400gr Speer 45-70

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Anyone have any experience with these for elk size game or larger? Im loading some up now that seem to shoot pretty well in my marlin SBL at a estimated 1650fps

I can’t comment on this bullet for elk but I have used it in a 14” Contender handgun on deer. One was a front quartering shot thru the shoulder and exited at the back of the far ribs. Destruction between was extensive. The second was a lung shot, tearing them up and exiting.
My guess that out to 100 yds it would be OK for elk but I would question it’s abilities on anything larger as it is a “soft” bullet.
Because you are looking at elk and larger, I’d look at the Barnes 300 gr TSX FN and the 400gr Swift FN and load them near max.

I can’t comment on this bullet for elk but I have used it in a 14” Contender handgun on deer. One was a front quartering shot thru the shoulder and exited at the back of the far ribs. Destruction between was extensive. The second was a lung shot, tearing them up and exiting.
My guess that out to 100 yds it would be OK for elk but I would question it’s abilities on anything larger as it is a “soft” bullet.
Because you are looking at elk and larger, I’d look at the Barnes 300 gr TSX FN and the 400gr Swift FN and load them near max.
Ive considered loading the 405gr woodleighs but they are out of stock at the moment and the swifts are $74 a box

Ive considered loading the 405gr woodleighs but they are out of stock at the moment and the swifts are $74 a box
I don’t know what you want to hunt that is bigger than an elk but I think the Speer’s are kind of maxed out at elk as they are a fairly soft bullet and not of Speer’s Hot-Core design.
Another bullet I thought of is Barnes 400 gr Buster.

I don’t know what you want to hunt that is bigger than an elk but I think the Speer’s are kind of maxed out at elk as they are a fairly soft bullet and not of Speer’s Hot-Core design.
Another bullet I thought of is Barnes 400 gr Buster.

Possibly moose, bears id probably use my 500 ne for fun

I know that people have successfully used 300 grain Barnes TTSX, and 350 grain Hornady on moose, out of a .458 SOCOM rifle. Ballistics are in the same ballpark with 45-70.

be careful with this bullet in 45/70.
it is meant to be loaded to about 1300 fps at the muzzle.
for this job they are good, but drive them harder and terminal results on big game will be reduced.
hard driven they would suit white tail and the next size up deer and pigs.
bruce.

Have any of you used the 405gr woodleighs?

I loaded up the 405gr Woodleigh for an Elk hunt some years ago. Never did pull the trigger on one.

I do have 89 of them on the bench that you can own, if you want to give them a whirl. Definitely a bullet that would still be on my short list if hunting Elk with a 45-70.

I haven't used them, but the Speer manuals indicate the 350 gr .458 bullet is designed for the larger game and higher velocities, rather than the 400 grain. A few guys I know that use the 45/70 for elk use the 350 gr Speer and have no complaints about it.

I haven't used them, but the Speer manuals indicate the 350 gr .458 bullet is designed for the larger game and higher velocities, rather than the 400 grain. A few guys I know that use the 45/70 for elk use the 350 gr Speer and have no complaints about it.

The OP is shooting a Marlin and the cannelure is in the wrong place to crimp and function in a lever gun.

I have some of these 350gr Speers on the bench and they have too long an ogive to work in his rifle...because they won't work in mine (unless they just recently redesigned it?)!

Right. The Speer 400 gr has two cannelures, one for use in the 458 Win Mag and a forward one when the OAL needs to fit in lever action 45/70s. The 350 is a tougher bullet (relative to the 400 gr) but unless .2" is trimmed from the case the OAL will be too long to cycle through the action.

Anyone else with some input? Have used the 400gr speer on 2 deer and a hog since this post was made. They seem a touch soft but i couldnt stop either one

The tube magazine limits you a bit. I have used the old rem 405 gr bullets on black bear that worked well, they exited so can't comment on how bullet held up.

Some good hard cast bullets might be an option if you want tougher.

The swift Aframe would be good for anything but I have just used them in a bolt action, I am not sure they make one for use in a lever. If they do be damned with the price and try them! Bullets are probably the cheapest part of a hunt, but the most important if you get a shot.

It does look like swift makes an a frame in a 400 grain flat nose. I would , and probably will if I can find them in Canada, grab them for the 45/70.

Craig

The tube magazine limits you a bit. I have used the old rem 405 gr bullets on black bear that worked well, they exited so can't comment on how bullet held up.

Some good hard cast bullets might be an option if you want tougher.

The swift Aframe would be good for anything but I have just used them in a bolt action, I am not sure they make one for use in a lever. If they do be damned with the price and try them! Bullets are probably the cheapest part of a hunt, but the most important if you get a shot.

It does look like swift makes an a frame in a 400 grain flat nose. I would , and probably will if I can find them in Canada, grab them for the 45/70.

Craig
I have some 405gr woodleighs floating around as well as some 405gr hardcast. I just have a damn accurate load and about 400 of the speers floating around. Most of my hunting is deer and elk, if i get moved back to alaska or somewhere i can hunt bigger game I'll probably move to hardcast or woodleighs only

Speer 400gr SP is a soft bullet. I prefer the 350gr Speer FN in my Marlin 1895 Trapper for Moose hunting. Crimp @ 2.600” OAL my load of IMR 4198 is outstanding with WW Brass and WLR primers.
excellent bullet performs like a Bonded Bullet very good weight retention .

Speer 400gr SP is a soft bullet. I prefer the 350gr Speer FN in my Marlin 1895 Trapper for Moose hunting. Crimp @ 2.600” OAL my load of IMR 4198 is outstanding with WW Brass and WLR primers.
excellent bullet performs like a Bonded Bullet very good weight retention .
I’ve had very good results with Imr4198 and 300-325 grain bullets from a Henry single shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois