.375 H& Moose Ammo

With the right bullet and placement anything from 308 to 375 can get the job done. And moose kill hunters every year. I use 375 probably overkill
 
My parents had a neighbor who was married to a tribal member so he got to hunt on the res in Northern Alberta every year for several years. He took a truckload of moose over that time. His favorite gun was a 338 win Mag using 300 gr power points. This is considerably different from a 375 with light weight Barnes, but the point is those 300 grains had a trajectory imitating a rainbow so I suspect he never took a shot that was over 200 yards.
 
Moose are babies - generally. Even a bad shot will usually find the moose dead in it's bed - if given time to stiffen up and die. Of course, be prepared to shoot him getting up, if really badly shot the first time, like a gut shot. Don't shoot them in the guts. The kill zone is almost 3' in diameter. Shoot him through the lungs. The result is a dead moose within 50 yards of where he was shot.
Few years back, I watched a moose shot through both lungs with a .530" round ball from a cheap production muzzleloader. The range was a lasered 170yards by his guide. I wouldn't have allowed the shot, had I been his guide as I watched the hunter miss an 11" x 8" target at a measly 100yards in camp using a rested shot off my portable bench rest. The hunter lucked the shot in perfectly, double lung and the heart. The moose took off like a horse out of the gate, dropping dead in 40yards. 1/2" hole through the heart and 1" holes throgh both lungs. The ball was under the hide on the off side. The impact vel. might have been 1,200fps, maybe, likely not that high.
Just make a good first shot
Chase him and he'll run like an elk.
 
During the rut, every year we called in bulls to inside 30yds, many times, 15 yards. With a rifle, usually inside 100 yds. My furthest shot on a bull during the rut was about 95, best guess. It’s easy to brain shoot one at that range, frontal, slightly angled and just above the eyeball.
 
I watched almost all of the WOLF video on Wash. State. Those wolves are grey wolves from B.C. They were purchased from the B.C. government by the US gvt. They were called "The Re-introduction of the grey wolf to Yellowstone". The grey wolf NEVER previously lived in Yellowstone Park. How do you re-introduce an animal that never lived there before. NO, but you can introduce a parisitical species that can wipe out ungulates in any area they inhabit. THAT is the f-----g grey wolf.
They have now spread out from Yellowstone, from Michigan to Californika. That includes Oregon and Wash. States.
The only way to "control" them, is with 1080.
B.C. tried, using strycnine on a wholesale poisoning program in the 1950's. That worked for 50 years, then the came back to haunt us. Welcome to wolf induced hell on ungulates. Unfortunately, after cleaning out the moose, elk and deer, the ranchers GET to keep feeding the devil wolf.
 
My vote would go towards the Barnes. Although, I feel most expanding hunting bullets would serve the purpose well.

I’ve taken two bull moose with a 145 gr LRX out of a 7 Mag. Both moose made it less than 100 yards.

The most recent bull, took one shot right on the shoulder, the LRX busted both shoulders and trashed its vitals. I recovered the bullet in the offside shoulder muscle.

I’ve attached a photo of the recovered bullet.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3328.jpeg
    IMG_3328.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 45
Everyone’s experience is different. I’ve only gotten one moose, Montana Tags are a tough draw.

Mine was in rut all amped up but I didn’t find him particularly weak.

About 200 yard shot, hit him through lungs solid. Second shot hit him there as well. Showed zero reaction to being shot and slowly turned to talk away. Flustered as I knew I was hitting him and my spotter said he was hit but didn’t know where and third shot went low in rear hindqurter( pulled shot down). Final round in the gun punched in behind the ribcage and penetrated to the neck and clipped the spine and dropped him.

.338 win mag using Barnes 210 TSX.
 
I like the OP’s idea of using a 375.

There is something to be said about hitting moose hard.

Where I hunt moose they tend to live in some very thick swamp/bush. Putting the moose down in short order is very important to avoid next to impossible tracking/ recovery jobs.

I would never feel under gunned with a 7 mag or 30-06 but bigger is definitely better. Why my new moose rifle is now a 35 Whelen!
 
Will your hunt be in grizzly country? I'd load for the bears, with having the best chance of stopping a charge in mind, if so. 300 grainers with a larger frontal bullet profile. Otherwise, i am sure they will all kill a moose just fine, but i'd be worried about meat damage below 270 grains in lead and perhaps 250 grains in copper. There are fellas out there of prodigious experience with this calibre who say nevermind complicating the matter, just load 300 grainers for everything and you'll be sorted just fine.
 
The Barnes will be fine . If that shoots good in your rifle just be confident in your skill shooting those distances and no worries.
For comparison I’m leaving in a week on a moose hunt and taking a 225g TSX in my 35 Whelen and have zero concerns.
Follow up shots are where I’m focusing my skills.
I have taken 4 moose with 225 gr in 35 whelen works great every time
 
I have shot almost a hundred moose, using a lot of different calibres, and my favourite is the 375H&H.
300 grs Nosler Partition at just 2300 fps will do the job. I don't know how many I've shot with this load but I have only recovered two bullets.
 
I have shot almost a hundred moose, using a lot of different calibres, and my favourite is the 375H&H.
300 grs Nosler Partition at just 2300 fps will do the job. I don't know how many I've shot with this load but I have only recovered two bullets.
How many countries did you go to each year
 
Moose are not particularly tough but they have large bones and one of the biggest stomach/intestines on the planet. There can be a lot of material to shoot through depending on your angles. For that reason, I like 270s in the .375 caliber. Any good soft or X will do fine. I say 270 instead of 300 just because you can have some longer shots on moose and might appreciate the flatter trajectory but I'm happy with any 270 or 300 in the .375. You might also gear up a notch for grizzly who really believe you shot that moose for them.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,257
Messages
1,569,967
Members
168,776
Latest member
maipesourri1973
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top