375 and reloader 16

In my opinion, yes. It seems likely that is the reason for the lack of published data, while there is data for powders of similar burning rate. Experiment could prove my opinion wrong but I no longer have a .375 to play with, relying on a 6.3x66 and a .416 instead.

I’m gonna bump this one up again. I have been shooting the 375 a lot with the 235gr Speer and CFE223. It is a great powder for those lighter bullets but I have some 300gr I’m wanting to try
Just checking to see if anyone has tried the RL16 by any chance

I use RL 17 exclusively. First for .375 H&H and now for the .375 Ruger. There is no reason RL 16 won't work.I would contact alliamt to see if they have data. That is what I did with RL17 because they weren't listing any and they actually had quite a bit of data for it. This is from the sierra loading manual if it helps. It is for .375 ruger. I would start 10% below this ans slowly work up with a chronograph. But the ruger case capacity isnt a huge difference from the H&H.it will give you a starting point. These are max loads!

Screenshot_20210726-212650.jpg

Screenshot_20210726-212701.jpg

Last edited:
I will do that. They actually just had reloader 17 at powder Valley and I kept jacking around with trying to get the reloader 15 and ended up missing out on the reloader 17 and the H4350 that they had. I'm going to contact them about the reloader 16. It is roughly an H4350 burn rate but apparently it is not very dense and people seem to think it will fill the case before reaching useable velocity but I haven't got to talk to anyone who has actually used it yet.

I will do that. They actually just had reloader 17 at powder Valley and I kept jacking around with trying to get the reloader 15 and ended up missing out on the reloader 17 and the H4350 that they had. I'm going to contact them about the reloader 16. It is roughly an H4350 burn rate but apparently it is not very dense and people seem to think it will fill the case before reaching useable velocity but I haven't got to talk to anyone who has actually used it yet.
I honestly think if you took the data I put up from sierra for .375 Ruger and reduced the RL16 load by 10% you would be well within the safety margin. Here are the starting loads from sierra for that gun and these would definitey be within safety limits in an H&H.

I loaded 75 grains RL17 for a 300 grain h&h load and that wasn't max in my gun. The starting load for RL17 for the 300 grain here is 70.4 grains. If you took .375 Ruger starting loads and assumed they are H&H mid range loads, you could work up from there.
Screenshot_20210726-221042.jpg
Screenshot_20210726-221052.jpg

also Alliant Power Pro 2000MR, RL15, and Win 760 look like good options. I know you have a bunch of RL16.

I use the 2000MR in my 9.3x62, I get better than published velocity and sub-MOA on the 286 gr bullets.

I'll keep an eye out for that. I also have a bunch of CFE223 and it works great with the 235gr bullets. I know it can be funny though if you don't have a good case fill. It's just a touch slower than varget and RL 15. I'm curious about its performance with the heavier bullets

@ChrisG thanks for that data, that gives me a good starting point. I can do a little extrapolating and I believe that will give me a decent starting point

For the .300H&H I am using the 300gn SGK, GM215M, 74.5gn VihtaVuori N550 and getting around 2580+/-. RL-16 & 17 should be similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you