375 ammo availability

charlieb

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m building a few stainless Winchester Model 70 guide style rifles, obviously in the awesome 375 h&h, but with that said it’s been brought to my attention that some are fond of the 375 Ruger, I know it’s 2022 and times are changing but was wandering if the 375Ruger ammo has started to show up in camps and Gunshop’s, I can build the 375 rugers off regular magnum actions, with a little opening of the action and have a shorter bolt throw rifle, with a shorter barrel and same ballistics, I’m taking my personal opinion out of it and hopefully receive info from future customers, these will be bedded in McMillan Stocks with NEGC sights and barrel bands and Sunny Hill bottom metal, thanks guys as I’m really excited about this! Too bad Winchester stopped building the excellent Classic model 70 and went to Portugal! That simple trigger was perfect! So I intend to keep it goin!

Tough one this topic -

There is 100 years of tradition and sales behind the H&H. That is a massively pervasive fielding/amount of inertia. One would be VERY hard pressed to NOT find H&H ammo in an African hunting camp.

However - the .375 Ruger is an easier to use/reload cartridge (no belt separation issue, headspaces on the shoulder). It is growing in users.
- The Ruger can provide a lighter and shorter action
- The Ruger can either beat the H&H for velocity, or provide the same velocity with a 4" shorter barrel, so back to lighter again
- The standard (.30-06 length action is less expensive than the magnum action prudent to use for an H&H

Federal and Winchester are playing childish games and won't make the ammo because it is a Hornady gig, the only current large manufacturer making ammo for it.

Maybe the answer, if you can't work solely off of orders, is to make a run of each - 75% H&H, 25% Ruger? You could play with the %s how you like (1/3 to 2/3?)

I am seriously starting to consider buying a SECOND .375 Ruger (2 is 1, 1 is none) just to insure I always have one. That is how much I like the .375 Ruger.

I also have on my list a .375 H&H. The H&H is like the .30-06 - it ain't going away any time soon.

Well, here is one data point for you/my vote.

+1 The 375 Ruger is a good cartridge. I own an Ruger Alaskan model.
If the ammunition companies stop the petty "mine is bigger than yours" games it will be a GREAT cartridge!

What the 375H&H has done over the past 100 years is give an incredible number of reloading opportunities from nearly every bullet maker in multiple weights and different constructions. If you have the ability to reload the 375RUGER, it takes the petty ammo manufacturers out of the equation.

Granted, it doesn't do much for being able to find it in a remote camp, but still...it's something. The 375RUGER will stand the test of time, much like the 300WM lives along side the older 30-06. However it will take more than 15 years for the Ruger cartridge to catch up to the H&H. If I had to guess, I'd say another 15 years would put it in most stores serving the brown bear, moose and dangerous game camps of the world.

My vote is still for the H&H at this time.

There are many ballistically superior cartridges that have come and gone. The 375 h&h has proven its here to stay. I entered the 375 world last year for the first time and really debated ruger or h&h. At the end of all my research (ph and store owners opinions) I bought the h&h.

I have a Rem XCR II Rifle that I had rechambered to 375 Weatherby. Besides the rechambering I had Kevin Weaver add a Sako extractor and weld the bolt handle on I shoots factory 375 H&H Ammo into sum MOA groups, does better with handloads that are a minimum of 200 fps faster. It's recoil is a little snappy since it only weighs 7.5 lbs with scope and sling unloaded. It's a joy to carry and puts the baddies down with dispatch

Federal and Winchester are playing childish games and won't make the ammo because it is a Hornady gig, the only current large manufacturer making ammo for it.
Swift makes ammo in 375 Ruger using their superb 300 grain A Frames and their new solid.

Ruger also builds their Guide Gun in 375 Ruger so you would be competing with a very solid, reasonably low cost factory rifle.

I would definitely emphasize the H&H version. Seems like that would be where you would find the better market;)

I like the .375 Ruger, it is a great idea. But it is unlikely to unseat the King, .375 H&H. Look at it another way. The 7x57 is almost obsolete, and has certainly been surpassed by several better cartridges. The 7mm08 is certainly a superior design. Shoots the same bullet faster, more efficient use of powder, fits in a shorter action, and is perhaps more accurate. Kinda like the Ruger- H&H comparison. I own Three 7x57 rifles, but no 7mm08. I've owned five .375 H&H rifles, still have one. Probably will never own a .375 Ruger.
The .375 Ruger is paddling upstream against a current of tradition, nostalgia, style, and prejudice. Limited ammunition supply from ONE American company doesn't help its prospects either. The .375 Ruger is simply not a worldwide standard. And will never be one while the ammunition is only loaded by one USA company.

Charlie— I vote for the HH— I would love to see pics of one of your finished products along with prices— thanks

What the 375H&H has done over the past 100 years is give an incredible number of reloading opportunities from nearly every bullet maker in multiple weights and different constructions. If you have the ability to reload the 375RUGER, it takes the petty ammo manufacturers out of the equation.

Granted, it doesn't do much for being able to find it in a remote camp, but still...it's something. The 375RUGER will stand the test of time, much like the 300WM lives along side the older 30-06. However it will take more than 15 years for the Ruger cartridge to catch up to the H&H. If I had to guess, I'd say another 15 years would put it in most stores serving the brown bear, moose and dangerous game camps of the world.

My vote is still for the H&H at this
Charlie— I vote for the HH— I would love to see pics of one of your finished products along with prices— thanks
Ok, should have one wrapped up soon. I leave for a brown bear hunt the 20th of this month! I’ll post pictures for all to see!

I prefer the original, as made by Holland & Holland in 1912. Accurate, ample penetration and ammunition can be found all over Africa. Plus, it’s been bagging a truckload of game for me since ‘74.
2D30F7B9-9090-417B-B496-7B5FF6F20B32.jpeg
DAAA2354-B3F4-42A3-8220-4ED392D28C8D.jpeg
391DA716-1105-4C56-9321-3077D69DAC5D.jpeg
B52CC9AC-4310-45C6-88B3-A19D098838EE.jpeg
E64BF41C-B21D-42EC-8199-C36B432163C6.jpeg
48F93562-55CF-4C3D-8832-AF7729C004D2.jpeg
7C392C5B-F56B-49DC-A970-B714214C8FA2.jpeg
FD5C029C-4B11-4CF1-B400-2FE0668E9E6F.jpeg

That said, I’ve got nothing against the .375 Ruger. Except that the ammunition for it is relatively uncommon compared to the Holland & Holland.

And will never be one while the ammunition is only loaded by one USA company.
Swift makes factory ammo in 375 Ruger as well as Hornady. I used the Swift factory loads on grizzly in AK in my Ruger Guide Gun.

I prefer the original, as made by Holland & Holland in 1912. Accurate, ample penetration and ammunition can be found all over Africa. Plus, it’s been bagging a truckload of game for me since ‘74.
View attachment 489320View attachment 489321View attachment 489322View attachment 489323View attachment 489324View attachment 489325View attachment 489326View attachment 489327
That said, I’ve got nothing against the .375 Ruger. Except that the ammunition for it is relatively uncommon compared to the Holland & Holland.
Congrats sir fine trophy’s!

Swift makes ammo in 375 Ruger using their superb 300 grain A Frames and their new solid.
If you can find anything from Swift these days

I wouldn't make too light a .375 whatever. Heft=recoil management and accurate shooting. H&H is where you'll always find ammo in camp (when it doesn't show up at the airport.) A 375 doesn't need additional Velocity, either. How wonderful of them to recreate the very same thing (in a pretty package) a century later...That's the MO of nearly every industry. I'll take 13 lb 375HH over a 9 lb RCM anyday. 'Never, ever heard a PH ask me if I had any Ruger ammo left over after the hunt.... ;)

Vollmer and Hawk are probably the best bet for 375 flat nose bullet availability. I have tried the Hawk bullets and the 250's shoot pretty darn good. Still working on a good recipe for the Vollmer 220's.

I lucked into 3 boxes of Sierra 200 grainers at my LGS a couple of weeks ago. No idea why he had them but there they were..all three came home with me! LOL! This LGS doesn't have 338 cal bullets on hand, just the most popular handgun and rifle calibers.

I see the ammo and rifle market a bit differently-the big companies are building the most popular first which is bla bla PRC. There isn’t much call for any .375 in the whitetail woods or antelope plains or long distance target range. And comparatively scant few asking companies for it.
The .375 h&h is going to hold its own but I think the others will shrink in popularity as hunting opportunities decrease. If it were me I would stay with tried and true .375 h&h unless someone specifically requested that ruger caliber. I like it but I see it as a very thin market.
It has been said but I think it is worth repeating-load your own or buy the components and have someone do it for you.

View attachment 489320View attachment 489321View attachment 489322View attachment 489323View attachment 489324View attachment 489325View attachment 489326View attachment 489327
Congrats sir fine trophys
I see the ammo and rifle market a bit differently-the big companies are building the most popular first which is bla bla PRC. There isn’t much call for any .375 in the whitetail woods or antelope plains or long distance target range. And comparatively scant few asking companies for it.
The .375 h&h is going to hold its own but I think the others will shrink in popularity as hunting opportunities decrease. If it were me I would stay with tried and true .375 h&h unless someone specifically requested that ruger caliber. I like it but I see it as a very thin market.
It has been said but I think it is worth repeating-load your own or buy the components and have someone do it for you.
i reload but my reloading room won’t do ya any good in Africa lol, that’s why I posted to ask and everyone opinion matters as we’re all invested in the dark continent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.