.358 Norma - Is this an option?

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Can you convert a .358 Hoosier into a .358 Norma?

A good friend and hunting buddy of mine is from Indiana originally and apparently Indiana used to have some rather restrictive laws for hunting deer with a rifle and the caliber that could be used; so he ended up buying a custom rifle in .358 Hoosier - Caliber was designed for the sole purpose of meeting Indiana's regulations.

Well after buying this custom rifle in .358 Hoosier Indiana decided to change their laws and allow pretty much any centerfire rifle.

Now he has a .358 Hoosier and no use for it - So I'm thinking of buying the rifle from him and having it converted to .358 Norma.

I believe this will be as simple as having the chamber reamed and the bolt face opened up slightly...does anyone see any issues that I am over looking with this idea?

I converted a 30-06 into a 308 Norma with no issues. Re-chambered and opened the bolt face. The Hoosier should be able to convert in the same way.
I shoot a 358 Norma in a factory Husqvarna rifle and especially like its performance on moose.
Factory ammo is available from Norma with 250gr Oryx bullets which have worked well on black bears. I do reload and used Nosler Partitions for my moose.

Although converting to .358 Norma is an option, why not simplify the conversion and rechamber to .35 Whelen? Much easier to find or form brass. Only losing ~100-150 fps and lighter recoil.

Hoosier and 358 Win can be chambered in a short action. That is nice. But not a simple matter of a chambering reamer to make into the old 358 Norma. Of course, if your Hoosier is already in the appropriate action length, that may give you the option. Bolt face, feed rails, re-chamber. The standard (sometimes called long) case required (all those around 2.50inches) for the 358 (or 308) Norma require the 30-06 length action, not the 308 length action. So can you convert a Hoosier into a Norma? Only if you have the correct action to begin with. Then you can convert one obsolete caliber to another...................have fun....................FWB

Can you convert a .358 Hoosier into a .358 Norma?

A good friend and hunting buddy of mine is from Indiana originally and apparently Indiana used to have some rather restrictive laws for hunting deer with a rifle and the caliber that could be used; so he ended up buying a custom rifle in .358 Hoosier - Caliber was designed for the sole purpose of meeting Indiana's regulations.

Well after buying this custom rifle in .358 Hoosier Indiana decided to change their laws and allow pretty much any centerfire rifle.

Now he has a .358 Hoosier and no use for it - So I'm thinking of buying the rifle from him and having it converted to .358 Norma.

I believe this will be as simple as having the chamber reamed and the bolt face opened up slightly...does anyone see any issues that I am over looking with this idea?
@deewayne2003
Save money getting the bolt face opened up and a rechamber job as the rifle is probably built on a 308 length action as that is what the Hoosier is based on.leave it as is or just rechamber to 358 Winchester.
If per chance it is built on a long action just get it done to 35 Whelen a and load it properly.
Bob

My LH .358 Norma Magnum started life as a Ruger 77 Mark II in 7mm Remington Magnum, which I had rebored and rechambered. Although I have shot most of my life from the right shoulder, an eye condition has forced me to switch and I have accumulated a few genuine left handed rifles, including a Winchester Model 70 in .338 WM and a LH Weatherby .300 Magnum, neither of which I have taken hunting. I did use the Norma rifle last deer season, and bagged two, using moderate cast bullet loads.

One advantage of the Norma Magnum is that cases are easily reformed from 7mm Remington Magnum brass, which used to be inexpensive on the second hand once fired market, and I suspect will be once again, when this pandemic business subsides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg