Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I have used three .35 Whelen rifles, and they have given me good service. A Remington 700 with 1-16" twist, a custom Ruger #1 with 1-14" and my current Sako AV classic rebarreled with 1-12" twist. I only shoot 250 grain bullets, except for fooling with 225's a couple of times. All three shot well, all three were effective on game, all three could safely reach 2500 fps / 250 gr. with IMR 4064 or Varget or RL15. I like the 1-12" twist Sako the best, not because of the twist but because it fits me the best. So I got rid of the others. Would like to try the new Speer loads with CFE223 powder, but actually find I have no need for more speed than I already get with the older powders.
Long Walker
Try the Speer loads with cfe223 you will be very happy with the extra performance and extended range. It will be just as accurate with that load maybe even more so. My Whelen cuts clover leaf groups with their load.
Cheers mate Bob

walk-in

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Resident Hunters of Alaska
Hunted
United States, Canada
I currently own a 35 Whelen that started life as a Ruger 77 Mk II in 30-06 and was rebarrelled before I bought it. It has a 1:14 twist. I've used it for the last 15 years or so with 250 gr. Kodiak bullets (no longer available, unfortunately). I've killed several moose and at least 1 caribou and black bear with it. It just so happens that I've never been carrying it when I've come across a grizzly. I've been generally satisfied with it, but I think that the barrel is too light since it was made to the same external contours as the factory '06 barrel in order to fit the original stock.

Just yesterday I ordered a new barrel from Krieger for the 35 Whelen that I will be building on a Husqvarna action. I ordered it with a 1:12 twist. I will continue to shoot my 250 gr. Kodiak bullets until I use them up, and then probably switch to Swift A-frames. I haven't been unhappy with the Ruger, but I expect this one to be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GioUno

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh