AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
RSA
Would anyone here like to share information they have for safe reloading data on the 35 Whelen? I've found a few guides online from Speer, Nosler, Hogdon, etc., but with varying information for Start / Max powder charges when using same weight bullets (different brands) and same powders.

Specifically, I have the following components to choose from. POWDER: Varget, CFE 223, Hodgdon 4895, Imr 4064 and Imr 4895. Bullets: 225gr Accubond and 250 gr Partition

I appreciate any input you can provide. Please provide a source for where you load data come from where possible. I can/will purchase manuals or guide books as needed, but prefer to have an idea of my purchases having useful information and not based on components I don't have.

Looks to me like you have everything you need listed off. One place you could ask is Woodleigh. Very responsive to email requests for load data for their bullets.

Folks here are reluctant to publish their own data and encourage others to responsibly do their own thing. Great caliber by the way.

Thanks @gbflyer

To be clear, I am not asking anyone to list their personal load data, especiallyif they do not feel comfortabledoing so. I am looking for helpful leads on where to find published data that uses my components. Just as you referenced woodleigh as a possible resource I can use, especially if I get ahold of some of their components.

For example, if the Hornady 11th edition of handloading lists an option for 225 gr bullet with CFE 223 powder, I am asking for the name of the manual, book, or a link to website. I will happily purchase resources, but would rather know they contain useful information than buying blind in hopes it has something useful or different than what I have.

Thanks again!

On a separate note, the Hornady Superformance factory loads are a great start for me. 4 shot group at 100 yards after getting sighted in today, and I called the pulled shot to the right before the gun settled back on target. About 1/2 MOA for the good 3 shots, the first 2 were the stacked pair.

20210808_112123.jpg

I’m not at my bench right now, but I can tell you that IMR 4064 has been an excellent load for me with a 25” bbl whelen shooting both 200gr ttsx as well as 200gr accubond…

I’ll check when I’m back at the bench the next time, but I believe my load is in the mid range of what nosler recommends for a 200gr projectile and IMR4064, and I’m getting about 2700fps and sub 1” groups with both the ttsx and the accubond (same powder charge for both)

Thanks @gbflyer

To be clear, I am not asking anyone to list their personal load data, especiallyif they do not feel comfortabledoing so. I am looking for helpful leads on where to find published data that uses my components. Just as you referenced woodleigh as a possible resource I can use, especially if I get ahold of some of their components.

For example, if the Hornady 11th edition of handloading lists an option for 225 gr bullet with CFE 223 powder, I am asking for the name of the manual, book, or a link to website. I will happily purchase resources, but would rather know they contain useful information than buying blind in hopes it has something useful or different than what I have.

Thanks again!
since different bullets have different constructions jacket alloy, bearing surface, etc., i would start with the data from whoever makes the bullets you are interested in using

Would anyone here like to share information they have for safe reloading data on the 35 Whelen? I've found a few guides online from Speer, Nosler, Hogdon, etc., but with varying information for Start / Max powder charges when using same weight bullets (different brands) and same powders.

Specifically, I have the following components to choose from. POWDER: Varget, CFE 223, Hodgdon 4895, Imr 4064 and Imr 4895. Bullets: 225gr Accubond and 250 gr Partition

I appreciate any input you can provide. Please provide a source for where you load data come from where possible. I can/will purchase manuals or guide books as needed, but prefer to have an idea of my purchases having useful information and not based on components I don't have.
@Tbitty
With all load data start at the minimum and work up to a safe working load. A chronograph is also a good help.
Different bullets have different properties such as jacket/core hardness, bearing surface ect.
I wouldn't use speers data for thier 225gn gameking when loading an accubond.
Speer hotcore and nosler Partitions are pretty interchangeable
I use CFE223 exclusively in my Whelen and spent a long time working up loads with it.
With the 225gn nosler accubond with CFE223 I started at 61gn as Nd worked up to 64gn. This gave me 2,900fps over the chrono with no pressure signs so I called that my SAFE working load.
I use several hard copy manuals pus on line data plus Wayne blackells load from a disc.
I ALWAYS start from the minimum and work up to the velocity I want AS LONG AS IT IS SAFE.
Cases brand as well as as projectiles can influence loads as well. When you change one component work up again.
There is a lot of good load info on this site about the Whelen.
Bob

@Tbitty
With all load data start at the minimum and work up to a safe working load. A chronograph is also a good help.
Different bullets have different properties such as jacket/core hardness, bearing surface ect.
I wouldn't use speers data for thier 225gn gameking when loading an accubond.
Speer hotcore and nosler Partitions are pretty interchangeable
I use CFE223 exclusively in my Whelen and spent a long time working up loads with it.
With the 225gn nosler accubond with CFE223 I started at 61gn as Nd worked up to 64gn. This gave me 2,900fps over the chrono with no pressure signs so I called that my SAFE working load.
I use several hard copy manuals pus on line data plus Wayne blackells load from a disc.
I ALWAYS start from the minimum and work up to the velocity I want AS LONG AS IT IS SAFE.
Cases brand as well as as projectiles can influence loads as well. When you change one component work up again.
There is a lot of good load info on this site about the Whelen.
Bob
Thanks Bob. Any experience with the 250 grain partition and starting loads? The CFE223 powder has been the hardest to find online data for.

Thanks Bob. Any experience with the 250 grain partition and starting loads? The CFE223 powder has been the hardest to find online data for.
@Tbitty
I've had no experience with the Partitions in any way shape or form.
The 250 gn speer is good for practice in place of the Partitions according to others as it has the same bc and impact as the noslers.

I found with the Hornady 250gr roundnose I had to go up another 2 grains to get the desired velocity as it has a smaller bearing surface.
The load I use for the 225gn accubonds and 225gn Woodleigh PPSP are exactly the same.
When I can get to the range again I am going to load up some 225gn Woodleigh RNSPs and 275gn PPSPs and see what they can do.
LOOK at what others are using as well on the forum for the Whelen. One is getting over 3,000fps with 200gr projectiles.
Load data for CFE223 is hard to find, fortunately I have load from a disc. It's burn rate sits between Varget and H4350.
Some one might tell you superformance powder is what they use in factory superformance loads. IT IS NOT and far to slow for the Whelen.
Hope this helps
Bob.

How much Bullet set-back if any are you guys using if any?

May have missed this, but what rifle do you have?

Not a super experienced Whelen reloader, but I have tried several powders and bullets and I am using the 250 speer hot cor bullet with cfe223 powder in nosler cases. I found the 225 Woodleigh also shot similar accuracy out of my rifle and I might hunt that bullet some year. I also use this powder in another cartridge and the copper fouling eraser really works. Load data is available here for that speer (if I did the link right)...

250 Speer data

Attachments

• 35_Whelen_250.pdf
    324.4 KB · Views: 195

@Tbitty
How's the reloading going for the Whelen mate

@Tbitty
How's the reloading going for the Whelen mate
Slow. A few other projects got in my way from spending much time at the loading bench. Add the hunt for regular Large Rifle primers and it equals a whole lot of nothing loaded yet.

But for now, I've got a few boxes of Superformance that's been good to me.

I’m not at my bench right now, but I can tell you that IMR 4064 has been an excellent load for me with a 25” bbl whelen shooting both 200gr ttsx as well as 200gr accubond…

I’ll check when I’m back at the bench the next time, but I believe my load is in the mid range of what nosler recommends for a 200gr projectile and IMR4064, and I’m getting about 2700fps and sub 1” groups with both the ttsx and the accubond (same powder charge for both)
2023 new Lee 51th reloading book states you can get 2900+ fps with a 200 gr. Hornady/Speer with quite a bit of projectile weights. from 180 to 280 gr bullets, and a lot of powder choices, maybe that will help you cheers Tony PS I use it with my custom Mauser chambered and 35 Whelen I find, 250 grain spear, grand slam, or Hornaday SP, is a great all-around goes through medium game without edible meat damage, and an all around bear, moose, elk stopper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg