Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Was able to get my M70 Alaskan with 25" bbl. to the range today and do some chrono on various loads from medium weight to heavy. These loads have shown to be accurate with the exception of the 275 gr Speer load which has not been papered yet, just ran 4 over the new chrono.

Big surprise to me was one 250 gr Win Silvertip load, an old one that on the box claims 2700 fps. I had in my mind maybe 2600 at most but it actually turned in 2657 fps for a muzzle energy ME, of 3920 lbs. Not bad for an old yellow box factory load.

Tried two 225 Speers with IMR4831 that averaged 2910 for 4230 ME.

Tried some 250 Hornady RN with IMR4350 and the top load produced 2716fps for 4100 ME. That seemed like a max load with that powder, it may be a bit fast.

Now before Bob Whelen gets all excited thinking he has all my loads beat with the mighty Whelen, listen up.

250 Hornady Spires with Reloader 22. Top load produced 2830 fps for 4445 ME. No pressure signs but I would consider the charge to be about max.

Some 275 gr Speers over MagPro powder, top load gave 2480 fps for 3756 ME. This powder is a bit slow for the round however I also had more powder room so may experiment further after I see how they group, like to get that bullet up over 2600 fps.

So based on this session I think we can put to rest the idea that the Whelen "leaves the .338 mag in the dust", or "the Whelen is better" etc.

Enjoy Bob!

PM if interested in powder charges or particulars, as some are over book max, but have been seen in others chrono work on other forums etc.

Reminds me of my prep for my first safari.
Only I was shooting only Winchester factory loads in my .338.
After shooting 210, 230, and 250 grain loads at the range, I settled on the 230 grain.
I shot 6 animals with one shot kills and loaned the rifle to my hunting buddy for another one shot BANG on a BIG Eland.
A very accurate and very ammo efficient cartridge!

Was able to get my M70 Alaskan with 25" bbl. to the range today and do some chrono on various loads from medium weight to heavy. These loads have shown to be accurate with the exception of the 275 gr Speer load which has not been papered yet, just ran 4 over the new chrono.

Big surprise to me was one 250 gr Win Silvertip load, an old one that on the box claims 2700 fps. I had in my mind maybe 2600 at most but it actually turned in 2657 fps for a muzzle energy ME, of 3920 lbs. Not bad for an old yellow box factory load.

Tried some 250 Hornady RN with IMR4350 and the top load produced 2716fps for 4100 ME. That seemed like a max load with that powder, it may be a bit fast.

Now before Bob Whelen gets all excited thinking he has all my loads beat with the mighty Whelen, listen up.

250 Hornady Spires with Reloader 22. Top load produced 2830 fps for 4445 ME. No pressure signs but I would consider the charge to be about max.

Some 275 gr Speers over MagPro powder, top load gave 2480 fps for 3756 ME. This powder is a bit slow for the round however I also had more powder room so may experiment further after I see how they group, like to get that bullet up over 2600 fps.

So based on this session I think we can put to rest the idea that the Whelen "leaves the .338 mag in the dust", or "the Whelen is better" etc.

Enjoy Bob!

PM if interested in powder charges or particulars, as some are over book max, but have been seen in others chrono work on other forums etc.
@sestoppelman
Mate it's good to see you experimenting with the 338WM and are getting it to perform how it really should.
Welcome to the 21st century where new things are there to play with.

I will still say the 35 Whelen is a great cartridge when loaded properly.
I will still hang shit on @CoElkHunter for his miserable choice.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Going to the range early today, hoping to beat the rain forecasted for about noon. Trying some 225 gr Swift A Frames over H4350. I don't have a huge inventory of bullets, so hopefully I can find something I like quickly. I think 2750 to 2800 fps is ideal.

@sestoppelman
Mate it's good to see you experimenting with the 338WM and are getting it to perform how it really should.
Welcome to the 21st century where new things are there to play with.

I will still say the 35 Whelen is a great cartridge when loaded properly.
I will still hang shit on @CoElkHunter for his miserable choice.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
The Whelen is a great cartridge! Been one of my favorites for over 30 years, had more than a few. My Ruger No.1-S Whelen is a great rifle. (y)

I had a pretty good morning at the range, as I had the entire place to myself. This is the MagnetoSpeed data I collected for the 338 WM test loads with H4350 and 225 gr Swift AF bullets. For Load 1, one of the shots didn't record data. The data is a little strange with velocity a little lower for a larger charge, but I've seen this before. The great news is Load 4 and 5 shot very tight groups. Swift A Frames are as precious as gold right now, so I think I am going to load up 10 more with the Load 4 of 67.5 grs and go shoot 5 at 100 and 5 at 200 yards. If it all holds together, the remaining 40 SAFs will be loaded and ready to go to Alaska this Fall.

I have a couple of boxes of factory Hornady Outfitter ammo, with the 225 gr. GMX These shoot great in my rifle too, but a different POI.

1653417781263.png

1653418266958.jpeg

The Whelen is a great cartridge! Been one of my favorites for over 30 years, had more than a few. My Ruger No.1-S Whelen is a great rifle. (y)
@sestoppelman
Do you load the Whelen as it should be though. 100fps with the 250gr out of the 338 is a good improvement but is all the extra,powder worth writing about it in song and story.
I do like my Whelen and if others choose different that's fine it what makes the world interesting.
Bob

I had a pretty good morning at the range, as I had the entire place to myself. This is the MagnetoSpeed data I collected for the 338 WM test loads with H4350 and 225 gr Swift AF bullets. For Load 1, one of the shots didn't record data. The data is a little strange with velocity a little lower for a larger charge, but I've seen this before. The great news is Load 4 and 5 shot very tight groups. Swift A Frames are as precious as gold right now, so I think I am going to load up 10 more with the Load 4 of 67.5 grs and go shoot 5 at 100 and 5 at 200 yards. If it all holds together, the remaining 40 SAFs will be loaded and ready to go to Alaska this Fall.

I have a couple of boxes of factory Hornady Outfitter ammo, with the 225 gr. GMX These shoot great in my rifle too, but a different POI.

View attachment 467785

View attachment 467788
@375 Ruger Fan
You need to get @sestoppelman to give you his loads for the 225gn . Less than 2,800fps out of the 338 is up to200fps slower than the Whelen with 2,950fps.
Bob

@sestoppelman
Do you load the Whelen as it should be though. 100fps with the 250gr out of the 338 is a good improvement but is all the extra,powder worth writing about it in song and story.
I do like my Whelen and if others choose different that's fine it what makes the world interesting.
Bob
I have been experimenting with your loads Bob. 25 years ago everyone was content with standard range loads in the Whelen, I was.
The extra powder doesnt really amount to much 10 so grains, big deal. The real difference comes in being able to utilize the slower burning powders that the Whelen doesnt have enuf room to properly burn.
As to song and story? Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black aint it? LOL
:p:ROFLMAO::eek::W Dynamite::A Outta:

Enjoy Bob!

@sestoppelman
Got to the range with some 275gn and 310s
20220618_081516.jpg

My best load with the 275gn Woodleigh PPSP.
20220618_081703.jpg

20220618_081705.jpg

2 more shots with the 275s with a bit less powder. More pleasing to shoot. All over 4,000fpe at the muzzle. Still treading hard on the heels of the 338WM.
Either the 338 or the Whelen are capable of throwing bigger bullets a long ways with a lot of hurt way out. No animal will tell the difference. Both will get the job done without issues. The 338 wins by a fraction with SD.
Bob

Hey Bob!

Got my No.1 Whelen out today. Shooting a load with AA4064 which is said to be slightly slower than IMR4064, with 225 Nosler Partitions. Shot really well, warm day here but even with a hot barrel loads averaged MOA and the last load fired was sub MOA.
That was 58 grs of powder, OAL of 3.415", no signs of pressure, 24" bbl.
So whats your best guess for velocity?

I am thinking maybe 2700 or so?

Gentlemen - Try the Barnes 225 grain TTSX. Great bullet with RL19, RL15, and H/IMR4350.
Mine launches at 3007 FPS with 79 grains of RL19 and F210 primer. Killed all plains game in Africa on two trips with one shot each.

Gentlemen - Try the Barnes 225 grain TTSX. Great bullet with RL19, RL15, and H/IMR4350.
Mine launches at 3007 FPS with 79 grains of RL19 and F210 primer. Killed all plains game in Africa on two trips with one shot each.
What cartridge? Yes, great bullet, have used it in .338 Win mag.

@Jonathan Kashouty
Man that's motoring. I take it that’s in a 338.
Bob

I just starting working with my M70 338. I’m not home right now, so I can’t give you hard numbers. Speer has some really great load data with Reloader 26 and a 250 grain.

I am well under their max charge and pushing 2800 with a 250 gr partition. No pressure signs at all, but the velocity was telling me that I’ve got to be getting up there. So I suspended testing and need to do some 0.5 gr loads to work my way up. I would be absolutely thrilled if I can get 2800-2850 with a 250.

By the way, this powder also works great in 243 and data looks awesome for 279 Win.

If you look at my first post here, I was getting over 2800 with a 250 using R22.
I would have thought R26 would be a bit too slow to get full speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!