.322 Rigby

RyanPalmer

AH member
Joined
Sep 26, 2024
Messages
40
Reaction score
110
Location
OR
Anybody else catch Marc mentioning a .322 Rigby on the latest Rigby podcast? Developed in 1916 but not produced, parent case is .416 Rigby. Marc called it “essentially a .338 Lapua.” They start taking about it at the 14:30 mark. Seems pretty interesting to me.
 
It is depicted in Pierre v W book

Essentially they used the .404 case pattern size to reform to .330 for the .318 WR bullet , but ww2 came about .

I had a Brno 602 some years ago I had thought about dropping the wildcat and get tools to make the .322 as the first one . But gunsmith refused when he found which case it of . So there went the chance to have the first ever irl .322 Rigby .

Also I spoke with Marc it would been cool to see it made also , and he said then it was in the future .

Hope the future is soon . Would been interesting to see what it could do .

It is .338 Lap ballistics 70 years earlier .
 
It is depicted in Pierre v W book

Essentially they used the .404 case pattern size to reform to .330 for the .318 WR bullet , but ww2 came about .

I had a Brno 602 some years ago I had thought about dropping the wildcat and get tools to make the .322 as the first one . But gunsmith refused when he found which case it of . So there went the chance to have the first ever irl .322 Rigby .

Also I spoke with Marc it would been cool to see it made also , and he said then it was in the future .

Hope the future is soon . Would been interesting to see what it could do .

It is .338 Lap ballistics 70 years earlier .
That sounds like it would have been a nice rifle if you could have gotten it done. I mentioned it here because I hadn’t heard about Rigby launching anything new lately.
 
It would be a nearly identical twin to the 330 Dakota wildcat. The Dakota calibers are all based on 404 Brass and they use the shoulder angles PO Ackley recommended for accuracy and powder capacity.

The reason I'd rather they not make the 322 Rigby today is the frustration of proprietary bullet diameters. It's very hard to find oddball bullets and of course the whole point of a 322 Rigby would be for very long shots where you'd want a precision pointed tip, boat tailed bullet. That doesn't exist in the bullet types that exist today greater than .308 and less than .338 diameter.
 
Would be very cool if they bought it to market.

In moments of irrationality over the years, I have looked at the drawings and had thoughts of calling CH4D, Bruce Bertram and Manson. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
That doesn't exist in the bullet types that exist today greater than .308 and less than .338 diameter.
Except in 8mm but I get what you're saying.
If you delve into cartridge development in the pre WW2 era you'll find all sorts of designs which modern developers think they've invented.
 
Would be very cool if they bought it to market.

In moments of irrationality over the years, I have looked at the drawings and had thoughts of calling CH4D, Bruce Bertram and Manson. :rolleyes:

Well, they have the means to help you make this happen
 
Hi,

In 1916 times it was IMPOSIBLE to match today 338 Lapua ballistics. Didn´t exist any suitable powder that can do that.
Even the 30-06 had, back then, had a case needlessly big for the powders of the era! The 8x57 and 7,65x53 were great designed ones for that times. Even today...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,296
Messages
1,570,900
Members
169,048
Latest member
binisebac1979
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top