300 WSM Tikka versus Savage!

KevinM

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a 300 WSM in either a Tikka Super Varmint or a Savage MOD 12 VLP. The Savage has a 26 inch barrel with the Tikka having a 24 inch barrel. I will be getting a grs stock. Main purpose being long range hunting. Which one is the better option? I have no experience with Tikka or Savage. Current rifles being BRNO and Winchester Mod 70....

Really a matter of personal preference I think.. Both Tikka and Savage are known to be good, accurate shooters.. and would make good starting points for long range...

I own exactly 1 savage.. its an ugly beast of a rifle.. no matter what I do to it, it will never be a "pretty" gun.. but it is undeniably accurate and reliable.. Ive owned a couple of other savages over the years.. none of them have ever had any problems and all were very accurate right off the shelf..

I dont currently own any TIkka.. but have had one T3 in 7MM Rem Mag in the past.. It was also accurate and reliable (and a bit nicer to look at than the savages)..

If I could find a good deal on either in 300 WSM, I wouldnt hesitate to own either of them.. both will accomplish the same mission for you just fine...

I don't know? I bought my first Savage (110) in .25-06 with a 24" barrel about 6 months ago. Very smooth action and dead nuts accurate. I'm leaning towards a Tikka T3 Lite for a .308 with a 22.4" barrel. However, I've never shot one and don't personally know anyone who owns one. I would prefer a 26" barrel in a fast magnum like my Browning A Bolt .338 or Remington 700 .300WM. To each their own, but I'm 6'2" with long arms, so I NEED a longer LOP and the 26" barrels feel more balanced to ME than a "whippy" 20 or 22" barrel? Guess I'm just a freak! LOL

I like Tikkas, for the price they are great.
I have a GRS Bifrost and hoping to set up a Tikka in .260rem.

I'm sure Savage are good but with so many Aftermarket Tikka parts I just find I can swap accessories over several rifles of I want to reconfigure one.

@CoElkHunter my .280a.i. has a long length of pull on the Precision Defence industries Carbon Fibre featherweight .
It has a .26" IBI C/F wrapped barrel makes it feel front heavy but stable in the field. Probably just right for you.

I like Tikkas, for the price they are great.
I have a GRS Bifrost and hoping to set up a Tikka in .260rem.

I'm sure Savage are good but with so many Aftermarket Tikka parts I just find I can swap accessories over several rifles of I want to reconfigure one.

@CoElkHunter my .280a.i. has a long length of pull on the Precision Defence industries Carbon Fibre featherweight .
It has a .26" IBI C/F wrapped barrel makes it feel front heavy but stable in the field. Probably just right for you.
Yeah, the Tikkas have a longer LOP which I would need. A company here called High Desert Rifle Works makes aluminum bottom metal for $150us to replace the polycarbonate factory trigger guard/magazine bottom of the factory Tikka T3s. I'm not sure that's needed as my 12ga. Remington V3 semi auto shotgun (7.2lbs) has the polycarbonate trigger guard and it works just fine. They do it to reduce weight and Glocks build their pistols with it and none of mine have had an issue.

Some say that Aluminium trigger guard allow for consistent torque tension aiding accuracy.
Some say that the plastic bolt shroud should not break some say they do actually break.
Generally speaking there are plenty of aftermarket stock options.
Lumley Arms makes shrouds and Bolt Handles
Sterk makes various Bolt handles .
MTN Gear in New Zealand that make a Titanium 3d printed bolt handle that is the lightest available if a few grams matters or if you just want to customise something. From memory the bolt knob saves 1 ounce if that matters or you just want to customise something.
It's not pretty but it's good

There is an Irish company called PasE composites that make a nice looking lightweight stock.

Not knocking the Savage but I went down a rabbit hole with Tikka and I now have 6 .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 2.46.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 2.46.32 PM.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 2.46.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 2.46.33 PM.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 53
Some say that the plastic bolt shroud should not break some say they do actually break.
When they went from the T3 to T3X the plastic bolt shroud was replaced with a metal shroud, so it should be a non-issue on all current models.

I'm going to go look at Tikkas tomorrow at a LGS. A lot of other brand "light" .308 rifles I've seen have 20" barrels including Savage. I want a 22" and Tikka has it and still weighs only 6.39lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg