30-06 load questions

I believe that both bullets that you have will work fine on the animals that you mentioned. Impala are whitetail sized thin skin game. Any bullet that works well on a white tail dear will be fine.
Wildebeest are a bit bigger, but are thin skinned. Again a 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler will work just fine.
Lastly, our buddy the warthog. I took one with a .308 win and out of the box ammo.

Now, if you are going after bigger animals… Say Zebra. My sense is that the Barnes TTSX will work fine. Keep in mind that the 165 grain ttsx are best on 300 win mag, and the 168 grain are best on .308 and 30-06, the reason is the shorter ogive for the .300 Win Mag. Anyway, it is fun to plan a hunt, but in this case you seem already to have the right bullets and the right caliber.
Have a great time.

Nosler ballistic bullet is way too soft for BWB...springbuck blesbuck ok as long as you do not intend eating to much of it....
Slightly of of perfect placement with a BWB and 165 balistic tips....well good luck...

As for a "bit bigger" BWB bulls weight up to 640lbs Impala about 140lbs more than 4 times the weight and notoriusly tough.....trust me 165gr ballistic tip is not the way to go...

I was in RSA May and June of this year along with my daughter. I used a .30-06 with Barnes TSX 180 grain bullets. I am at work so I cannot list load details. My daughter was using a .308 with Barnes 165 TTSX. I shot a Nyala, Common Reedbuck, Impala, Bushbuck, and Warthog. One and done on all.

My daughter shot a Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blesbok, and Warthog. Only the Gemsbok required a finisher. Blood trails were adequate on all and all were through and through, no bullets recovered.

I have shot over 20 species in Africa with Barnes bullets ranging from Jackal to Cape Buffalo and I truly believe you cannot go wrong with the Barnes TSX or TTSX, although I prefer the TSX.

I get better accuracy from my TSX loads and the few bullets I recover all have been 97% or better weight retention. I also have become a believer in heavy for caliber and moderate velocity being the best combination for a humane kill.

I was in RSA May and June of this year along with my daughter. I used a .30-06 with Barnes TSX 180 grain bullets. I am at work so I cannot list load details. My daughter was using a .308 with Barnes 165 TTSX. I shot a Nyala, Common Reedbuck, Impala, Bushbuck, and Warthog. One and done on all.

My daughter shot a Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blesbok, and Warthog. Only the Gemsbok required a finisher. Blood trails were adequate on all and all were through and through, no bullets recovered.

I have shot over 20 species in Africa with Barnes bullets ranging from Jackal to Cape Buffalo and I truly believe you cannot go wrong with the Barnes TSX or TTSX, although I prefer the TSX.

I get better accuracy from my TSX loads and the few bullets I recover all have been 97% or better weight retention. I also have become a believer in heavy for caliber and moderate velocity being the best combination for a humane kill.
Much better choice and weight for the calibers...

JME, but the Barnes will most likely fully penetrate from a side shot. It will also probably penetrate deeper from a front or rear angled shot. A traditional cup and core likely will not exit, thus expending most of its kinetic energy inside the animal.
I really like the 30-06 using 180 or even better 200 grain Nosler Partitions. An elk hammer in dark timber. The velocity is almost perfect for both weights.

JMO, but I only use premium bullets in Africa to get the best performance possible. Cheap insurance. If you draw blood whether you find the animal or not, you likely will pay.

Of course the real key to killing anything is putting the bullet in the right place. If this is your first Africa trip, I suggest you spend the money and get a copy of Dr Kevin Robertson’s book “The Perfect Shot”. Not only where to hit them, but what to use and what happens to an animal. Africa game is built a bit different than North American game with the vitals a bit forward. Also check out the pictures on AH of where to shoot.

Learn to shoot accurately and quickly off of shooting sticks.

I suggest you also ask your PH. He knows what works best on animals in his hunting areas.

Enjoy preparing for a grand adventure you’ll never forget!

Took my grandson to Namibia a couple of years ago where he shot the animals you listed. I loaded 180 grain TSX's over IMR 4350 in the '06. No issues whatsoever. Just use the loads from the Barnes website-it is free of charge.

What is the cost of 5 trophies for plains game safari on rsa or namibia?
What is the cost of 10 premium reloaded bullets?
Incomparable!

Buy the best bullets you can afford, and go to PG safari, with minimised risk of wounding.
Tsx
Ttsx
Swift a frame
Nosler partition
And similar

I used 180gr nosler partitions from my '06 to make one shot kills on blue wildebeest, kudu, warthog and eland with no problems. There are lots of good choices for good tough hunting bullets but ballistic tips aren't among them. I know that availability is a problem right now with bullets and powder so good luck finding what you need. For what its worth I think a good 165gr bullet will work for you as well. Rick Taylor

Looking around the net the available choices are sparce. A little patience and that will change. Or if you were wanting something now check out the Norma Oryx 200 grain bullets available at Midway or Brownell. It's a well made bonded bullet that will take care of business safely. There's load data for both of those powders in the Hodgdon online data base for a 200 grain bullet in 30-06.

I will be going on my first South African Hunt next spring (Plains Game). I will be taking a Ruger American 30-06 (22 in barrel, 1:10 twist). My main load for that gun is 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (average 2500 FPS). My question is this satisfactory round to take. I am currently looking at Blue Wildebeest, Impala, and Warthog. Might add more, depending on money.

I also have a box of Hornady 178 gr ELD-X. I have thought about developing a load using this round, but I only have IMR 4895 and Varget for powders. I have checked my Hornady 9th and 10th edition books, but cannot find a Min/Max for either of these powders. Can someone help me with that information? Also, will this round be satisfactory (as long as my gun likes it).

Thanks in advance,

Chris
@cadams8257
Personally I would use a more stoutly constructed bullet like a 165gn Barnes TTSX or a good premium 180gr. I feel the balistic tip and the ELD-X are not good enough.
My son used a 308 with 150gn accubonds on every thing from impala to zebra without issue.
Bob

I will be going on my first South African Hunt next spring (Plains Game). I will be taking a Ruger American 30-06 (22 in barrel, 1:10 twist). My main load for that gun is 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (average 2500 FPS). My question is this satisfactory round to take. I am currently looking at Blue Wildebeest, Impala, and Warthog. Might add more, depending on money.

I also have a box of Hornady 178 gr ELD-X. I have thought about developing a load using this round, but I only have IMR 4895 and Varget for powders. I have checked my Hornady 9th and 10th edition books, but cannot find a Min/Max for either of these powders. Can someone help me with that information? Also, will this round be satisfactory (as long as my gun likes it).

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Of the powders you mentioned I would choose Varget since it is designed to to "temperature stable". Pressure, and hence velocity, will vary less with temperature change than with IMR4895.

I have not, personally, used used Varget in the '06 since there are many powders which are more suitable. H4350, Reloder 16, IMR4451, and StaBall 6.5 to name a few. But these days we must use what we can find.

Hornady Handbook #11 has an entry for Varget with 165 gn bullets. Starting with 42.2 gn at 2400 fps with a maximum of 51.7 gn at 2800 fps.

The Hodgdon 2020 Annual Manual shows an minimum load of 44.5 gn (2526 fps) and a maximum of 48.3 gn (2724 fps) with a 165 gn Hornady GMX. And a minimum of 47.0 gn (2726 fps) and a maximum of 50.5 gn (2873 fps) with a 165 gn Sierra SPBT. Bullet construction does make a difference.

Hodgdon had the only only data I could find for heavier bullets.
180 gn Sierra: 44.0 to 47.0 gn (2688 fps)
200 gn Nosler Accubond: 42.0 to 47.0 gn (2505 fps)

I love the 200 gn Accubond for mule deer. Knocks 'em flat and doesn't ruin much meat.

Others have made excellent recommendations of bullets. I would choose Nosler (Accubond or Partition), Barnes TTSX. 165, 180 or 200 grain. You might find the best accuracy at near-maximum or maximum loads since modern powders are designed to burn most consistently at 60,000 psi and above. None of the Hodgdon loads listed exceed 50,000 psi except for the Hornady GMX load at 59,000 psi.
Cheers,
Walt

Thanks in advance,

Chris
I believe there is a Swift A-frame in 165gr, and good 200gr bullets for that cal are gettable.

Of the powders you mentioned I would choose Varget since it is designed to to "temperature stable". Pressure, and hence velocity, will vary less with temperature change than with IMR4895.

I have not, personally, used used Varget in the '06 since there are many powders which are more suitable. H4350, Reloder 16, IMR4451, and StaBall 6.5 to name a few. But these days we must use what we can find.

Hornady Handbook #11 has an entry for Varget with 165 gn bullets. Starting with 42.2 gn at 2400 fps with a maximum of 51.7 gn at 2800 fps.

The Hodgdon 2020 Annual Manual shows an minimum load of 44.5 gn (2526 fps) and a maximum of 48.3 gn (2724 fps) with a 165 gn Hornady GMX. And a minimum of 47.0 gn (2726 fps) and a maximum of 50.5 gn (2873 fps) with a 165 gn Sierra SPBT. Bullet construction does make a difference.

Hodgdon had the only only data I could find for heavier bullets.
180 gn Sierra: 44.0 to 47.0 gn (2688 fps)
200 gn Nosler Accubond: 42.0 to 47.0 gn (2505 fps)

I love the 200 gn Accubond for mule deer. Knocks 'em flat and doesn't ruin much meat.

Others have made excellent recommendations of bullets. I would choose Nosler (Accubond or Partition), Barnes TTSX. 165, 180 or 200 grain. You might find the best accuracy at near-maximum or maximum loads since modern powders are designed to burn most consistently at 60,000 psi and above. None of the Hodgdon loads listed exceed 50,000 psi except for the Hornady GMX load at 59,000 psi.
Cheers,
Walt
@wswolf
If you can get hold of Reloader 22 you can get upto 3,000 fps with the 165 grainers.
Bob

R22 (62 gn-215 primer) gave great accuracy with 168 gn Sierra BTHPs at 2770 from a 22" barrel.
Only got 2820 from 168TTSX with a case full of R22 from a 20" bbl.
Got around 2900 with H4350 or R16.

In the '06 I like 200 Accubonds or Partitions with R26 or StaBall 6.5 for a bit over 2600.

R26 and especially StaBall 6.5 are much less temperature sensitive than R22.

As a side note I found VV560 to be a direct substitute for R22 in the .300 Win Mag. I wonder how it would work in the '06 as it is also relative temperature stable?

Cheers,
Walt

Last edited:
Great thread & all valuable inputs - I’ll share my field experience from 33/PG trophies, Duiker to Giraffe & my one/1 Nosler Ballistic Tip hunt.

In my humble opinion - most PH’s could give a rats ass on FPS … it’s Foot/LBS of Energy at the max. accurate distance you‘ve set upon yourself w/ key question: “will my caliber/bullet construction hold together & drive the correct penetration to break bone & hit vital organ - lethal shot?”

PH ask for a center shoulder shot to get the animal on 3-wheels & the correct bullet construction will hold & drive into the vitals … here you don’t need a heavy tracking blood trail as the animal will expire within eye shot.

My 1st trip: Namibia, 30-06, 180gn Nosler Ballistic Tip & I set 280M max. accuracy. *Later became a failed concept … bullet construction on ‘certain species’ did not perform @ that distance.

*Ballistic Tip did fine … Kudu (fall easy to a well placed shot), Hartebeest & Warthog. As I recall, shots: Warthog <100M & others 150M - 180M w/ recovery within Eye Shot of the trigger pull.

*Ballistic Tip struggled w/ Oryx … 175M straight broadside, broke the shoulder but did not penetrate to lung/heart. Topo helped as the Oryx chose a deep ravine & on 3-wheels, a quick sprint & my F/U ended the tracking.

*Ballistic Tip failed w/ Zebra … I will say, big stout body Stallion. 1st shot was 225M, Zebra dropped & we closed the distance but when the herd dust cleared he was up & trotting on all 4-wheels - dumbfounded, 2nd shot 175M & down again but sadly quickly up again but clearly now on 3-wheels! A nerve racking 2-hrs stalk (uggh) & the PH got a glimpse in thick cover & high hip shot put him on = 2-wheels, quick sprint & my ending shot.

Conclusion. 1st shot was square center shoulder and disintegrated on impact leaving a stunned Zebra & flesh wound. 2nd shot abit lower broke the leg but again failed to penetrate vitals. The skinning shed told the story of failed penetration w/ both shots, ‘06 w/ 180gn from 175 to 225M is not “lobbing long-range rounds” where energy has significantly drooped. It was alarming as a Hunter to see this … Zebra are tough!

I changed to a quality premium (my pref. solid coppers) Barnes TSX, Norma Oryx are great, A-Frame & I jumped to .300 Win Mag, now all 200gn.

My ‘06 luvs 180gn Federal Prem. Trophy Bonded Tip. For me - anything bigger than Impala is 180 - 200gn. Tracking has been reduced to eye shot w/ a big body waterbuck going 200M.

Mark-Hunter hit the money shot! Investing $200 on 40 premium constructed rounds on $4000 worth of trophies is peanuts, plus, ethical shooting for a quick lethal kill should be our focus or end game. Plus, poor bullet construction choices for the trophies your hunting could = wounded then loss game & Trophy Fees are ‘paid’ on lost game. Happy trails.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time and providing their experiences and opinions. I have decided to go with the 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets. I was able to find them on optics planet. As I start to develop my load, I will post updates.

Again, thank you all.

Good bullet in a 30-06. I just started working up a load using it ahead of H414. About out of my favorite H4350 so I’m trying H414 which meters much better. So far I’ve gotten consistent 3/4” groups. Next I’ll try adjusting the overall length to hopefully tighten groups a bit more.
Keep us up to date on how it goes.

FYI, some one on AH posted that Barnes recommends an impact velocity of 1,500-2,750 fps.

No worries with expansion of the 168 TTSX at normal ‘06 vels. Still requires careful placement. TSXs and TTSXs in that weight range tend to be inherently accurate in the 30-06. As mentioned and there is a reason… Blue wildebeest are, per pound, notoriously tough- shoot straight and practice off sticks. If you decide on eland, they are bigger than imagined and require careful shot selection.

I am currently looking at Blue Wildebeest, Impala, and Warthog. Might add more, depending on money …
I like fourfive8 mention to the ‘stoutness’ of some PG species & I feel lbs for lbs most African PG can absorb a hit better than most N. American species & especially from a poor shot placement, or poor bullet construction, or an unnecessary long shot where ft/lbs energy dramatically falls off.

The animal will eventually succumb to the shot BUT when & where is the gut wrenching question!? Trophy Fee on the hook, PH may have dogs - helps but no guarantee or you may be looking for circling vultures days later to retrieve hide/horns and sadly loss the quality meat.

I always select a caliber & bullet type/grain based on the largest species I’m hunting & the remaining smaller trophies fall to that round. Barnes & Norma top my list.

Since Wildebeest is already on your hit-list & your hit-list may grow? Maybe to tougher species like Oryx or Zebra? I would consider adding 180gn TTSX to your options/research: 168 to 180 may not seem like much - but it is - & can reap bigger rewards when breaking down larger body shoulders.

Happy Trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg