JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
G'day all,

Haven't been around for a while, between having our first baby and working on our house I've been kept busy lately!

Just wanted to say a thanks to everyone that helped with suggestions for my 275 rigby build. I've had it for a few months now and so far she's accounted for 4 deer with 4 shots. Comes to the shoulder well, nicely balanced, minimal recoil (as expected) and just a pleasure to own.

I ended up with a cz 550, gunsmith sourced the sights, running warne QR rings and topped with my old leupold vx3 4.5-14x40. Ended up handloading norma oryx 156gn projectiles in hornady 275 rigby brass with 46gn ADI 2209 for around 2650fps (theoretical as our chrony broke).

Mt first deer was an offhand shot on a red deer spike from 80m. Double lung and straight down.

Managed to take a nice cull fallow couple of weeks ago. 140m shot through the shoulder, ran 5m and expired. Could not be happier.

Now just have to wait for the day I can afford to take her to Africa!

Pics of red spike, fallow and fallow blood trail from start to finish
20190326_203134.jpeg
20190413_071416.jpeg
20190413_074245.jpeg

Congrats sir!

Exciting stuff to blood it like this

Cheers fellas very chuffed, I'm trying to rein myself in before doing another. Would love a bigger cal but really have no use for a 404j or similar at this point!

Thanks for sharing your joy with us. The 275 Rigby(s) AKA 7 x 57(s) been doing it right for a long time and will continue to do so. Re. your need for a 404 Jeffery, don't be too hasty in denying yourself the pleasure of this delightful caliber. While you may not be making plans for an African hunt just yet, there are a number of species in Australia and or New Zealand on which it can be used. Besides that it is the "want" not the "need" that drives the desire to own more rifles in larger calibers. How about a photo of the rifle with the scope on it? From the photos included in this post I thought you preferred going "old school" i.e. iron sights.

Last edited:
j.p.
a rechamber to 7x57 ackley would bring it in line with the 280 rem.
bruce.

Thanks for sharing your joy with us. The 275 Rigby(s) AKA 7 x 57(s) been doing it right for a long time and will continue to do so. Re. your need for a 404 Jeffery, don't be too hasty in denying yourself the pleasure of this delightful caliber. While you may not be making plans for an African hunt just yet, there are a number of species in Australia and or New Zealand on which it can be used. Besides that it is the "want" not the "need" that drives the desire to own more rifles in larger calibers. How about a photo of the rifle with the scope on it? From the photos included in this post I thought you preferred going "old school" i.e. iron sights.
It's certainly an internal debate I've been having. Not sure what I'd even build it on, maybe if i can find a reasonably priced zg47 one day. The only thing I could justify using it for in Australia is sambar which loaded down wouldn't be an unreasonable prospect. Mind you the Rigby is just as effective on sambar as it's already proved.

Buff, banteng and scrubbers would be great for a 404J but I don't have the access or money for that and Aus aint a country renowned for providing citizens with public hunt access. As you say though, want and need are different things!

I built it with the idea of being a primarily iron sight stalking rifle. I don't actually have any scoped pics to put up but i shall take some and upload load them.

j.p.
a rechamber to 7x57 ackley would bring it in line with the 280 rem.
bruce.
That most definitely would be the case, but i just had this built as is so I don't think i could bear to tear her apart so soon!

Not to upset a bunch of "Ackley" fans, but I've read somewhere that the extra 25 to 50 FPS gained by going that route is not worth the cost and the potential reduction of price if and when you sell the rifle.

improving the 7x57/257 Roberts case will give more than a 50 fps gain.
reason being the case is quite tapered, and blowing it out gives quite an increase in capacity.
with the 308/243 there is hardly any gain here, as the case is much less tapered.
the 257 Roberts ackley is equivalent in performance to the 25/06 std at the same pressures, as is the 7x57 ackley equivalent to the 280 rem std.
another case that gains a lot is the 250/3000, as it is also quite tapered.
as for decreasing value, that is in the eye of the beholder.
if they want more performance it might be a selling point.
anyway you don't buy a rifle for what other people might want in the future.
in this day of better bullets you don't need to slow them down to get terminal performance.
the 280/30/06 level of rifle unfriendliness is the max that most people can take day in day out and still maintain precision shooting.
bruce.

For what it's worth gents i have exactly what i want. The only change from here would be potentially changing to a higher grade stock someday but I do like the one I have now and it is after all a working rifle.

I loved the cal from a child because of jim corbett and always wanted a rifle stamped 275 Rigby. Now i have one!

The only "improvement" a .275/7x57 needs is more of them in your safe!;)

Reactions: WAB
Nice job JP. The Fallow stag is a ripper.

Congratulations on the baby as well as the deer.

404J is definitely a step up from 275RIGBY.
Have you considered a 375H&H, aka the gateway drug to big bores?

Congratulations on the baby as well as the deer.

404J is definitely a step up from 275RIGBY.
Have you considered a 375H&H, aka the gateway drug to big bores?
A 7x57/275 and a 404 Jeffery is a very good pairing and capable of ANYTHING that a pair of rifles may be needed for. No need for gateway anythings when you can go straight to what the gateway will lead to anyway. ;);)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg