.270 vs .270 WSM

Which do you prefer and why?

• .270 wsm

Results are only viewable after voting.
You enablers are killing me..

I just bought a Shilen match grade barrel in 270 this weekend at their annual “swap meet”...

Looks like one of my LR Mauser actions is about to become a custom .270 project

Time to get back into the .270 Winchester game after about a 20 year hiatus from shooting one...

[threadhijack] - As an aside, the Shilen Swap Meet this past weekend was a pretty cool event.. Any of you in the DFW area that havent attended before should check it out next year if you have the chance...

It is basically an ad hoc gun show.. with people just pulling their trucks up, dropping the tail gate, and selling/trading stuff.. Shilen also put out I'd guess about 100 barrels that they SIGNIFICANTLY discounted.. the 270 match barrel I grabbed was already short chambered for .270 winchester and threaded for a LR mauser action.. it was literally about 45% cheaper than the retail price at midwayusa.com..

Shilen provided free coffee and doughnuts for breakfast, and allowed everyone to tour their factory while they had a couple of different stations in operation.. It was pretty cool to see how each barrel is scoped, air gauged/tested, etc.. and to watch the machinists run the lathe and cut a precision barrel out of raw bar stock..

Best of all.. this is all free.. and less than a 45 minute drive from downtown Dallas.. Pretty neat way to spend a Saturday morning if youre in the area... [/threadhijack] :)

First rifle I purchased was in 1972. I was 13 and used calf money on a 700 ADL in .270. It was my only centerfire rifle until 2003 when I started buying rifles. My .270 has taken one elk, several nilgai and many deer, coyote and hogs. Semi-retired 10 years ago when I got a 6.5x55.

That being said if money wasn’t an issue I’d like a .270 WSM in a long action with a 1:8 barrel twist. I’d then work up some loads with the 170 Berger, 180 grain Woodleigh and 160 grain Partition just because.

Which do you prefer and why? Also list any hunting experience you may have with either cartridge
I prefer the .270 because you can, in a pinch, make a 30-06 cartridge out of it. You can make a .270 out of a 30-06 as well, you just have to trim a lot and I would only use that case once.
In 2013 to 2014 the only cases I could reliably get were .270’s. I made a lot of garland food out of them.

I've never held a WSM of any caliber but I don't feel as I've missed out on anything. If I had lived my life and never held a 270 I would definitely feel neglected.

my 270 has taken game all over the world from Red stags in Scotland to kudu in Africa. Never found it wanting at ranges up to 350 yards.
Mine is a Parker Hale and the action was from a world war 2 Mauser you can still see some markings. It now has a Boyds thumbhole stock and will shoot 1 inch clover leaf groups .
Markcz

I have both...
Shoot the 270 wsm most...
When asked hey what you shooting today..
Say 270, oh could you spare me some extra shells...
Than hand them my 270wsm ... opps they cant shoot them...
Saves me money ....
lol
Both good rounds...
Never notice the kick...
Never had miss feed..
Just like taking something different out of safe now and then....

I have to vote for the 270 Winchester. I’ve been hunting with one since 1973 (Ruger 77 hollow bolt) so I admit I’m a 270 Win fan. I still have my Ruger but hunt mostly with a Weatherby Mk V lightweight. I don’t have a 270 WSM so I can’t make any direct comparisons but I wonder how much of the velocity difference is due the typical barrel length of the 270 Win is 22” vs 24” for the 270 wsm.

I’ve got a 270 win pre64 Winchester 70 ( 1948 ) it still shoots like a dream it’s been packed lots over the years by others everything still original and with the right loads in 130 or 140 Barnes TTSX Or TSX will still group under half inch at 200 yds if I do my part.
First rifle I didn’t have to lengthen for length of pull with a pad still has steel butt plate and comfortable to shoot.

I have never seen a round that I didn't like or thought was worthless as teets on a man.....

I have been having conversations with guys who wanted just a wee bit more zip to their stock shooting irons as to give them just that tiny bit of more of the magic that they feel it didn't come from the factory with.

But! If it weren't for those who dream of something that is faster and hits just a bit harder life just wouldn't be as interesting as it is now adays.

I tip my hat to all the dreamers and innovators in the firearms field for allowing me to make a mighty nice living for over half a century bringing so many dreams to reality for so many people.

And who knows......maybe that 50 or 100 fps actually did carry just that little extra bit of magic that was needed....

I always THOUGHT that the highest and best use for the 270WSM is in an ultralight sheep type rifle. You get the same performance as 270Win, but in a short action that's a few extra ounces less. For the gram weenies that count their kits by the grams or ounces.

BUT I just checked Kimber's website. Comparing factory listed weights for the Mountain Ascent model in 270Win vs. 270WSM, the WSM actually weighs 2 ounces more. They both have 24" barrels. huh...

I am a big fan of the 270. Killed moose, caribou on the larger end and sheep, goat too.And the assorted deer/antelope etc. I admit I bought into the 270 WSM frenzy a while back and to be honest it was built by Hill Country rifles and its a tack driver when I do my job. Bought a bunch of Winchester 140 gr accubonds some years back as I saws prices rising. Love both of them.

there is no point in increasing case capacity until you gain at least 200 fps in velocity.
even then you only gain about 50 yds in point blank range.
what you say about the 270, the 280 is better again.
bruce.

I hunted with a .270 Winchester from when I became a teenager until just 2 years ago. I bought a 7 mm mag, which is basically a .270 but allows slightly heavier bullets.

I think one needs to make a bigger jump to see any difference on game. Like .270 to .300 Win mag. A .270 to .270 WSM is too close. And for close shots (MN treestand hunting) I would almost suggest going down a step to a 6.5.

270 weatherby has a noticeable gain on the 270 win, but in trajectory only.
the 7mag is like a super 270 win with 120 to 150 gn bullets, shooting much flatter.
then it goes up a notch with 160 to 175 gn bullets on bigger game..
the 270 win or wsm cannot go there.
bruce.

270 weatherby has a noticeable gain on the 270 win, but in trajectory only.
the 7mag is like a super 270 win with 120 to 150 gn bullets, shooting much flatter.
then it goes up a notch with 160 to 175 gn bullets on bigger game..
the 270 win or wsm cannot go there.
bruce.

I had a 7 mm Remington magnum but it was really too close to the performance of my 300 Winchester magnum.
It liked the heavier Bullets but I sold it as I really had no use for it. I just used a 270 or the 300.
The WSM May have a little velocity gain but I’ll stick to my beloved 270 Winchester.

I did not vote, and have neither. I have seen the effects of the 270 Winchester enough to know it certainly works, as does the 270 WSM.
I think the individual rifle would be the deciding factor for me if I were in the market for a 270 cartridge. Or if I was wanting a short action. My son has a 270 Win in a M70 Classic featherweight stainless. It is certainly a pleasure to shoot.
A buddy has a M70 in 270 WSM. I have shot it and also thought it is fine. I have a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM that I think is a near perfect match. I also have a M70 Classics in 300 WSM and 7 WSM.
For whatever reason the 27o caliber has never had an overwhelming attraction to me. I think in the field there is little difference between the 270's & 7mm's. But, I prefer the 7mm's.
With all that said, I am pondering purchasing a 270 Winchester myself. I am trying to resist.
The 270 Winchester is classic cartridge that has very modern day performance.

Which do you prefer and why? Also list any hunting experience you may have with either cartridge

I have a 300 WSM. It's basically a 30-06 on steroids with a short bolt, rather than a longer bolt for the 300 Win. It's gotten easier to find WSM ammo in stores, and prices have dropped, but it's not like 270 Win, or 308 Win etc. I exclusively reload my 300 WSM, and it is a tack driver, but is it any better than a 300 Win? Dunno.

I think the 300 WSM is an outstanding.30 caliber. I had much rather carry a rifle sized to the WSM than my 300 Winchester. Performance / velocity wise the 300 Win likely has an advantage. For the overall package I prefer the WSM for my use.
Of the WSM's my favorites are the least popular, 325 and 7WSM. The 300 WSM, I see it as the best all-around, if there is such a thing. It seems to be a popular cartridge around here, judging by the factory loads available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg