.223 for Steinbok, Duiker, Klipspringer?

I used a 22 Hornet on my last trip for night creatures and tiny ten. It left a bigger hole than expected on multiple animals. Great choice for small creatures.

I used a 22 Hornet on my last trip for night creatures and tiny ten. It left a bigger hole than expected on multiple animals. Great choice for small creatures.

What bullet did you use? Factory loads are no good for small game if you don't want to do damage, they have thinner jackets and are quite explosive.

What bullet did you use? Factory loads are no good for small game if you don't want to do damage, they have thinner jackets and are quite explosive.
It was not factory ammo but fragile hollow points. The PH loaded but they still were too fragile for some of the smaller animals that we were hunting but just right for other more dense animals.

I would use a .22 Magnum with expanding bullets.

You just never know with a .223 and military FMJ's. Sometimes they will just zip through a tiny animal and the animal may run 100+m. Sometimes, you hit a bone and you may as well have used a grenade.

The Geneva Convention, allowed FMJ's because they will wound a solider, but might not cause a lethal injury.

A game animal needs a lethal injury.

Never "gut shoot" an animal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you