.22 scope question

Speedster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Ok. I have a question about a low priced scope. My son-in-law has a Savage 64 .22. He wants a scope for it for Christmas. My guess is if he shot 50 rounds out of the rifle a year that would be a lot for him. Any recommendations for a 4X scope that is a step up from the el cheapo thin tube 4x scopes that you see. As an example, I bought a Tasco 4x32 wih a 1" tube many years ago from K-Mart that I used to shoot hundreds of squirrels and raccoon for over 25 years. I think the scope was $30 new. For my needs it worked great. More than once while hunting raccoon it was raining so hard I had to dump the water that collected in the forward end before aiming my shot and I never had an issue with it fogging. I get it that you get what you pay for, but for his needs I was trying to find something serviceable but very modestly priced. Any suggestions?

Vortex would be best bang for your buck. Probably little more then you want to spend. Other option is other forums and look for used nikons/vortex scopes

since you have time, Black Friday at Academy sports or cabelas

I agree with sailor, vortex , or anything on sale with a one inch tube and maybe a 32mm or so objective lenses size . I've had a lot of luck with a twenty year old Simmons 3-9x32 on my .22. If you could find a used Leupold that would be sweet. I vote for anything on sale , especially black Friday sales . Good luck on the search!!

Check out the Sightron line.

Agree with the above-this is where vortex really shines. I have a variable on my .17 hmr, cost was reasonable amd it works great on the little rifle. My kids all learn to use a scope with that rifle

If you can wait a couple days I have a really nice Burris 22 scope I can send you some pics of. It is out of my buddies estate that I’m helping his widow sell. It will be very reasonable and I, not being a Burris fan, was surprised by its quality.

Hawke scopes- They do a lot of airgun scopes which are bullet proof. I have a 4-12 on my springer airgun. Optics fall off a bit at 12 power.

Right now Natchez Shooters Supply has a number of reasonable Bushnell scopes on sale, worth a look. Used Nikon Prostaff scopes would be good as well.

The used scope market is a good place to look. All of my 22s wear old steel tube Weaver K2.5s. Great old scopes that are perfect for a 22.

Check Walmart. They have Bushnell at good prices.

Just a quick comment, the parallax is adjusted for around 50 yards on a rimfire scope and 100 for most center fire scopes. On a .22 the center fire scopes can play havoc with a new rifleman. Cheek weld and eye placement will be a must so try to stick with a rimfire scope.

I believe the Vortex Crossfire II Rimfire scopes to be way over priced for the quality you get. I’ve mounted a bunch of them and find the eye relief and box horrendous. Nikon made an excellent EFR Rimfire scope. So did Weaver. Leupold still makes one, the Freedom 3-9x33 EFR. There is also the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 EFR. I heard about them on Rimfire Central several years ago and bought one. To me they are excellent and are made by Light Optical Works of Japan. LOW makes scopes for a number of high end scope manufacturers. The Leupold and Clearidge are north of $200.00 but I decided to mention them any way.

Years ago I got tired of the cheap 22 rim fire scopes that manufactures were putting out so I picked up a real rifle scope to mount onto my .22's. It was a second hand Leopold VXII 3-9x40 and I never looked back. I have shot baskets full of rabbits with it along with a few other varmints.

I bought my brother a sightron scope for some work he did for me a couple years ago. Solid scope for the money but do note the entire reticle is an old style thin crosshair. The Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 rimfire would be a good one. Not sure if you are wanting to spend that much though. Good $150 scopes hold zero, adjust well, and view good. $50 scopes are a whole other ball game and can shift zeros quite a bit - important if you are trying to hit something the size of a quarter at 50 yards.

I bought a GAMO air rifle scope for my recently acquired Remington 552.....I've taken the combo out now a couple of times for squirrels and so far the rifle has held it's zero. I think that the scope retails for around $40 or so. Good luck with your quest.

I have the BSA Sweet 22. The great thing is it has a parallax adjustment which makes a difference when shooting at 25 vs. 100 yards. I love it. I put that on my Ruger 10/22 and added a Timney Trigger and love the way it shoots.

BSA is running a sale right now where you can get a red dot for free when purchasing the scope.

BSA Sweet 22 Red Dot Sale

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.02.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.02.01 PM.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.02.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.02.04 PM.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.02.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 3.02.06 PM.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 73
I have the BSA Sweet 22. The great thing is it has a parallax adjustment which makes a difference when shooting at 25 vs. 100 yards. I love it. I put that on my Ruger 10/22 and added a Timney Trigger and love the way it shoots.

How is the BSA quality nowadays? About 10-15 years ago if you as much blinked the entire view went black

I'm very happy with it. Very clear and holds zero from 25 to 50 to 100. I have the side adjustment vs adjustable objective. Mine's the 3x9x40. The gunsmith that did the trigger highly recommended the scope to me and I wouldn't change my decision. That was about 5 or 6 years ago.

So, firstly, I'm not a sales person for BSA! ;-). And, I suspect others are much more knowledgeable about scopes and glass and shooting overall. But, as you can tell I do really like my BSA Sweet 22. So, I took some photos with my iPhone through the scope which I hope give you an idea of its capabilities. The house across the canal is about 84 yards and the post on my patio is about 23 feet from the rifle. Photos taken at 5 pm daily light savings in Florida with an overcast sky.

IMG_0601.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,