karibu

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
onis safaris
Hunted
zimbabwe, tanzania, sudafrica, namibia, mozambique, Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Argentina, Finland, Etc
Next year I want to prepare a group to hunt in Eastern Cape, so I'll join, but I wonder to hunt, Genet, African Wildcat, Lynx, Cerval, Jackal, Etc, Trophies most of all at small and night. And of course a Blue Duiker.
First question is. Can I hunt in South Africa with a 22 Lr for example for this kind of trophies?? Which caliber do you prefer for that hunt?? Do you get any experience whith 17 Hmr?? When and were is the best area for that?? I now for example in Namibia is the Kalahari area.

I believe the minimum caliber is .222.

Minimum Equipment Requirements for Rifle Hunting in South Africa
• Most provinces do not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting and rely on common sense.
• Some provinces require a minimum of .375 caliber for dangerous or big game hunting.
• No provinces require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.
• No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action or slide action firearms are allowed. A semi-automatic shotgun for hunting purposes may be allowed if an application is made and granted through the Central Firearms Register at least 21 days prior to your arrival.

Thank you Jerome,

It´s something stupid but, now in Spain, you can own a 17 Hmr and use it for large game hunting, but 22 lr, or any caliber 5.6 anular is not alaud for hunting, son using that legal lagun I´m tinking in get one barrel in 17 Hmr for that kind of hunt.

Meaby is better to use a shotgun for that pourpouse.

I think many times to spend some days for that small animals and prepare one room with all that species.

I have seen people hunting with a 17 HMR in Africa, I think it's a great choice myself. But I would probably carry a shotgun too, in case a animal came into too close or came in running. I think a rifle is for long shots.

I shot a Ginet, linx, fox, jacals and some other small animals at night always with a 22 lr, we just carry on the way at camp, but now I want to full mount all that trophies. I buy a triple barrel 20-76_ 20-76 / 7 x 65 R for that job Thinking in blue diker but now with new law, at night on the way at camp is easy to change barrel and get the 300 wm for plains game during de day.

Of the 3, definitely go with the 222

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg