1 shot kills

If u shoot a little back on a heart shot u hit the stomach and then the real trouble begins
I take a bad lung shot over a bad heart shot all week

Like i said before. More room for error on a lung shot. Lungs are way bigger than a heart to start with .

Less room for error on a lung shot, or I did not understand everything ?

It’s a good question Bob. I’ve noticed the same thing. It’s got to be lack of preparation or nerves. I’m sure shooting knowing that you’re being filmed for TV doesn’t help any.

That correlates with what I have seen on hundreds of deer. Lung shots go even farther. Now I use and teach those hunting with me to go for the high shoulder. That usually drops the animals where they stand.

Is there a reason to not aim for the shoulder or forward point of the shoulder on buffalo?

Some professionals in this forum have more or less answered your question.

Buffalo are often shot under conditions where we would not shoot deers and you cannot compare a deer with a buffalo anyway.

Ive also noticed that in some of the videos, mostly us Yankees, the guys had tactile scopes with what I consider garbage bullets. Here in the US, the current rage is long range shooting with long range bullets. Neither of which are beneficial in Africa IMO. I shot 200gr Accubonds from my 300wsm, and while everything ran about 50 yards, everything died, and didn’t require a 2nd shot…. Ballistics, ammo, cartridges and the research that goes into them are things I really love and study. Plus, I’ve read “The Perfect Shot” about a bazillion times. Here in the states, I don’t prefer the shoulder shot because of the lost meat, plus, our animals vitals tend to be further back than in Africa. In Africa, I held on the shoulder every single time, with the exception of my kudu which was quartering away, so I put it right behind the shoulder. I’m just surprised after watching a ton of shows how bad the shooting can be.

Some thoughts:

Ammunition is cheap, but having a lost & wounded animal on your conscience (and wallet) is not. When I was young, I had somewhat of an obsession with downing game using "1 shot kills". I was usually successful, but I can think of numerous occasions where taking a second (or even third) insurance shot would have definitely spared my white hunters & I from long (and occasionally life threatening) tracking jobs (to say nothing of ending the poor game animal's suffering quicker). I deeply regret it now. Stroking my ego was not worth all the trouble I put all of my outfitters through by way of refraining from not taking insurance shots.

Most client hunters spend their lives hunting domestic game in their native countries with .270-30 caliber rifles. They just don't put in that sort of practice to be proficient with a big bore (.375+ caliber) prior to their African safari. The worst offenders are those who never hunted with anything larger than a telescopic sighted .300 Winchester Magnum in their home countries, yet show up on Safari with brand new iron sighted double rifles in .470-700 Nitro Express. It's a white hunter's nightmare.

Then, there are clients who act like they're Harry Selby even before they bag their first African game animal. They will argue with their white hunters that solids are the best bullets for Cape buffalo. But then, they'll get completely mind-boggled as to why the Cape buffalo managed to travel several miles even after getting shot through the heart/lungs with a solid bullet.

Finally, heart shots have a minimal permissible margin for error. Even after 50 years of going on African Safaris, my favorite shot will always be a good double lung shot with a premium grade expanding bullet. Largest target on mammalian big game with the maximum permissible margin for error.

Last edited:
I've killed a lot of whitetail deer in eastern woodlands and I'd guess about 50% drop at the shot and the other 50% run off and die. But, I usually don't see them after they run and I find them after a very short tracking job. I've noticed that in a lot of the African hunting videos, I've watched anyway, you can see the animals for quite a while after they are shot. The country is much more open so you see them basically running dead on their feet so the hunter often shoots again, as I would too. It also might be a lot of African game is a little harder to kill or maybe just a combination of these factors. Wildebeest seem especially determined to live even after a perfect shot through the lungs. But again my only experience is watching videos.

My 2022 cape with Limcroma.
One shot with a 375 quarteringaway. Went about 70 yds. Zoom in and you can see the entrance wound
20220818_074637.jpg

I've killed a lot of whitetail deer in eastern woodlands and I'd guess about 50% drop at the shot and the other 50% run off and die. But, I usually don't see them after they run and I find them after a very short tracking job. I've noticed that in a lot of the African hunting videos, I've watched anyway, you can see the animals for quite a while after they are shot. The country is much more open so you see them basically running dead on their feet so the hunter often shoots again, as I would too. It also might be a lot of African game is a little harder to kill or maybe just a combination of these factors. Wildebeest seem especially determined to live even after a perfect shot through the lungs. But again my only experience is watching videos.
I was amazed how big they are. Many are 500-600lbs and I always had in my mind they were like deer. They are the size of 3 bucks.

If you haven't made a poor shot or missed you haven't hunted much.
Adrenaline animals have it also, if they are nice and calm at the time of shot, a lot of times they will drop, but not always, and if somebody just bumped a herd of Elk and they are running because scared they can take a lot of lead before they fall, but not always.
I shot a coyote one time a poor shot but it opened up his belly and guts started spilling out, he made it about 40 yards when he was completely gutted then died. Animals are tough

A lot of first shots on game are kill shots, even the bad ones. If you want an animal down instantly you have to shut down communication to the brain. That means you have to do severe damage to the Central Nervous System. Traditional
A lot of first shots on game are kill shots, even the bad ones. If you want an animal down instantly you have to shut down communication to the brain. That means you have to do severe damage to the Central Nervous System. Traditional heart lung shots will not do that.

heart lung shots will not do that.

A lot of first shots on game are kill shots, even the bad ones. If you want an animal down instantly you have to shut down communication to the brain. That means you have to do severe damage to the Central Nervous System. Traditional heart lung shots will not do that.

heart lung shots will not do that.

As far as the heart shot is concerned, it depends on the caliber and the bullet used and also where you hits the heart or around the heart. As has already been written, there is a difference between a heart that has only a small hole and another that has an extensive destruction of a wall. A section of the main vessels at the outlet of the heart leads surely to immediate death of the game. The heart shot is certainly in the majority of the cases not an instant death like a hit to the central nervous system, but the game stays in place or travelled a very short distance before it dies more or less quickly. The topic is mainly about shooting very heavy game species, above all the buffalo, and in this case a first shot placement on the brain or the neck spine is not common.

I agree with you about the lung shot, it's often hard to call it a 1 kill shot, but depending on the caliber and the bullet, the travelled distances are often extremely short and you can get close to the wounded game and make the final shot.

So, my treadmill and elliptical have TV screens that I can watch YouTube on. In the hours of shear boredom trying to get in shape, I watch Africa hunting videos. What I’m amazed of, is all the hunts that required 2nd shots due to poor shot placement. Now, I’m not going to say I’m the best shot in the world, and I’ve made mistakes, but I’ve been baffled at the piss poor shot placements in the videos. In one video, the animals had to be put down with a pistol because of poor shot placement and bullet selection, which kind of pissed me off because I think we owe the animals more……. On my safari last summer, besides Buffalo, everything died with 1 shot. The Buffalo only required anchoring shots. Is it the lack of shooting ability, or the lack of experience off sticks that make people seem to shoot so poorly?
Most people can't shoot and certainly can't take the pressure of shooting off sticks. Then of course you have poor rifle and bullet selection."Oh, just take your deer rifle." That depends!

Most people can't shoot and certainly can't take the pressure of shooting off sticks. Then of course you have poor rifle and bullet selection."Oh, just take your deer rifle." That depends!

I agree with you, but it is very strange to me. I can’t imagine pitching up in Africa unprepared for a hunt.

I am a passionate bird hunter. This led to competitive shooting, instruction by world class coaches, and high level field trials with my pups in order to get better at it. The same holds for big game. Instruction, shooting drills, equipment optimization and preparation, and on and on.

I’ve mentioned before that my prep for Safari involves a daily five mile hike over the hill at the back of our farm (1,000’ elevation change) with my rifle and kit. This ends at the range with a few shots from sticks before I’ve recovered from the hump. To go and not be prepared… well I just wouldn’t do it.

Last edited:
So, my treadmill and elliptical have TV screens that I can watch YouTube on. In the hours of shear boredom trying to get in shape, I watch Africa hunting videos. What I’m amazed of, is all the hunts that required 2nd shots due to poor shot placement. Now, I’m not going to say I’m the best shot in the world, and I’ve made mistakes, but I’ve been baffled at the piss poor shot placements in the videos. In one video, the animals had to be put down with a pistol because of poor shot placement and bullet selection, which kind of pissed me off because I think we owe the animals more……. On my safari last summer, besides Buffalo, everything died with 1 shot. The Buffalo only required anchoring shots. Is it the lack of shooting ability, or the lack of experience off sticks that make people seem to shoot so poorly?

What were the angles in the poor shot placements you are referring to?

You ask whether it's a lack of shooting ability or lack of experience shooting off sticks? I would ask if it's the inability to properly visualize the vitals on an animal that isn't standing perfectly broadside, experienced hunter or not? That's at least what I see most often when it comes to poor shot placement. Quartering to seems to really throw people off when placing a bullet. Quartering away throws thing off as well. Even head on seems to be a problem for some. Add to any of those poor shooting ability or a shaky unfamiliar rest and bad things are bound to happen.

What kind of hunting experience do any of these people have? I get the idea from a lot of those YT hunting shows that hunting is a relatively new thing being experienced for the first time in Africa. Whether that's a young kid being dragged along by a parent, a 22 yr old college grad who has little to no experience and/or enthusiasm, or a 60+ yr old guy who can finally afford the custom rifle and exotic hunting trip he's always wanted to do.

Example from one of those shows: a couple older gentleman and I think tag along wives, none of whom I would mistake for experienced hunters are hunting plains game. A head on zebra has presented for a shot. The ph tells the client to aim in the center. The client proceeds to shoot the zebra square in the nose. Zebra runs off and the ph looks at the client in disbelief. The client thought he meant in the center of the entire upper animal profile in front of him. Of course he meant in the center of the chest. Ph takes off and tracks down zebra with clients rifle by himself.

Also, factor in the IMO far overblown or flat out wrong theory that the average antelopes vitals are so much further forward than a NA deer, or the guy being told to just do the high shoulder shot and Lord only knows where some of these people are aiming.

As far as the heart shot is concerned, it depends on the caliber and the bullet used and also where you hits the heart or around the heart. As has already been written, there is a difference between a heart that has only a small hole and another that has an extensive destruction of a wall. A section of the main vessels at the outlet of the heart leads surely to immediate death of the game. The heart shot is certainly in the majority of the cases not an instant death like a hit to the central nervous system, but the game stays in place or travelled a very short distance before it dies more or less quickly. The topic is mainly about shooting very heavy game species, above all the buffalo, and in this case a first shot placement on the brain or the neck spine is not common.

I agree with you about the lung shot, it's often hard to call it a 1 kill shot, but depending on the caliber and the bullet, the travelled distances are often extremely short and you can get close to the wounded game and make the final shot.
I couldn’t agree more

Buffalo archery one shot kill. Critter ran about 120 yards. Photo shows arrow through heart exactly as removed at skinning shed.

vlcsnap-2023-08-29-09h29m24s642.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddyBrode

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt