1” Tube Scopes

Is the extra light worth $200? I’ve never had a serious look through any other scopes than the leupolds that I already have, so I’m ignorant when it comes to optics

I go out at last light on our greenfields to compare optics. The difference is remarkable. It is not always the highest dollar scope that lets you tell a cull buck from an immature buck that needs a couple of years. My best low light scope is a trijicon accupoint 3-9x and that is competing against Swaro Z6 &Z8’s and Leupold VX6. My best scope overall is a Swaro Z8 1-8x24. I am convinced that that is the best piece of glass currently available. Naturally my wife has claimed it!

I have a Trijicon Credo HX, 1-6x24, 1st focal plane. This seems to be a good scope visually, and appears ruggedly built. The reticle in this one is “busier” than I care for.
I am passing it on to my son to put on a Ruger scout rifle. Though, it would be fine for me on anything that I have a straight tube scope on.

I didn't see any Swaro in stock ,unless you bought them already!!
3A319D2C-8261-40A8-9DC4-A5823FCD98A4.png

Sweet, I buy lots from prophet, they are awesome. I was just looking at wolverines website at the Schmidt's.

Prophet river has always treated me great and the fastest shipping I have ever seen.

Sweet, I buy lots from prophet, they are awesome. I was just looking at wolverines website at the Schmidt's.

Prophet river has always treated me great and the fastest shipping I have ever seen.
I’ve never dealt with them to be honest! But I’ve heard good things.

FYI The 30 mm scope does not gather or transmit any more light than a 1 " tube. The light gathering is a function of front lens size. Light transmission percentage is a function of optical/glass quality and the amount of light that you see ie brightness is a function of all these + your age + exit pupil (determined by magnification/lens size relationship).

30 mm scopes offer more room for adjustment of the cross hairs and that is about it. So it is favored by long range shooters and is tacticool right now. So 30 or 25 mm, not much difference.

I am quite comfortable with 4x magnification on my 30-06. Trajectory is +/- 2 inches out to about 250 m. It will cope with all my shooting needs.

FYI The 30 mm scope does not gather or transmit any more light than a 1 " tube. The light gathering is a function of front lens size. Light transmission percentage is a function of optical/glass quality and the amount of light that you see ie brightness is a function of all these + your age + exit pupil (determined by magnification/lens size relationship).

30 mm scopes offer more room for adjustment of the cross hairs and that is about it. So it is favored by long range shooters and is tacticool right now. So 30 or 25 mm, not much difference.

I am quite comfortable with 4x magnification on my 30-06. Trajectory is +/- 2 inches out to about 250 m. It will cope with all my shooting needs.
You’re correct about the amount of light transmission. With regards to that, I was thinking in terms of a straight tube, say 1-6x 1” scope, vs a 30mm with a 42mm bell.

You’re correct about the amount of light transmission. With regards to that, I was thinking in terms of a straight tube, say 1-6x 1” scope, vs a 30mm with a 42mm bell.
Any decent manufacturer matches the front lens to the magnification to give you adequate exit pupil size- a bigger front bell will be about matching components to give you the best product. Bigger lenses would make it heavier with no increase in the brighness of the image. So straight tube or big bell is a function of magnification/ zoom/ exit pupil.

Gentlemen,

I have am waiting on a Frankonia 8x68 that comes with 1” EAW rings, and am starting to look for scopes to mount. New rings are over half the price I paid for the rifle, so I won’t be upgrading to 30mm.

Unfortunately I live in an area where the only real retailer is a poorly stocked Cabelas, so I can’t go out and test a wide variety of manufacturers, so it will be an online purchase. This is where your recommendations come in. And yes, I realize I’m opening a can of worms here!

-Am I giving up too much light with a 24mm straight tube?

-Am I going to miss the variable powers if I went with a fixed 6x?

-I’d like to keep the scope at 42mm or less, and no higher of a magnification than 10x. I do t do any shooting over 300m, and to be honest, that’s a stretch for my abilities.

Id like to keep the price around the $1000US mark, and here are some options I have been kicking around:

-S&B Klassic 6x
-Leica Amplus 1-6
-Meopta 6x42
-Swaro Z3 3x10x42

I’d like to know your guys’ thoughts and opinions on a good set up for this rifle, and if someone has a scope they are looking to unload, I’m to used ones as well!
For what you are trying to do I’d go with Swarovski. I would not use a 1” scope myself these days however. It would have to be a special project where I was trying to build a super light mountain rifle.
Best
Philip

VX3 2.5-8x36mm and 3.5-10X40mm have served me well on several rifles. In fact I had the 3.5-10x40 on my 8mm Rem Mag when I had it. I have actually sold all of my 30mm tube hunting scopes, I don't need or want the weight or bulk for my purposes. Swaro Z3 or Z5 would be nice to.

That’s a solid scope.

Of the scopes originally noted the only one I have experience with is the S&B 6x42mm. It is very clear and low light performance is equal to the regulations here regarding legal shooting hours. for big game use I see the 6x as the best choice since it gives adequate FOV for most shooting situations (at least 100 yards) and sufficient magnification for shot placement to 350 yards. so for me, it is a very useful scope.

Of the scopes originally noted the only one I have experience with is the S&B 6x42mm. It is very clear and low light performance is equal to the regulations here regarding legal shooting hours. for big game use I see the 6x as the best choice since it gives adequate FOV for most shooting situations (at least 100 yards) and sufficient magnification for shot placement to 350 yards. so for me, it is a very useful scope.
With the options available, I decided to stick with a variable power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg