Leopard Follow Up and Charge

That experience would certainly get the plaque flowing.

Heading to Namibia in may for leopard. A lot of people talk about the nerves or buck fever of the leopard shot. I believe most of that is due to the possibility of this happening on the follow up. No hunter wants to get someone hurt.

was this a recent hunt ?

Last edited:
What the heck happened to that bullet? It looked like a true shot but no penetration! Awesome video of men who have saved each other. "You and me, never alone" really awesome, but an emotion I will always ever be a spectator for. God bless.

That’s a good case for quick detach rings. Whether the PH is carrying the rifle through the brush or the client, I would much prefer open sights at that point.

What the heck happened to that bullet? It looked like a true shot but no penetration! Awesome video of men who have saved each other. "You and me, never alone" really awesome, but an emotion I will always ever be a spectator for. God bless.
My thoughts as well. Rifle is chambered in 375 H&H. Leopards are solidly built but I would not refer to them as stout. A 375 slug should have gone through. I would really like to see that bullet.

Never having been in the situation before I can only imagine the range of emotion. Clearly the hunter was distraught by the way the hunt ended.

Speaking only for me, again not having had that experience, I’m not sure I could look at that beautiful trophy and ever feel like it was mine, or I had earned it.

So, how does one reconcile another hunter, PH or otherwise finishing off their animal and feel like they were successful?

I don’t mean to disparage the hunter….I’m sincerely asking.…I’ve often pondered it, but I know myself well enough to know that I’d be so disappointed in myself that it would be a struggle to feel good about it. I could be wrong but that’s how I perceived the hunter felt in the video?

Maybe someone can chime in….

Thank you for sharing the video, it was moving.

Last edited:
Never having been in the situation before I can only imagine the range of emotion. Clearly the hunter was distraught by the way the hunt ended.

Speaking only for me, again not having had that experience, I’m not sure I could look at that beautiful trophy and ever feel like it was mine, or I had earned it.

So, how does one reconcile another hunter PH or otherwise finishing off their animal and feel like they were successful?

I don’t mean to disparage the hunter….I’m sincerely asking.…I’ve often pondered it, but I know myself well enough to know that I’d be so disappointed in myself that it would be a struggle to feel good about it. I could be wrong but that’s how I perceived the hunter felt in the video?

Maybe someone can chime in….

Thank you for sharing the video, it was moving.
I think poor Jeff has to reconcile his image of himself before he landed in Zambia with the person who took the trophy home. I think that is really tough if one doesn't appreciate the incredible skill of that PH in that moment.

I think poor Jeff has to reconcile his image of himself before he landed in Zambia with the person who took the trophy home. I think that is really tough if one doesn't appreciate the incredible skill of that PH in that moment.
It’s that incredible skill that would make it even harder on me, I believe. Knowing that in that moment I wasn’t up for the job and had to rely on another to finish it. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

I think too, if I was part of the follow up, gun in hand, I would feel different than if I wasn’t. Even if it was not my shot that finished the job, I would know that I was at least involved. It’s a tough situation for sure.

Very Humbling

I think it’s the moment when he hands Jeff back his gun and says “This is what killed your leopard”….not sure I could look at it as my leopard. The PH has an incredible demeanor.

Last edited:
Really incredible video, with two men clearly having each others' back. There was no room for error and it was a great ending in the end.

As others said, I would like to see what happened on the first shot. As it was not shown in the video (or it was edited out), I would guess it was a shot not worthy of mentioning.

I can also echo @CBeck , I would have a hard time feeling that this was "my leopard". (Obviously I would pay for the hunt, that's without question, there was a blood trail to follow). But I also like to finish (or be part of) what I have started. If I f*ck up, I want to be part of the unf*cking.

Not on dangerous game, but I have once had a PH grab my rifle from my hands to finish of the animal. This is very difficult for one's ego to bear. But I also knew that the shot to be taken, was one I could not take. (picking out a deer out of a running herd). Felt awful with myself for a few weeks, and now I use that memory to try to do better every subsequent hunt I'm on. I'd like to imagine, that when stuff happens, that I can be gracious enough to sidestep my ego and handle it over to someone with more skill than I. But it is a very though nut to crack, that one.

This shows that everything does not go as planned, as the shot looked good, as far as we can see by the video. The video did a great job of capturing the powerful emotions of the situation. The bond between the tracker and the PH was evident and awesome. I really enjoyed the video and thanks for sharing.

It's always difficult to guess as we have not been there but I'd say the shot was too high, a bit far back and just behind the left shoulder. That is wrong point of aim when the cat is quartering towards as much as it was. Right point of aim would probably have been just in front of the left shoulder or on the shoulder and definitely lower.

I can unequivocally say that this is an overrated experience, and one that I hope I never have to face again.
Well done to Valerio and his tracker.

Great video with a good ending. Just goes to prove hunting is a dynamic endeavor, not a static one.

I can unequivocally say that this is an overrated experience, and one that I hope I never have to face again.
Well done to Valerio and his tracker.
I noticed he had more than a pen light and a 270...just saying

Great video
Great camera work
Great shooting by the team( tracker especially)
Difficult for the client but everybdy is safe
More dangerous to have an inexperienced gun in the mix in that situation

Whats the difference between a screwed up hunt and a lightbulb? Well, you can unscrew the light bulb by yourself. The video really shows the "Professional Hunter" and his "Professional Backup" and their "Professional skill set". As I firmly believe the DG PH's and their staff's are. Sure, the client didn't take the killing shot but in my books this hunt was a resounding success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavingcotswold

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg