ZIMBABWE: Zim hunt with Touch Africa

Mike 70560 the TIA was meant as an insider joke, not an excuse.

I knew that, just in agreement with you.

Actually I have been more surprised by some of the good reports in the past as they were better than I expected from that area. I have been told the "war vets" or squatters are a problem particularly for a concession that small.

Sorry it did not turn out as well as you hoped. At least you got a waterbuck (I have not yet) and a gnu which is always fun.

Yes Mike it is a problem. Most of the squatters are way too young to qualify as war vets and its irrelevant as the land grab orchestrated by Mugabe is long over. Now land owners report the squatters and according to my PH, if they dont move on, eventually the army "black boots" arrive and "encourage" the squatters to move on! In a not so friendly manner I am told! On a higher note, since Zim has been using the US dollar for the last couple of years things have improved quite a lot again according to my PH. It may not be so great here but its working fine in Zim!

We got to the airport early around 6:30 pm SAST, I saw "him/you" around 7:00 pm on June 15th. The only reason I thought it might be you is from reading and speaking to you on here, i knew we were going to be in Africa around the same time. Anyway, looked alot like you. Scott.

Sestoppelman, I am sorry to hear of the outcome of your hunt. I hunted Mjinwe with Jon for 14 days in May with Leopard the big goal. While I did not score on a Leopard I had an excellent hunt. I did collect a management Buff, Zebra, Wildebeest and Waterbuck. I saw several excellent Waterbuck and several very good Kudu (I wasn't looking for another one myself) that would have met your standards. Leopard were there. I had nine baits struck by females and had a couple of sets of male tracks that did not come to bait. You are correct that the smaller animals appeared to be abundant. Cover was thick. If I were after just plains game I would probably go a little later. I know the party that was there for 18 days before me. There were three hunters. They got a Leopard and shot somewhere between 45 and 50 animals between them. My wife and I were very comfortable and I have reupped for 2013 to try for Mr. Spots one more time. I am not 0 for 2!

Sestoppelman, I am sorry to hear of the outcome of your hunt. I hunted Mjinwe with Jon for 14 days in May with Leopard the big goal. While I did not score on a Leopard I had an excellent hunt. I did collect a management Buff, Zebra, Wildebeest and Waterbuck. I saw several excellent Waterbuck and several very good Kudu (I wasn't looking for another one myself) that would have met your standards. Leopard were there. I had nine baits struck by females and had a couple of sets of male tracks that did not come to bait. You are correct that the smaller animals appeared to be abundant. Cover was thick. If I were after just plains game I would probably go a little later. I know the party that was there for 18 days before me. There were three hunters. They got a Leopard and shot somewhere between 45 and 50 animals between them. My wife and I were very comfortable and I have reupped for 2013 to try for Mr. Spots one more time. I am not 0 for 2!

THAT must have been the problem, that party before you shot the place clean! ;)

Sorry to hear about your hunt. PM sent.

35bore,

I went thru Jo on the 17th, so must be my lookalike!

S.

S. He looked alot like you, that's why I was inquireing. Anyway, chin up.

My chin is up. It aint the end of the world. I look at it this way. Think of all the money I save in trophy fees and taxidermy bills! I can use that to buy more guns and that always makes me feel better!!

Retail therapy, especially when it involves guns, is good for the soul!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sestoppelman, thanks for your fair hunt report, sorry that your expecations, in terms of animals taken, were not met but I applaud your objectivity in reporting the "way it was".

Others would have, and could have, found all sorts of reasons or excuses to the detriment of the operator.

You have taken the "higher" ground.

Congrats on the success that you did experience and again thank-you for providing a considered and objective review.

Karma will prevail !

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I was worried I may have sounded a bit sour due to fatigue etc. Tried not to. Like I said to a PM question. Some of my nitpicky complaints about lighting and food, people etc., would seem less important had the actual hunt gone better. I know many have enjoyed their stay with Touch and some here have hunts booked with them too. Much depends on the specific quarry though when another poster mentioned a previous party taking a very large number of animals it does give one pause.

S.

If interested pictures of my two animals are on my page.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your report was very objective. I would not like all the extra people on "wild" hunt. And the fence issue to me should have been explained before the hunt. It sounds like a cape buffalo and plains game area. I would say a leopard hunt...is possible but with all the people... success is anything but certain. And the thick vegetation probably worked against you.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I know you've talked me out of Zim. I'll stick to RSA while I was there last year I seen Eland everywhere I went and one so big that it made my PH lock up the tires just to look at him I'm still kicking myself for not adding him to the list. Maybe next time.

S. Very nice animals, I really like the Blue Wildebeest, partial to them anyway. Congrats though, you did'nt come away empty handed. Scott.

Empty handed would have been painful indeed! I am having a flat rug made of the gnu. My brother had one made from the one he took in Namibia in '07 and its really neat. I may have to work on the wildebeest "slam" now that I have two of species. Took the white bearded in Tanzania on my first trip. Will need the black and the Nyasaland.

You have a pic of that white bearded one never seen that before.thanks Billc

Billc

Here is what a White Bearded Wildebeest (WBW) looks like...
11452-004-44240E18.jpg

Attachments

• 11452-004-44240E18.jpg
    11452-004-44240E18.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 72
THATS AN AWESOME ANIMAL. THANKS James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.