Zimbabwe Professional Hunter and Guide Exams Nullified

Wow! It does sound like it was very tough!! Congrats to your godson!

The stats were 119 wrote, 23 passed, 77 failed, 19 re-writes. Very tough.
As others have said, congrats to your Godson.

This reinforces the standards which Zimbabwe applies to PHs and guides. When you hire a Zim PH, you aren't guaranteed a great personality (I've met a few . . .!), but you are pretty much guaranteed someone who knows what he's doing.

The stats were 119 wrote, 23 passed, 77 failed, 19 re-writes. Very tough.

I read the exam in detail to see what the nature of the content was.

My perceptions:

1.) There were more than a few dumb civics questions that occupied space. Examples included citing features of the Zimbabwe coat of arms. Also, you had to know what the name of the Chinese Covid vaccines were that they provided to Zimbabwe.

2.) There was shamelessly little on safety in my opinion. Types of acceptable rifle carrying. Consequences of bad gun maintenance and potentially catastrophic injuries. etc.

3.) There were many ballistic questions. These were the easiest for an American to answer as we are a "gun and accuracy culture" but probably very difficult for a Zimbabwean. MPBR, internal and external ballistics, SD, BC, etc. The average PH knows little of these things and if you tried to teach them, they'd say something like "why does it matter, the average shot is at 38 yards and you're trying to tell me things that happen at 300 yards". I get their point, I also empathize with the difficulty of knowing this stuff in a culture that doesn't talk about or write about this stuff at length.

4.) There was virtually nothing on archery and I think that's a big miss. PHs are largely uninformed about archery and it is a legal method of take in Zimbabwe. It's also a very complicated topic. I've had PHs release a tracking dog and chase after an animal that was JUST HIT because they don't understand reading the arrow, giving the animal a moment to bleed, etc. Understanding how archery kills and basic archery protocols should be mandatory.

5.) The first aid questions were quite good. Very important.

6.) No questions that reinforced the need for ammo hygiene, proper gun maintenance, requirement to check rifles for feed and function, unacceptable thresholds for lack of care of a firearm, etc.

7.) Good job requiring chapter and verse knowledge of the law in their wildlife act. I think the test did a great job ensuring professionals know the law.

8.) Good amount of wildlife and natural history questions, although very little applied utility was emphasized. Asking Genus and Species questions is rote memorization, but they didn't ask "which of these animals must be shot further forward due to vital organ location?" or other such questions that ensure ethical shots.

In short, it is a hard test and it is an accomplishment to pass it. It also deserves a bit of attention to areas of greater importance that get overlooked.

Thanks for the oversight Rook. This particular paper was Habits and Habitat only, but it sounds like you have read the others too, law etc. What is great about the Zim system is that these candidates now spend up to five more years with knowledgeable people, not just learning but maturing. I should think most of the other angles, like archery, will get an airing during that time.

Thanks for the oversight Rook. This particular paper was Habits and Habitat only, but it sounds like you have read the others too, law etc. What is great about the Zim system is that these candidates now spend up to five more years with knowledgeable people, not just learning but maturing. I should think most of the other angles, like archery, will get an airing during that time.

That's always the tough things about skilled, regulated professions. When you think about it, you can be 80%-90% proficient as a PH in a month, a surgeon in 6 months, 6 months for a lawyer.

The 5 years of PH additional training, the 10 years for a surgeon, and the 3 years for a lawyer need to focus on the rare and off the beaten path scenarios too. My daughter's life was saved by a surgeon that remembered an obscure paragraph of knowledge from a required textbook he read 20 years prior about a condition so rare it had changed names 4 times in a decade. A PH will likely save a life or avoid a debacle under the same sort of obscure knowledge and preparation in a pinch. (e.g. where is the closest location for a particular antivenom serum and how to call them)

That's the cautionary tale of assuming practicum is going to prepare someone. Practicum makes a PH extra-proficient at the 90% common scenarios just as it is for surgeons. The once-in-a-blue-moon knowledge to make up the difference? That requires some pretty specialized instruction or reading. The test missed some things that I'm not sure practicum will provide.

I'll join the others in congratulations to your God son Kevin. A great achievement. :A Banana:

After reading @rookhawk assessment of the exam, I wonder how it compares to the exams given by the other countries. :unsure:

I'll join the others in congratulations to your God son Kevin. A great achievement. :A Banana:

After reading @rookhawk assessment of the exam, I wonder how it compares to the exams given by the other countries. :unsure:

@Randy F I'm certain that the Zim exam vastly exceeds the testing standards of any other country in Africa. In Zim, you need years of study, testing, practicum, and proficiency exams. You then need "Residency" time in the bush after particular dangerous game before you get to be a DG PH.

So to Zim's credit, they have incredibly high standards compared to say, RSA that you can certify in a matter of weeks.

But Zim has taken on this mantle of exceptional expectations on their professionals. In light of that, I believe they then have accountability to deliver to that quality. The good news is they want to be the best, truly. My feedback on the exam was it had a few blindsides in it and had some questions that were unncessary.

My critique shouldn't diminish the fact that Zim tries awfully hard to have the highest standards in Africa.

Rook, I believe the blindsides may have been intentional to see if a paper had leaked again - apparently not!
Randy, I am no expert, but listening to stories of the final practical where the candidate has to 'host' a group of examiners in his camp, guides their hunt, skins, and entertains them in the evening they are physically and mentally exhausted. So when you or I arrive it is a relative walk in the park...

Rook, I believe the blindsides may have been intentional to see if a paper had leaked again - apparently not!
Randy, I am no expert, but listening to stories of the final practical where the candidate has to 'host' a group of examiners in his camp, guides their hunt, skins, and entertains them in the evening they are physically and mentally exhausted. So when you or I arrive it is a relative walk in the park...
No pressure there huh? ;) Tested beyond the test. Pretty interesting stuff. That's why I was curious how other countries conduct their exams.

I'd be happy to put your God son to work someday. :giggle:

My perceptions:

1.) There were more than a few dumb civics questions that occupied space. Examples included citing features of the Zimbabwe coat of arms. Also, you had to know what the name of the Chinese Covid vaccines were that they provided to Zimbabwe.

2.) There was shamelessly little on safety in my opinion. Types of acceptable rifle carrying. Consequences of bad gun maintenance and potentially catastrophic injuries. etc.

3.) There were many ballistic questions. These were the easiest for an American to answer as we are a "gun and accuracy culture" but probably very difficult for a Zimbabwean. MPBR, internal and external ballistics, SD, BC, etc. The average PH knows little of these things and if you tried to teach them, they'd say something like "why does it matter, the average shot is at 38 yards and you're trying to tell me things that happen at 300 yards". I get their point, I also empathize with the difficulty of knowing this stuff in a culture that doesn't talk about or write about this stuff at length.

4.) There was virtually nothing on archery and I think that's a big miss. PHs are largely uninformed about archery and it is a legal method of take in Zimbabwe. It's also a very complicated topic. I've had PHs release a tracking dog and chase after an animal that was JUST HIT because they don't understand reading the arrow, giving the animal a moment to bleed, etc. Understanding how archery kills and basic archery protocols should be mandatory.

6.) No questions that reinforced the need for ammo hygiene, proper gun maintenance, requirement to check rifles for feed and function, unacceptable thresholds for lack of care of a firearm, etc.

7.) Good job requiring chapter and verse knowledge of the law in their wildlife act. I think the test did a great job ensuring professionals know the law.

8.) Good amount of wildlife and natural history questions, although very little applied utility was emphasized. Asking Genus and Species questions is rote memorization, but they didn't ask "which of these animals must be shot further forward due to vital organ location?" or other such questions that ensure ethical shots.

In short, it is a hard test and it is an accomplishment to pass it. It also deserves a bit of attention to areas of greater importance that get overlooked.
Hi Rook,

I agree with all of your points. I would like to mention one thing most of these candidates are fresh out of high school and have never touched let alone owned a firearm. Now those that have passed and receive their Learners will be allowed to legally purchase and carry a firearm. I have no doubt that a U.S. style hunter safety style exam would be a great addition to the written exam process.

I will have to correct you on this. It is NOT only an "application" to become a PH in South Africa. There are two exams from Nature Conservation which have to be passed (under which one is a law exam and the other is nature knowledge and more), and an additional bunch of practical exams as well as written exams at the PH School itself. And let me tell you, the standard is HIGH. This is coming from a qualified PH.

After passing all written and practical exams (required mark is 70%, mind you), you write the NC exams, which you also have to pass. Only then you may apply for a license at Nature Conservation.

My perceptions:

This further proves my point that South African PHs have high quality exams that have to be passed, and it's completely wrong to assume that "South African PHs only have to apply, that's the only requirement". Practical exams include horn judgement from 100m/91 yards with a bino, where we have to be accurate to within 1" to score half a point, and accurate to within 0.5" to score a full point. Rifle handling, maintenance, caliber choices for different species, stalking techniques, first aid, common practices, outfitter related practices, how to interact with clients, how to be a good host, trophy photography, bowhunting techniques and practice, all of this is covered in our lectures and exams. Practical exams also include longer distance shooting as well as shooting at multiple targets off-hand within a short timeframe, where you have to hit a 2" diameter circle at three distances off hand within that given time. It also includes a practical caping exam after caping lectures, where you have to skin the head of an animal in order to prepare it for taxidermy. Rowland Ward and SCI measuring methods are also covered in detail, and each student has to explain how to measure a given animal for both RW and SCI methods. Further, we are practically examined by having to measure horns and skulls of different species. As I mentioned before, all practical and written exams have a requirement of 70% to pass. For the NC exams, everything is covered - there are two exams: one for species identification, nature knowledge etc. and the other for hunting methods, law, etc. The shortest PH course you can do in SA is the 10 day course, where intensive lectures are given and knowledge is tested on a daily basis. Not only book knowledge, but also your knowledge of the field, hunting, weapons etc. This is the standard at David Sutherland Hunting academy, so if someone tells you they did their PH course with Dave Sutherland, you should know that the PH knows their story and has a hunting background - it's not any person who comes there, does the 10 day course and you're qualified.

Congrats Kevin!

Ruan makes some good points, and let's face it a PH' capability and talent is an ever expanding circle, it doesn't begin with the exam and it doesn't end with the formal training passout. This is a career of love, nobody gets rich being a PH, so weeks or years in the beginning, they are always anxious and dedicated to keep learning thereafter. SA produces excellent PH's as does Zim, I would love to hunt with them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!