Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
I have a pair of Zeiss Dialyt binos that are forever old. My grandpa bought them, when I have no actual idea. He was not one to spend money, so they represent one of the few pieces of gear he actually did splurge on. They have been mine for many years.

The glass is still outstanding, and I enjoy hunting with them because they were his. They show the wear and tear of being carried around, and the last time I used them (on a caribou hunt) there was some condensation inside. The smart thing to do would be to retire them. Setting that option aside, is there anyplace that does refurbishment of older optics? I'm hoping for responses from folks who have had this done with optics - direct, first hand knowledge with suggestions, if such places exist.

Thanks in advance.

I've had one pair of Nikon binoculars develop a problem from very hard use. Ditto with a Zeiss rifle scope. In both cases, I contacted the repairs department through their respective US websites.

Nikon repaired the binoculars for free - no questions asked. Even though they were long out of warranty. Zeiss replaced the scope immediately - before I had even sent the failed one in.

Based on this great service, if I were you, I'd start by contacting Zeiss. Good luck.

They'll repair it. Burris has also been fantastic over the years (in the USA!) for things I've broken on hunts, or simply worn out over the decades.

I know we have private business's in Australia that service optics. I'm sure it's a thing.
The guy who owns Optical trained under Zeiss I think.

There gotta be someone in most countries doing this work.

It might cost a few hundred dollars but it makes GrandPas Ninos like new again.
Clean internally, lubricate moving parts replace O rings and regas, something like that.

If the glass is good they will probably be worth it.

Zeiss Optics
1-800-338-2984
Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc
1015 Commerce St
Petersburg, VA 23803

I have a set of Dialyt 8x30B binos that I've owned for more than thirty years. Some time ago I returned them to Zeiss for a bit of maintenance. New eye rubber pieces, hinge repair, etc. I don't recall the cost, but it was nominal.

Many choices for binoculars, but IMO Zeiss is on par with the best of them. Just saying.

Odds are they will stand behind them. There is a chance they destroy them and send you a brand new pair if they are too old and they can’t get parts. That would be amazing customer service but may be devastating to you since they are an heirloom.

Ask Zeiss if they can be repaired and clearly state they are a treasured heirloom you don’t want to replace.

@Tundra Tiger please check this link. I sent a pair of Conquest bino's about a year and a half ago. There is a repair request form to fill out and send in. I was very happy with the repair turnaround.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.17.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.17.56 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.17.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.17.57 AM.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.18.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.18.00 AM.png
    374.5 KB · Views: 58
I recently sent to Zeiss an older Diavari C scope for repair and I got an email stating they are not able to repair due to lack of parts. Does anyone know of another Zeiss optic repair shop?

I own 2 pairs of Zeiss 10X40 black armored Binoculars the first pair I bought in Hong Kong in the late 70s. I sent them back to Zeiss in the late 90s they replaced eye cups cleaned and adjusted. If I remember correctly there was no charge. The other pair I keep as a reserve pair in case I ever lose my originals.

About a year ago I sent my wife Swarovski's 8X32 in for repairs (eye cup kept coming off) they replaced the eye cup. They said one of the lenses was scratched, repair cost was around $600.00!!
I would have to confirm the exact cost.

Around 10 years ago, I sent an old Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 to the factory in Germany. It had been dropped by an *#@ggg and was dented in the front.

They did a great job !

I can’t believe my luck. I have another Zeiss Diavari C (1.5-4.5) on my 416 Rigby that I was fine tuning last week for my upcoming hunt in Zambia. Had a 3/4” group and needed to adjust left a little bit, made the clicks and checked it. Shot was low center, next shot lower and left, third shot 8 inches low/3 inches left.... and the next two went further down like the titanic. scope gave up- bell housing wiggles up and down. I’m not even sure if I’ll send it to Zeiss, it’s the same era scope as the one they stated no parts to fix it. Two scopes down in less than a month.

They'll repair it. Burris has also been fantastic over the years (in the USA!) for things I've broken on hunts, or simply worn out over the decades.
I did have one pr of non-Zeiss binos I loved. Sent back for refurbishment and they sent me a brand new pair as parts were no longer available for them (Burris or Leupold?) so same may happen in your case (which may be contrary to your mission.) Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
009bar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.