ZAMBIA: Zambezi Valley Hunt In Zambia With Shamwari Safaris

Great pics!!! Awesome buff also!

ENVY! What a fine old dagga boy and such a grand experience! Thanks for sharing the story and excellent pictures!

Well done!

Pete did tell me that at one point he tracked a blood trail for over a mile, only to realize it was you bleeding from scratches on your legs. I see from the pic that is true. :ROFLMAO:

Proper hunt!

In the year of the virus, it is good to read a report. Thanks for the post.(y)

Sounds like you had a fantastic hunt. Love your old buff. He certainly has character. Thanks also for all the wonderful photos.

Thought there were standards for PH's in Zambia, but I guess they will let anybody become an appy these days.:D

In the year of the virus, it is good to read a report. Thanks for the post.(y)

Sounds like you had a fantastic hunt. Love your old buff. He certainly has character. Thanks also for all the wonderful photos.

Thought there were standards for PH's in Zambia, but I guess they will let anybody become an appy these days.:D

Well done!

Pete did tell me that at one point he tracked a blood trail for over a mile, only to realize it was you bleeding from scratches on your legs. I see from the pic that is true. :ROFLMAO:

Proper hunt!

I bled like a stuffed pig - everyday! That bush is tough!

It is not a place for sissies!

Congrats on a great buff, thanks for the report and wonderful pictures.

Marc

Congrats on your hunt in Rufunsa! Could you give us an idea of the overall game population in the area? What did you see in the way of elephant/elephant sign?

Marc

Congrats on your hunt in Rufunsa! Could you give us an idea of the overall game population in the area? What did you see in the way of elephant/elephant sign?

Hey Safari1, thanks, it was a great hunt.

we saw a lot of elephant and plenty of sign. There were actually elephant harassing the village close to the camp almost daily. There was a big tusker in there according to the villagers who claim to have seen him. but we saw elephant all over the concession and frequently "bumped" them in the bush.

There were lots of Kudu, not too many impala, but we did see herds a couple of times. They have some MONSTER bushbuck in big numbers. Leopard in big numbers, and warthogs that are world class, also in huge numbers. we also saw a fair number of Grysbok and Duiker.

Dont misunderstand me, its not like a reserve, but for a GMA, the game is there and is reflected in the quantity of spoor you see everyday!

Well done Jumbo, what an outstanding hunt, culminating in an outstanding bull!
One question - what was the reason you drew a blank in the Dande?

thought I’d add a few of the trail cam pics Steve sent through.

E2679428-1226-4627-B955-51166FEAB6CE.jpeg
0A7A9A81-F6FC-431A-98A8-6AE548E89E71.jpeg
E74037B3-D95D-4BEA-BA75-AF9447C4B014.jpeg
318CCD92-B4FE-4D92-A0FC-A77E368667B4.jpeg

check the time stamp on the following two pics. As Marc mentioned, these buff were closely followed into the waterhole by a few lions.
62DC4820-0D6E-4315-8B7C-2A178E60CA22.jpeg
5BCF36FE-1561-4A80-9FA5-B9675CAA300A.jpeg

So much for the attempted leopard bait...
E09D6E50-2C6C-46E7-B359-868BB4A06BF7.jpeg
6828CD32-EACE-417F-AA97-63317FDF5B53.jpeg

the date and time on this camera wasnt set right...
A168A713-D332-4A48-A879-93630563270F.jpeg
D6609C2C-707E-4DF9-AA5A-EDB1F973785B.jpeg
BB6B6EBA-FD71-43DD-96E2-81FE3E9D6932.jpeg

Last edited:
thought I’d add a few of the trail cam pics Steve sent through.

View attachment 357801 View attachment 357802 View attachment 357803 View attachment 357804
check the time stamp on the following two pics. As Marc mentioned, these buff were closely followed into the waterhole by a few lions.
View attachment 357805 View attachment 357806
So much for the attempted leopard bait...
View attachment 357807 View attachment 357808
the date and time on this camera wasnt set right...View attachment 357809 View attachment 357810 View attachment 357811

Looks like a good Big 4 area!

Looks like a good Big 4 area!
It definitely is.
All apart from one very cold overcast day, we saw lots of signs across all the roads we drove and wherever we walked.

An absolutely fantastic week of hard hunting culminating in a great buff for Marc.

What were the biggest herds of buff you got into?

Last edited:
The bigger groups were in the 30+ I would say. Hard to tell exactly when the bush is so thick that you can’t see the whole herd at the same time.

@Jumbo

Thank you for taking the time and sharing the well written story, congratulations on a fantastic buffalo and what great character!

The additional photos are icing on the cake!

Thanks again,
Edge

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful report. Was there somebody leopard hunting as well or do they routinely have baits out?

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful report. Was there somebody leopard hunting as well or do they routinely have baits out?
No one was leopard hunting. We found a kudu that had died in a fight and asked the head ranger for permission to use the meat and see if we could capture any leopard on camera. Marc was kind enough to let us eat up a couple of hours out of the buff hunt to put the bait up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.