ZAMBIA: Zambezi Valley Hunt In Zambia With Shamwari Safaris

Thanks for all the great comments guys.

This really was a memorable experience and fantastic hunt. I can confirm that Buffalo hunting is addictive. I must also say how privileged I feel having been able to hunt during the Pandemic. I really feel for you guys stuck in lockdowns and missing long anticipated hunts.

Trust me it will be even more worthwhile when you do get out there!

I also just wanted to share some pics of the bullet performance from my Woodleigh softs that I used on the buff.
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg

This bullet was recovered in the back of the stomach - full of grass - after the frontal shot. I must say, it fragmented more than I had expected. It did however retain approximately 82% of its weight even given the way it looks.

The second bullet certainly performed better in my view and was found in the shoulder after my second shot. this one retained in excess of 87% of its weight and mushroomed nicely with good jacket performance.

IMG_1225.jpg
IMG_1227.jpg

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this performance. Anyone experienced similar with Woodleigh's?

This really was a memorable experience and fantastic hunt. I can confirm that Buffalo hunting is addictive. I must also say how privileged I feel having been able to hunt during the Pandemic. I really feel for you guys stuck in lockdowns and missing long anticipated hunts.

I also just wanted to share some pics of the bullet performance from my Woodleigh softs that I used on the buff.
View attachment 358692 View attachment 358693
This bullet was recovered in the back of the stomach - full of grass - after the frontal shot. I must say, it fragmented more than I had expected. It did however retain approximately 82% of its weight even given the way it looks.

The second bullet certainly performed better in my view and was found in the shoulder after my second shot. this one retained in excess of 87% of its weight and mushroomed nicely with good jacket performance.

View attachment 358694 View attachment 358695

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on this performance. Anyone experienced similar with Woodleigh's?

No Woodleigh experts?

I was hoping to get some feedback on the performance, as the first one I wasn't that impressed with, whilst the second seemed to work very well! Curious as to what would make the first one fragment like that - having said that it still had reasonable weight retention.

View attachment 358692 View attachment 358693

View attachment 358694 View attachment 358695

Scary stuff not what I am looking for in a premium grade expanding bullet....good Lion or leopard bullet....maybe depending on caliber....

More shocking if that is from the 470 NE @+ 2150 fps, nothing will be left If that came out my 500 Jeff @ 2350 Fps...

Scary stuff not what I am looking for in a premium grade expanding bullet....good Lion or leopard bullet....maybe depending on caliber....

More shocking if that is from the 470 NE @+ 2150 fps, nothing will be left If that came out my 500 Jeff @ 2350 Fps...

I must agree, however i am more curious as to what it could have hit that would have caused that, as the second one hit shoulder and it performed very nicely. The apparent inconsistency is my concern. Thought maybe someone may have insight.

Woodleighs have always been touted as great in slower calibers, like the NE etc, so I agree with you. I wouldn't rush to use them in something like a LOTT or Jeff. I will stick with Swift A Frames for the faster calibers. Just me.

I hunted chewore last october ,awseome enjoy your hunt

@PeteG sitting in Perth this is as close as I can get to hunting at the moment.
Really glad I captured the story of the hunt while it was fresh in my head. That and the pics have made my evening!

Not sure how I missed this report @Jumbo. Proper hunt sir!

@PeteG sitting in Perth this is as close as I can get to hunting at the moment.
Really glad I captured the story of the hunt while it was fresh in my head. That and the pics have made my evening!
@Jumbo we will have to get you your hunting fix once you’re able to travel out here again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg