Why do Europeans add greenery to trophy photos?

A comment from the above:
"I give my animals a respectful pat on the head and say a silent thank you."

Some folks make a public display of their feelings while others keep it to themselves.

Enough said.

Treating the killing of animals as "transactional" is a very modern Western thing to do imo. I think most people mean no disrespect by shooting a cow in the head with a bolt or tossing a deer on the giant deer pile at the processor, but they feel the same remorse as a lion does when they make a kill. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it harkens back to our pre- homo sapien / neanderthal ancestors when religion, ritual, and culture where not yet a thought on our evolutionary path. I think the fact Westerners (Americans in particular) eat far more meat than we should & the speed at which you can obtain a Fast Food probably causes that.

I think much of the world still incorporates a quarter million years of traditions, and I think that is good. The caveat being so long as it is a sincere act and not a show being put on for a tourist hunter.

Treating the killing of animals as "transactional" is a very modern Western thing to do imo. I think most people mean no disrespect by shooting a cow in the head with a bolt or tossing a deer on the giant deer pile at the processor, but they feel the same remorse as a lion does when they make a kill. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think it harkens back to our pre- homo sapien / neanderthal ancestors when religion, ritual, and culture where not yet a thought on our evolutionary path. I think the fact Westerners (Americans in particular) eat far more meat than we should & the speed at which you can obtain a Fast Food probably causes that.

I think much of the world still incorporates a quarter million years of traditions, and I think that is good. The caveat being so long as it is a sincere act and not a show being put on for a tourist hunter.
I feel that by resting my hand on his head I am thanking him for giving himself to me. Per an old Native American custom, I am asking him to transmit his spirit and intelligence from his brain to mine.

Too much respect for the animal is lost today. Very little thought is given to intelligence and spirit of survival of the animal. Granted, it is a duel between hunter and hunted and the hunter does not always win. Too many times, though, it's stalk, shoot, OK, he's down. Let the skinners do their thing and on to the next one with very little respect shown to the animal just killed.

Take a minute, stand next to the kill and just think. Envision that animal's life and what he had endured before giving himself to you. Battles with predators, others of his species, drought, hunger. Be thankful he was where he was when you spotted him and allowed you collect a fine specimen. Reflect on this when you look at him in your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!