Who is your favorite Tarzan?

No disrespect to my stunning wife (yes, truly stunning mind you).
But Maureen O’Sullivan ….. just WOW, whata beauty.

After a series of strokes johnny Weissmüller spend a few weeks in the Motion Picture Hospital in Woodland Hills, Legend has it he echoed the halls a few times with his famous victory cry of the bull ape,

Ron Ely for me!

No Jane and hanging around that little boy all the time might be a problem.

Just saying...

I was thinking Brendan Fraser as George of the Jungle :):)

I've actuality never seen any of the movies, but Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of my favorite authors, whether Tarzan, John Carter, or any of his other heroes.

No disrespect to my stunning wife (yes, truly stunning mind you).
But Maureen O’Sullivan ….. just WOW, whata beauty.
Interesting additional story;

So Maureen O’sullivan’s wardrobe in 1934’s “Tarzan and His Mate” was considered quite scandalous exposed from ankle all the way through the hip. And they shot several scenes with a double in the nude. MGM was forced to edit the scenes. Wasn’t until 1986 when Ted Turner purchased the rights to old MGM catalog when the original version was discovered and released.

The up and rising NAZI party banned the film but not because of the scantily clad Jane. Because they didn't like the portrayal of one of the actors.

De5wLGw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Who is your favorite Tarzan?
Enjoy.
Oh my gosh @Jfet ! As you know from reading my book, I was infatuated with Tarzan and looked forward to the movies every weekend until I was kicked out of the LR by my Dad and brothers. Tarzan is where I first formed my love of Africa. BUT, I don't know if I can pick a favorite! I think I need to go back and watch them ALL all over again to make a good decision! LOL! Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Weissmuller

Hey @Just Gina ! I wish we could get together and have a Tarzan movie party! We could watch them all and make sure we choose our favorite correctly! LOL. I went and looked up some of the Tarzans and realized that I have missed a bunch!

Interesting additional story;

So Maureen O’sullivan’s wardrobe in 1934’s “Tarzan and His Mate” was considered quite scandalous exposed from ankle all the way through the hip. And they shot several scenes with a double in the nude. MGM was forced to edit the scenes. Wasn’t until 1986 when Ted Turner purchased the rights to old MGM catalog when the original version was discovered and released.

The up and rising NAZI party banned the film but not because of the scantily clad Jane. Because they didn't like the portrayal of one of the actors.

View attachment 513567
Interesting....but I had a hard time checking out the Janes. My eyes didn't get much past whoever was paying Tarzan. I did like "Boy" though!

I've actuality never seen any of the movies, but Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of my favorite authors, whether Tarzan, John Carter, or any of his other heroes.
Oh MY GOSH @rinehart0050 You have NEVER seen a Tarzan movie! I can't even imagine. They were a huge part of my weekends in the winter months any time my Dad and brothers left the house. (We only had one TV and majority ruled....and Tarzan was NOT their choice. LOL).

For me there was only one, Johnny Weissmüller and Maureen O'Sullivan is the only Jane that I'll accept.
@JimP It is so funny....but until this post I never even considered that men might have like Jane! Isn't that ridiculous. I was too infatuated with whoever was playing Tarzan!

@JimP It is so funny....but until this post I never even considered that men might have like Jane! Isn't that ridiculous. I was too infatuated with whoever was playing Tarzan!

That's the girly side of you showing.

I always had a crush on Maureen O'Sullivan along with a few others as I watched movies as I was a kid.

I've noticed lately that TCM has been showing Tarzan movies on Sunday mornings.

That's the girly side of you showing.

I always had a crush on Maureen O'Sullivan along with a few others as I watched movies as I was a kid.

I've noticed lately that TCM has been showing Tarzan movies on Sunday mornings.
@JimP Geez, I wish my brothers would have been interested in Jane! I might have been able to watch a LOT more Tarzans. I always got booted from the TV room as soon as Dad and the boys came home....right when Tarzan was about to rescue Jane or Boy from a pit of vipers or some such thing.

Thanks for the info about Tarzan on Sunday mornings! All this talk makes me want to watch some movies again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois