Who hunted bear with a knife?

I keep going back to the question of "Why would you want to hunt a bear with a knife?" :Bored:

It would be bad enough to have to defend yourself with only a knife. To actually go for the latest top Darwin Award by actively looking for a bear to kill with a knife? Even if you win, you lose something.

The smell of gunpowder just gets more and more appealing.
I suppose if loading components are unavailable one must make do with what is at hand. Personally, I would choose to stay home and paint pictures on my cave's walls. Mark me down as a berry picking vegan!

With everything that's going on right now it may take me a while but my son bought me a book about these 1800s trekkers in America and specifically their bear hunts you will love it!!! It's probably packed up in a box as we are transitioning from my house to live up at the farm but I just came upon the box today...This guy was a (Black) Bear hunter!!!
1713454314203.png

Hey guys,

Trying to recall the name of the guy (I think 1900ish?) who used to hunt bear with a knife and hounds.

Not much to go off but anyone know who I’m talking about?
Not sure, but one night I was Bare assed looking for a knife.

Treeing them with hounds (blk bear-climbers) and shooting with lo-po levers, pistols and yes knifing them (typ. 2nd shot) was popular! lol Brown bear must've been NO fun until the 45-70, 404 and Springfield w/ 220 gr came around, and those are marginally adequate.

When it comes down to an animal attack such as bear. You have to do with what youve got. Its better to have a knife than no knife. As a last resort a knife may make the difference between life or death. While one good stab may not kill the bear, it may deter it enough to end the attack.

A few years ago my wife and I were visiting a friend’s church in Anchorage. There I was told about a member of the church who had killed a brown bear with his Buck knife many years ago. I don’t recall the gentleman’s name but I think this is his story.

BTW I was told that Buck knife company had offered him a handsome amount of money to buy the knife back from him but he had declined.

Last edited:
bär.jpg

If only he'd had a knife......

Show me a case from the last 50 years.
For me, these are all fantasies.
To hunt it is rather something for an indolent group of people, who are also otherwise who are also not quite dense.

Last edited:
A few years ago my wife and I were visiting a friend’s church in Anchorage. There I was told about a member of the church who had killed a brown bear with his Buck knife many years ago. I don’t recall the gentleman’s name but I think this is his story.

BTW I was told that Buck knife company had offered him a handsome amount of money to buy the knife back from him but he had declined.

Now that’s one Funny Fairy Tale — a 4” knife and a “knock out punch“ to the bears nose. I am more then skeptical about this story —- but it is a good “Bed time story” for me to tell the Grandkids !

View attachment 601280
If only he'd had a knife......

Show me a case from the last 50 years.
For me, these are all fantasies.
To hunt it is rather something for an indolent group of people, who are also otherwise who are also not quite dense.
Big head, small bear! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double