Which animals slow you down during the importation process?

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
When it is time for your trophies to come back to the US (Post taxidermy occurring in RSA), and they go thru the Customs process, I remember reading on here that a wart hog and a bush pig will slow the process down as an additional inspection is required. I have recently added a Honey Badger to my wish list for my June, 2024 hunt. Will the honey badger also slow down that process?

Thanx in advance.

I have not checked on the Badger but will be doing so as I have decided on my next hunt I want one, but a few months ago I spoke to Laura at Coppersmiths in Chicago, Ill about the 2 Warthogs I took a few months ago and was told if they are finished work or finished Euro mounts then USF&W will not be an issue (I sure hope so) they will be back next year with a few other animals

Humans. Humans (Animalia....primate, homo sapiens...) slow down the process, not the trophy animals. It's quite an achievement to slow anything down when you're dead. And, I myself felt quite peppy anxiously awaiting the shipments (never slowed down.)

Humans. Humans (Animalia....primate, homo sapiens...) slow down the process, not the trophy animals. It's quite an achievement to slow anything down when you're dead. And, I myself felt quite peppy anxiously awaiting the shipments (never slowed down.)
I guess the point is that certain animals require a different inspection from humans.

I guess the point is that certain animals require a different inspection from humans.
Yes. USDA stuff. They get all "curious George" around the other primates (plus pigs and bovines!) lol It's worth waiting for, and you have no choice (once taken.) If only they check all the Asian shipments for invasive species prior! ;) Impossible. Buy at home!

Monkey’s and baboons…..the importation adds another 5 months to the process
I'm not saying you don't have a story that fits your response, but I help clear 3-4 safaris per year and I have never witnessed either of these holding up importation for an ADDITIONAL 5 months. If at all, maybe a few weeks.

I've got a crate that's supposed to land in NY next Thursday, it's got monkey, bush pig, wart hog, and ostrich in it, I think it's the brokers job to get the proper permits and such. Might be a few bucks more for it but I don't think it slows the process down. Just a little more paperwork. I hunted the animals last august so it's been just over a year. If I have a vote, I vote you shoot whatever you want and bring it home. I've always wanted wart hog and monkey so there was no way I was gonna pass on them. Get a decent broker and let them do their job. Good luck with the research!!

I've got a crate that's supposed to land in NY next Thursday, it's got monkey, bush pig, wart hog, and ostrich in it, I think it's the brokers job to get the proper permits and such. Might be a few bucks more for it but I don't think it slows the process down. Just a little more paperwork. I hunted the animals last august so it's been just over a year. If I have a vote, I vote you shoot whatever you want and bring it home. I've always wanted wart hog and monkey so there was no way I was gonna pass on them. Get a decent broker and let them do their job. Good luck with the research!!
Isn't F&F the only game in town in NY? I've used 'em and yes shipments w/ buffalo, primates and pigs have been slow to receive (anywhere from weeks to months, depending up their level of business, Customs, USDA F&W, etc., possibly add'l. rental fees tacked on. lol If there's something I've heard repeatedly over my career it's "We don't do business in the 5 boroughs of NYC!" LOL I gave up too. 'Lotta payola tacked on top. Too much BS.) It was no big deal waiting, but the bill kept creeping up. More time to pay! I've heard fantastic things about the main brokerage in ATL (from the tannery I use nearby.) But you're correct: In essence, it's far cheaper to hunt as much as you can on 1 trip and thus reduce the number of trips required. By this I don't mean 1 and done...I've regretfully passed up on the most amazing trophies (I should have taken) whilst focused on the main species. Targets of opportunity must be taken. Fantastic red riverine hog (bush pig) sleeping on a rock in the shade next to a river in Zim (30 yds), but I wanted to get my Buff...which didn't occur for another 3 days. LOL SMH now!

Isn't F&F the only game in town in NY? I've used 'em and yes shipments w/ buffalo, primates and pigs have been slow to receive (anywhere from weeks to months, depending up their level of business, Customs, USDA F&W, etc., possibly add'l. rental fees tacked on. lol If there's something I've heard repeatedly over my career it's "We don't do business in the 5 boroughs of NYC!" LOL I gave up too. 'Lotta payola tacked on top. Too much BS.) It was no big deal waiting, but the bill kept creeping up. More time to pay! I've heard fantastic things about the main brokerage in ATL (from the tannery I use nearby.)
There are several. Coppersmiths, Genus, probably a few more.

Monkey’s and baboons…..the importation adds another 5 months to the process
I had a baboon and a warthog in my last shipment and it only took a couple more days.

One of the NYC inspectors called my shipment "Racist," so it was delayed! :ROFLMAO:

Many, many regulations/policies/guidance require that Only certain people can inspect, transport or handle X, Y, Z (it's no different in my industry, proposed by a lobby to make us $, when some facets could clearly be handled by any trained person.) I've had to have Taxidermists and Tanneries write a letter explaining that I'll be the courier from the Customs Brokerage directly to the Tannery, not stopping for air, water or nature's calling. :p And would you believe, no COVID or Anthrax began as a result! IF ONLY they clamped down on the important "importations!!!" How 'bout that lab in CA? LOL The State is run by their brethren, who consequently are the same people poaching the black bear (was it 750 in LA county alone one year?) for "medicinal purpo$e$!" ;) Stick to your guns. Don't accept that BS there, Africa or anywhere!!

Last edited:
I'm not saying you don't have a story that fits your response, but I help clear 3-4 safaris per year and I have never witnessed either of these holding up importation for an ADDITIONAL 5 months. If at all, maybe a few weeks.
TX is a LOT more Hunting-friendly (and the weather unforgiving for storage) than NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x10e23 There are prob 5x the people on the payroll in NY, so it takes longer. LOL I've had brokerages call me and say (month or more after delivery) we got another charge from the <pick your fav> agency and we'll send you (Another) bill for payment. Prob. BS. God Bless TX!

Isn't F&F the only game in town in NY? I've used 'em and yes shipments w/ buffalo, primates and pigs have been slow to receive (anywhere from weeks to months, depending up their level of business, Customs, USDA F&W, etc., possibly add'l. rental fees tacked on. lol If there's something I've heard repeatedly over my career it's "We don't do business in the 5 boroughs of NYC!" LOL I gave up too. 'Lotta payola tacked on top. Too much BS.) It was no big deal waiting, but the bill kept creeping up. More time to pay! I've heard fantastic things about the main brokerage in ATL (from the tannery I use nearby.) But you're correct: In essence, it's far cheaper to hunt as much as you can on 1 trip and thus reduce the number of trips required. By this I don't mean 1 and done...I've regretfully passed up on the most amazing trophies (I should have taken) whilst focused on the main species. Targets of opportunity must be taken. Fantastic red riverine hog (bush pig) sleeping on a rock in the shade next to a river in Zim (30 yds), but I wanted to get my Buff...which didn't occur for another 3 days. LOL SMH now!
I'm not sure I've heard of F&F but I'm using Zingela to ship and Coppersmiths to clear it, I've contacted a couple people who used them recently and they sounded as good as any. My guy in NY says he has his own warehouse so he can pick the crate up from JFK as soon as it lands and have usda or whoever look at it to avoid the airport storage fees. Hopefully his storage fees are less hahaha. Jesus Christ you passed on a red hog in Zim?!?! At 30 yards!?!? In the daytime!?!? Sorry, had to bust your balls hahaha.

I'm not sure I've heard of F&F but I'm using Zingela to ship and Coppersmiths to clear it, I've contacted a couple people who used them recently and they sounded as good as any. My guy in NY says he has his own warehouse so he can pick the crate up from JFK as soon as it lands and have usda or whoever look at it to avoid the airport storage fees. Hopefully his storage fees are less hahaha. Jesus Christ you passed on a red hog in Zim?!?! At 30 yards!?!? In the daytime!?!? Sorry, had to bust your balls hahaha.
it might have been 10 (30 ft). the PH's look was PRICELESS. I think I ruined HIS day! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.