Where to move to?

As some of you might know, I like in the UK. I farm and undertake some property management and valuation work.

Since the last election here, we have endured a daily assault on farming. We now have 20% inheritance tax on farmland, all subsidies and environmental grants removed and face a tax on artificial fertilisers which will cost us £20 per acre each year from next year.

We are also about to see compulsory purchase rules changing to allow the government to forcibly purchase land for nature schemes or under some circumstances to sell on to developers, so the profit goes to the local authority, not the landowner.

We now have 20%tax on school fees from the start of this year.

On top of that it was announced today that the ownership of firearms will be reviewed to seriously tighten up the system and there will be further hunting bans.

I am at the end the first day of a two day conference and the message today was that things won’t get better and to plan for methane and carbon taxes in the next year and possible annual taxes on the value of land. One MP yesterday suggested that all farms over 1,000 acres should pay an annual 2% tax on land value. It seems unlikely though.

My boss sat all of under 50 down and told us that we should all seriously consider emigrating. He told us that two people in our office are moving to Australia this year and we should all consider doing the same.

I have a lot of friends who are actively looking to leave the country now, seemingly mainly to New Zealand.

My wife and I have family in Australia, New Zealand, Kenya and Zimbabwe. We are seriously thinking about selling up and moving to somewhere our children can have a better childhood and a better future.

Anyone have any thoughts on Australia or New Zealand? We both love Namibia but I think making a living there would be very difficult.

I understand the Northern Territory of Australia offers residents free water buffalo hunting and would be similar to Africa but safer to invest capital, but I suspect finding work could be difficult.

We are planning to visit family in Australia and New Zealand in a few months to do some research, but I would be grateful for any suggestions. My cousin in New Zealand loves it there but he said that he would think carefully about moving there as he gets some really severe weather.

Family in Australia have told me to look at Queensland and NT, if we want a rural life with like minded people. Family in New Zealand have said the northern half of the South Island is the best place to look.
It sounds like Oregon as a Farmer here we are held hostage by our State Government, most of the land mass of Oregon voted Trump and the leftists that run our State know that, Good luck on finding the Freeist and most Liberty focused place.
 
Here’s my case for considering the state of Missouri as your new home.

1. In 2024, Missouri’s cost of living index was the 6th lowest in the US, tied with Arkansas.
2. Missouri’s state tax revenue per capita is ranked 45 out of the 50 states. The state income tax, which is the largest component of total tax, has a top rate of 4.95%, which is in the lower half of all states.
3. Missouri is a Constitutional Carry State, which means citizens having no disqualifiers (for example a felony conviction) can carry concealed or unconcealed.
4. Missouri is a significant agricultural state, ranking 2nd in the US for the number of farms and consistently in the top 10 for several key agricultural categories.

I think if you settle well outside the St. Louis and Kansas City areas, you’ll find Missouri a great place to live and Missourians to be friendly and respectful.
 
Alaska is the choice I made many years ago.

My knowledge of our state's agriculture is limited but it does exist here, and is quite strong, if more limited than some places.

The rest? Absolutely what you are looking for. We have more personal freedoms than anywhere I have ever lived. And Alaska can be a goldmine for finding good jobs for anyone with any kind of work ethic and any level of education or experience. I would argue those few things can carry you further than anywhere I have ever seen.

Are there trade-offs? Sure. Some don't care for the winters but I would argue the winters offer even more opportunity for outdoor minded people.

I think Alaska is worth considering. It sure has a LOT of what you are wanting to leave the UK for.
Agreed about AK!

Not a bad office location either ;)

Dillingham .png
 
I have not been to too many countries around the world but I like Ottawa ,Canada .
 
Not everywhere is right for everyone's taste and situation. I feel very lucky in that I do have a "bug out" place to move to and spend time there with other part of family every year. Both older rug rats are in college here in US so I need to stay close most of the time. My wife and youngest 3 yo stray rug rat are there. Biggest downside is it's a long trip, about as far from SW US as one can get.

Small, comfortable house where arrow points and a couple of small farms about 5-10 miles upland from there. But such places/arrangements may not be for everyone?

0-2 copy.jpg

0-46.jpeg
 
If European countries don't start making some changes, the next mass migration will be out of Europe.
You would think there would be a revolution against the leftist governments, but then, that's why they always try to disarm you first. Is EU going to just cave to these problems without a fight? What does UK think they are going to eat without farmers??!!
 
Here’s my case for considering the state of Missouri as your new home.

1. In 2024, Missouri’s cost of living index was the 6th lowest in the US, tied with Arkansas.
2. Missouri’s state tax revenue per capita is ranked 45 out of the 50 states. The state income tax, which is the largest component of total tax, has a top rate of 4.95%, which is in the lower half of all states.
3. Missouri is a Constitutional Carry State, which means citizens having no disqualifiers (for example a felony conviction) can carry concealed or unconcealed.
4. Missouri is a significant agricultural state, ranking 2nd in the US for the number of farms and consistently in the top 10 for several key agricultural categories.

I think if you settle well outside the St. Louis and Kansas City areas, you’ll find Missouri a great place to live and Missourians to be friendly and respectful.
The bottom line is while the US is far from perfect it is by far the best country to live in based on taxes, firearms, land/home values and hunting
 
Come visit the US. This is a very large and diverse country with something/someplace I’m sure you would like. Visit different areas, talk to the people (yes we are very friendly) and I’m sure you will find a place you will like. Since we are one country you can always pick up and move to another area, city or state with little trouble.
 
Stay where you are mate (y) We’ve already got too many bloody poms here in Australia ;):ROFLMAO:

But seriously….the commonwealth countries have gone mad of late when it comes to oppressive restrictions on firearms. I’m a Queenslander born and bred and I can hardly recognise the state of my birth these days.

But, in saying that we have a great lifestyle and a high standard of living.

If I was going to move home…. I’d only do it for the hunting. Everything else is fine…despite the high taxes and lunacy of the left.

So for the hunting. The state of Victoria in Australia is the best. Closely followed by the NT. NZ is a hunting paradise….if you’re fit. But their economy is not as strong as Australia’s.

However, as I said before stay where you are. We’ve got too many bloody immigrants…including whinging poms .


And one final thing to remember..“ The other man’s grass is always greener…until you have to walk on it.”
 
Last edited:
America, definitely.

There is an old song, "Davy Crockett" that says Tennessee is the greenest state in the "Land of the Free."

The weather is mild, there is low taxation (no state income tax), and low property taxes, and low state tax on fuel, compared to many states.

Wyoming and Tennessee are, probably, the most "right-wing" states in the U.S.

I love Wyoming, but the winters can be bitterly cold.


Central or Eastern Tennessee is a great place to relocate.
 
Possibly explore argentina, combine farming ranching hunting,
Assuming we ignore potential language barrier, Uruguay is the better option from a tax perspective. Paraguay is even better as they only tax local income, top marginal rate is 10%, and land is still super inexpensive. But that’s also going to be a culture shock and a half. Paraguay does have basically the world’s easiest residency program so there’s that. The downside is it’s a landlocked country with little transportation infrastructure.

Truth is most English-speaking countries have been marching in tune with one another for quite some time now.

Isn't Argentina a communist country? I could be wrong. Geography was not my wheelhouse.

The current president is a libertarian, but Peronism still very much exists. Argentina was the fifth richest country on earth in 1900. Socialism is a hell of a drug.
 
Oklahoma is great as well, I just don't know anyone who hunts or lives there....
 
The UK will come back again.

But if you are ready for a really big change try Zimbabwe. It is a country at peace with itself and happy.
 
It seems that the UK is destined to repeat history. They had a massive brain drain in the late seventies for very similar issues with a Labor government.

Also tax in the early 1960s....My father sold his companies in England in I think 1961 ....and left mainland UK...I was 2 1/2 years old ....he was working his ass off and being taxed 19 shillings in the pound..(20 shillings to a pound )......he had quite a big sand and gravel company and another road haulage company in partnership with a friend.....contracts with British steel and British coal ....he as you can imagine got fed up with the tax situation along with quite a few other UK business people who left....ones you would have thought the labour government would have wanted to keep......a girl I went out with similar thing with her father...but maybe couple years after my dad moved....she was very young, but her fathers accountants got hold of him and said you basically have to get out of the UK before I think it was something ridiculous like by midnight the next day, as the government announced they were going to hit top tax payers with a 100% plus tax that year....she said packed up left and never returned to that house....
 
  • Angry
Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,392
Members
169,553
Latest member
LeeBennet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top