Where does this bayonet belong

Jörg Krüger

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Hi all. I recently got this bayonet. It was in a rough state and I refurbished it to what I think is nice. Might of been a wrong decision to do, but the leather scabbard came out real nice. Sorry that I don't have before fotos of the actual bayonet. But to what rifle does this belong to? Most probably a 303 but which one and approx age?
IMG-20220511-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220525-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220525-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220525-WA0005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not @Von Gruff but my guess is British Pattern M1888 Mk1, 2nd type, Lee Metford :)
Would have been used Boer War and WWI

Last edited:
Interesting. How did you clean it up? Thanks. Your friend, Brian

The pics are much clearer in Ian Skennertons Small Arms Identification serier books
20220526_085847.jpg

The number and location of the grip/handle rivets with rivets grouped closer to blade and location of the oil hole near edge of rear rivet are fairly diagnostic for a MK1, 2nd type.

excerpt from arms to armor bayonet ID reference

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 10.05.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. Being that I am in South Africa, I would assume this to be a Boer War bayonet. Did I do the wrong thing of cleaning it up?

The arrow in U is the propery mark for Union Defence Force, South African.
So after 1910, likely WW1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportxyz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.