What's the best and worst African tasting game meat?

Kudu liver is awesome, fresh on the coals, kidneys, thinly sliced fried in garlic butter with onions and mushrooms. Brains, spread thinly on toast, ground black pepper on top. I'm giving all my recipes away!
I can do the brains, maybe the liver at a push. But not the kidneys!! First ever taste was on one of my first hunts and I was convinced by my ever so caring and thoughtful father that tasting the kidneys the way the game scouts prepared them was best!!! No f****ing chance!! They had been drying and cooking over a smokey fire for ages and were terrible!! Never been able to eat kidney since then. Well, not without reaching anyway!

Bushpig , Wildebeest and Eland are good , Waterbuck can be great if skinned and butchered right , Elephant and Buffalo make fantastic biltong. Hippo mixed with some pork makes the best sausage .
I never touch common duiker meat . They are reputed to have tender meat. I guess when an animal eats everything including human excrement , it will have tender meat...:confused:lol
All the spiral horns seem to be good.
The very best is BEEF ;)
Interesting thread though. To hear different peoples experiences . Good thing we don't all like the same thing.

I guess I must have pretty pedestrian taste buds, but brains on toast sounds just disgusting!:sick::rolleyes:

Kudu liver is awesome, fresh on the coals, kidneys, thinly sliced fried in garlic butter with onions and mushrooms. Brains, spread thinly on toast, ground black pepper on top. I'm giving all my recipes away!

Warren I'd give the brains on toast a try. It was the texture I didn't like. The crunchiness of the toast might overcome that!

The liver was indeed fresh on the coals by Lammie. Can taste it now....

I have always stayed away from hunting predators because the meat is inedible. I've only hunted in the states but I don't know anyone who eats coyote, fox, mountain lion etc. the only exception would be bear. I have been lead to believe big cats are inedible, is this false? I thought you could not eat lion/leopard/cheetah etc.

Greeting Erich,
During my last visit to Zimbabwe, the camp staff served (at our request) leopard on a couple of occasions. Whenever my friends discover that we ate leopard, they always ask "Well, did it taste like chicken?" I usually respond "No, it didn't taste like chicken. Actually, it was much better than chicken". The leopard was served as hors d'oeuvres and was very delicious (better tasting than chicken - IMO).
Cheers!

Eeeeuuuuuu!! Gross! LOL! Sounds offal!!
You dont know what you are missing !!
Fresh liver and kidneys are awesome , roast stuffed heart is a real treat .
Enjoy !

You can have my share of the awful offal.:ROFLMAO::rolleyes::LOL:o_O

You can have my share of the awful offal.:ROFLMAO::rolleyes::LOL:o_O
My father was a butcher after the war .
He used to bring home sweet breads , lambs fry ( liver ) hearts , kidneys , tripe , and other wonderfull bits of offal for mum to cook for us kids .
I have had a love affair with it ever since .
Even at resturants I will look for animal organs and offal on the menu .
I was never offered any in Africa as the workers took everything home and we only ate the meat .
Shame , maybe next time if I drop a hint .

My father was a butcher after the war .
He used to bring home sweet breads , lambs fry ( liver ) hearts , kidneys , tripe , and other wonderfull bits of offal for mum to cook for us kids .
I have had a love affair with it ever since .
Even at resturants I will look for animal organs and offal on the menu .
I was never offered any in Africa as the workers took everything home and we only ate the meat .
Shame , maybe next time if I drop a hint .
Tripe and trotters (kop en pooitjies) still popular in South Africa, we have the annual Kirkwood Game Festival, they have a stall dedicated to curry offal

Tripe and trotters (kop en pooitjies) still popular in South Africa, we have the annual Kirkwood Game Festival, they have a stall dedicated to curry offal
Shit that sounds good !!
WE have a wild food festival here in the south island of NZ .
maggets, worms , grubs and other things that sound like shit .
It is really popular .
I might have to come to the eastern cape to taste some real fOOD .

Don't folks eat the marrow out of bones, same thing, just rich. Steak and kidney Pie?

Rarely if ever over here, at least in my experience. Kiver and eart are usually about it, and tripe.

I'm not a big fan of organ meat or brains, I think I'll have to pass.:) I'm glad people like it, I have had some earlier in life and lets say memories of bad cooking are still there:ROFLMAO:

I tried heart in Asia....ya, not a fan :ROFLMAO:

I love heart. Probably the best part of any critter. I just prefer to steer clear of the plumbing parts.

Marula worms; nothing to write home about! They're an acceptable excuse to cleanse the palate with a Castle or Windhoek.
PIC_0044.JPG

Shit that sounds good !!
WE have a wild food festival here in the south island of NZ .
maggets, worms , grubs and other things that sound like shit .
It is really popular .
I might have to come to the eastern cape to taste some real fOOD .
Dory, If you ever visit Taupo in north island, visit Camellia Court motel and ask to speak to Leon Harrald. Tell him Warren sent you and ask what is off the menu.

Don't folks eat the marrow out of bones, same thing, just rich. Steak and kidney Pie?

about marrow bones....when we were at sci PR went to the cosmopolitan hotel buffet with some friends and then dragged me there on the monday before we flew out...now the reason why i got dragged there was she wanted the roast marrow bones ....now if you want to see someone eat plates of those volunteer to go with her next sci.......she was pushing empty plates in my direction to make it look like she wasnt eating them all o_O....and cant beat a good steak and kidney pie or lambs kidneys done in mustard sauce, or liver with onions , mash and gravy........:D Beers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg