Whats in the Box?

Very nice trophies, congrats!!!

So I finally got home one the weekend to visit my parents. The only mount left that hadn’t made its way to their cabin yet was my kudu, and I have to say I wasn’t overly impressed. Am I out to lunch to expect better?

E8CB23C2-07FC-4487-8C03-A3CE0D57C4D4.jpeg
B03C54FC-5D25-4C31-8809-73107F801473.jpeg

BF7A34C2-7D3C-4882-83D5-2BB17802B8C5.jpeg
2F1700CF-FC6C-4D59-BEDA-C567752E565B.jpeg

8006203F-F897-440D-8B04-A6C3574FCD7C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is sad! Sorry to see that. Welcome to my world, something very similar happened to me with Highveld Taxidermy. After looking here, it seems like it is a hit or miss with taxidermist in Africa. I've seen lots of mediocre work like that. If and when I go back, I'll have my trophies done here in the US, where at least I have a fighting chance.

Here is an example of what I was dealing with.

photo 1-1.jpg

@Aaron Nietfeld ,

Sorry about that. In my experience its about 50/50 with getting work done over there. I did the first time but will never have it done again over there

It's really too bad because he has a pretty decent reputation on here. I sent Paul pictures and he wants to look into who did the work. But I'm not here to fire up the debate of African work vs. North America.

Well I agree with para45. My first trip to SA I had my one shoulder mount done there and it was a mess turned the wrong way, hair slip in spots the fill falling off after a year, and the worst thing the ears are blown up like a balloon don’t indent at all.
Said I would have all my work done in the states.
Dennis on here has/is doing my trophies now from SA and New Zealand.
Tom

Not sure about the bald patches.
Anything from unnoticed injury to skinning, to thinning to tanning.

Not sure if they are covering stitching or poor fitting.
It is not what I'd expect.

Looks like where the cross brace for crate rubbed. I had 2 from first trip that had that happen.

You can't expect first world quality at third world prices!

Just curious, what's going on with the horns, the bases look odd to me?

Just curious, what's going on with the horns, the bases look odd to me?
The horns are removed, that's just whats underneath

You can't expect first world quality at third world prices!

I wasn't expecting show quality. The taxidermist has a pretty decent reputation on here from members who have used him. I have also seen some of his work and it looked good enough for me.

This topic comes up again and again with people not satisfied with African work and are disappointed in the results.

I wasn't expecting show quality. The taxidermist has a pretty decent reputation on here from members who have used him. I have also seen some of his work and it looked good enough for me.
Show quality is also different here in the states from good quality commercial work. One thing you can't see until years down the road is the longevity of the tan. It will be interesting when you see the rest of your shipment and see how it is.

I unfortunately had the same problems you have. Had to bring in my Nyala to a local taxidermist to fix the exposed stiching. I also found a bald spot on my lechwe. And I also used Relieve taxidermy on recommendations from a fellow AH member. I’ve expressed my displeasure with their work here on AH. I can’t recommend them and I doubt you can. No excuse for work leaving that way.

Wow, that is sad! Sorry to see that. Welcome to my world, something very similar happened to me with Highveld Taxidermy. After looking here, it seems like it is a hit or miss with taxidermist in Africa. I've seen lots of mediocre work like that. If and when I go back, I'll have my trophies done here in the US, where at least I have a fighting chance.

Here is an example of what I was dealing with.

View attachment 207268
That’s awful. Sorry.

With no disrespect to Africa Taxidermie..... I’d say that’s about “average” for their standards. You’ll get better/worse. After my last trip/Taxidermie.... which was done by a primo outfit over there. I’ll pay what little difference there is to have done here by artist like @gizmo.

It's really too bad because he has a pretty decent reputation on here. I sent Paul pictures and he wants to look into who did the work. But I'm not here to fire up the debate of African work vs. North America.
He told me the same thing. Never resolved it other than telling me to have it fixed and he would reimburse me. Seems to be a continuing pattern of poor quality.

I think this is standard for the places in SA a person starts a place and as he gets more customers he keeps taking in work and like said above he had no clue who did your defiantly not him. He talks to the people that come in the shop and just walks around once in a while to see if his help is staying on quota.
I will have my work done in the states.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg