What will be the follow on Vehicle now that Toyota Land-cruiser is no longer in production.

rblum

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Korea, Canada, South Africa, Alaska
I am curious as to what PH’s and outfitters see as the replacement for the Land Cruiser 4x4. It was built like a tank. What now?

They aren't stopping the 70-series - only the high-end versions as far as I know.

How on earth could they stop the 70 series- half the rugged world runs on those things.

Tell me they aren't killing off the best 4x4s on the planet....

I sort of like this, but it doesn't replace the 70 series Troupy for load carrying, ruggedness, reliability and utility

It is expensive, and I'm not keen on automatics generally

I love little SWB Landy's, they can go anywhere, but they don't have the carrying capacity. The Later Land Rovers are just too soft. The 70 series Land Cruiser is almost indestructable, is excellent at what it does and it is exactly right for safari work. It will be very hard to replace if indeed Toyota are stupid enough to discontinue it.

Already a lot of PHs use the Hilux, also made by Toyota.
I have been on two safaris (Limpopo and Zimbabwe) where the PH was using one.
While it certainly does not have the "tank" feeling of the Land Cruiser (I have been on several safaris where the PH was using one), I have been very impressed by the Hilux 4x4 capabilities, whether on rocky steep inclines, or bottomless soft sand tracks. Like the Land Cruiser, it has a high torque diesel engine and its low speed "hunting" gear is the third gear, with second being used as a first, and first being only used in rough spots.
Its suspension is reputed for being more comfortable in the long run. I could not really tell myself because we were on dirt tracks most of the time, but I understand that this is appreciated by PHs who use it, including on blacktop roads, 365 days per year...
The rather general comment in Africa is that the Hilux is 95% of the Land Cruiser for 50% of the price...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.26 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.31 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.36 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.08.39 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
I am curious as to what PH’s and outfitters see as the replacement for the Land Cruiser 4x4. It was built like a tank. What now?
A lot of the new PHs are using Toyota HiLux nowadays anyway.

It takes a lot of
Mods to get a Hilux up to Landcruiser capability. It is more comfortable to be sure, but that comes at a price in the bush.

It takes a lot of
Mods to get a Hilux up to Landcruiser capability. It is more comfortable to be sure, but that comes at a price in the bush.
My PH at Zambezi valley had a HiLux. His mods other than the standard mods like seats in the back, armor etc. were a lift kit and tires. Now, the granny on the Landcruiser is better geared but we really did not have any problems in the bush and some of those dirt roads and spring crossings were really bad.

I was so impressed with the HiLux that I ordered a HiLux 4x4 Invincible A/T to use when I am at a property overseas. Having sold a Land Cruiser that was falling apart.

I wonder how the new Ineos Grenadier will fare in the future...
1632082588632.png

They aren't stopping the 70-series - only the high-end versions as far as I know.

How on earth could they stop the 70 series- half the rugged world runs on those things.

Tell me they aren't killing off the best 4x4s on the planet....
@baxterb
No they aren't killing of the best 4x4 on the planet mate. NISSAN IS STILL MAKING THE PATROL SO THE BEST WILL LIVE ON, don't know about the Toyota tho.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I have owned a 2004 Hilux 4x4 since new. A great vehicle for my needs. Just love it. However I'm under no illusion about how it compares with the Landcruiser. The Landcruiser is much stronger in critical items such as suspension etc. Only an issue if your needs include constant ultra rough terrain and punishment. Much of the outback mining industry used to purchase fleets of Hiluxs to save on purchase cost. Many have since moved onto buying Landcruiser because while more expensive to buy, they last longer under punishing conditions. Most of us will never subject or vehicles to that sort treatment and for us the Hilux is ideal.

My PH at Zambezi valley had a HiLux. His mods other than the standard mods like seats in the back, armor etc. were a lift kit and tires. Now, the granny on the Landcruiser is better geared but we really did not have any problems in the bush and some of those dirt roads and spring crossings were really bad.

I was so impressed with the HiLux that I ordered a HiLux 4x4 Invincible A/T to use when I am at a property overseas. Having sold a Land Cruiser that was falling apart.

Did it have odd yellow hash marks on the sides? If so that was Myles’ rig. I won’t say what they call it on an open forum, but He’s taken no end of grief for trading his landcruiser in on it.

Did it have odd yellow hash marks on the sides? If so that was Myles’ rig. I won’t say what they call it on an open forum, but He’s taken no end of grief for trading his landcruiser in on it.
No, it was Keith that I hunted with. However, Dean and Garret (part-time) also have HiLux as their vehicles in addition to Myles. Buzz uses a HiLux for in town driving rig and still has a Land Cruiser for hunting.

Saw this rig in Mozambique 3 weeks ago.

Best 4x4 in the world with a brand spanking new set of the worst tires money can buy.

Apparently, whoever is in charge of procurement with the World Food Programme knows vehicles, but nothing about tires.

1632097871114.jpeg

Already a lot of PHs use the Hilux, also made by Toyota.
I have been on two safaris (Limpopo and Zimbabwe) where the PH was using one.
While it certainly does not have the "tank" feeling of the Land Cruiser (I have been on several safaris where the PH was using one), I have been very impressed by the Hilux 4x4 capabilities, whether on rocky steep inclines, or bottomless soft sand tracks. Like the Land Cruiser, it has a high torque diesel engine and its low speed "hunting" gear is the third gear, with second being used as a first, and first being only used in rough spots.
Its suspension is reputed for being more comfortable in the long run. I could not really tell myself because we were on dirt tracks most of the time, but I understand that this is appreciated by PHs who use it, including on blacktop roads, 365 days per year...
The rather general comment in Africa is that the Hilux is 95% of the Land Cruiser for 50% of the price...
I'm gonna leave this here.

If this doesn't show the hilux is a beast, I don't know what does.

To each his own, but I think a Patrol (Nissan Armada in the USA, and also sold as an Infinity QX80 here) is nowhere as rugged as a Series 70 Landcruiser.

With that being said, the USA sold Landcruiser (Toyota FJ-300 and Lexus LX 570), IMO, is ridiculous.
A $90-100K truck with all-leather, real wood, super-duper sound system, luxurious carpet, etc. is exactly what we do not need.

The US market needs something that competes with a Jeep Wrangler, but doesn't breakdown under serious usage. A REAL rugged Utility vehicle.

Our only options now are various pickup trucks (Dodge Ram 1500's, Ford F150's, Chevrolet Silverado's, Toyota Tacoma's & Tundra's, and Nissan Frontiers and Titan)

It seems like we all just buy F150's and hope for the best.

A Series 70 would be perfect.

Nearly everyone here thinks that the Toyota Tacoma is the most serious 4x4 that we have.

The new Ford Bronco may have promise, but the "sport" version that is available now is a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg