Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA,Canada,South Africa, Namibia
I'm headed back to Africa in 2013 for my 4th safari and want to do some night hunting in South Africa for Genet, Civet, African wildcat etc... I have a new .17hmr and am trying to decide what scope would be appropriate. I like the new leupold vx-r 2-7x33 with the illuminated fire duplex reticle. What are your thoughts about this caliber and scope for the smaller night cats and possibly a klipspringer? I assume we will be using a spotlight so will the lighted reticle be needed?

Alaska Hunter the .17hmr should work good for your smaller cats but I'm a little concerned about the scope what I've seen they use red or green color spot lights and the 33mm lense may not take in enough light. I've spent a many of night in germany hunting pig the bigger your lense the better for night hunting we used 56mm and the light of the moon was enough to hunt by.

Agree with Bob, the larger objective lens may look funny on such a small rifle, but they would work better (I think) for you intended use. Used a 50mm Objective on a 22mag for coyote for years, worked really good in low light conditions.

I guess I'll disagree, where a big scope should work awesome. The smaller one should work fine too. If the animal is lighted up you should be able to see it in a scope. Caliber should be fine. I really like shotgun though, tends to leave the animal is better condition, if you are having it tanned or mounted.

I agree with enysse.
If you are going to use strong spotlight, you don't need a large objective.
But it will be very good to have a lighted reticle/dot.

I am a big fan of European made high end scopes(Zeiss and Swarovski) for low light hunting conditions, but I don't see that is needed if you use a strong spotlight.
But if the light is weak, a scope like this will help a lot.

Zeiss Conquest ( I know, its their "lower end" line) has a Duralyte model that is getting great press and apparently is better engineered than plain conquest line. I just ordered a 2-8x42 w/illum. reticle, its a short scope so would be fine on smaller rifles...

Zeiss Conquest ( I know, its their "lower end" line) has a Duralyte model that is getting great press and apparently is better engineered than plain conquest line. I just ordered a 2-8x42 w/illum. reticle, its a short scope so would be fine on smaller rifles...

Just want to correct you on this:)

The Duralyt line is not a part of the Conquest line at all.
The Duralyts are much better than the Conquests. The Duralyts are made in the German Zeiss factory and have much better quality lenses and lens treatment than the Conquests and in general much better quality.
I have been using Conquest scopes, old German Zeiss Classic scopes, new Zeiss Victory scopes and Zeiss Duralyt scopes.

The Victory scopes are the expensive top end high quality scopes and are extremely good scopes. Specially in low light conditions.
I rate the Classic and the Duralyt to be very similar in quality with the Duralyt maybe a tad better, specially if you want a illum reticle/dot.
The Conquest is not even close to the other models in my opinion.

I recommend anyone asking me when it comes to buying a new scope, to buy a Duralyt unless you want/need something that can take a shitload of damage.
If you want that, buy a Leupold.
If you want maximum performance in low light condition, buy a 56mm or a 72mm Zeiss Victory.

The Duralyt line is extremely much scope for the money in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross