What Rifle should I get for RSA Plains Game Hunt?

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Personally, I have used a .338 WM on all my plainsgame, with much satisfaction, I might say.
However, a hunting companion used a .270 with excellent results, except with a Zebra, they are tough, and shot placement must be perfect.
I also would have my doubts about shooting an Eland with a .270, in the Limpopo, they can be very heavy

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have always liked a long barrel, but you can go down to 22", if you want to. The most important things is that the gun fits you, so you can hold it steady. Gun fit will be everything. For me, a long barrel is easier to hold steady and aim.
Good points. What I like about adding the .270 Win to the list is that it opens up many more options for rifles. I really want a new Winchester and they chamber just about every model they produce for the .270 Win (obviously!). This means I can not only look at the Featherweight and Extreme Weather, but the longer, heavier Sporter and Super Grade, as well.

I'm kind of unique in that I am an avid bird hunter and am used to quickly pointig and swinging a very light (just a touch over 6 lbs) 12-bore for quail and the like, which makes me very comfortable with snap-shooting and acquiring targets quickly. However, in the past I've done much better shooting a rifle from field positions when I've had a slightly heavier, longer gun. I use to run different rifles for different things (a 20" BLR for the woods, a 24" Weatherby Vanguard VGX for open country). Now I'm just wondering if I may need to split the difference for a one rifle trip or if longer and heavier will still prevail.

I've already decided that if the Featherweight fits me best that I'll probably get that in 7mm-08. It's a fairly light rifle and that cartridge loaded with 120 TSX should be a pleasure to shoot. the other three models are heavier and the .308 or .270 should be fine for me at their higher weights...especially the Super Grade!

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have carried a .270 on one safari to RSA.

It knocked over 2 zebra, wildebeest, kudu, impala, warthog, gemsbok and a few others with one bullet. My shot was a bit off on an eland so we had to do a bit of tracking.

I used 150gr bullets on everything. No doubt you can put a muzzle brake on one of these rather light rifles and make them kick like a rimfire!
That's excellent shooting, schembridan. thanks for sharing your experience...it makes me more confident that a .270 will get the job done.

I think when I go back to Africa for eland and other game, I would have a 9.3x62 by that time and would take it and the .270/7mm-08/.308, using the lighter rifle once the eland was taken.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I have 7mm Rem Mag in a Win Super Grade and it's my favorite rifle. It's a handsome gun and a tight shooter. Would buy another one in a heartbeat!

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have 7mm Rem Mag in a Win Super Grade and it's my favorite rifle. It's a handsome gun and a tight shooter. Would buy another one in a heartbeat!
Does that happen to be a newer model made in FN's South Carolina facility?

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Update: it will definitely be a new Winchester Model 70 and the cartridge has been narrowed down to the .270 Win or the .308 Win. I figure I should get the increased range or the bigger hole.

Frederik

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
The difference in hole size .30 or 270 is not really that big that the animal will "Oh Damn a .30 Caliber bullet I must die reaaly fast!"

150gr out of a 270 or 308 should have more or less the same energy.
I like the 308 very much but if you are looking at the rifle to be your first all rounder I would go 270.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Does that happen to be a newer model made in FN's South Carolina facility?

No, it's from the Conn. factory I bought a few years back, just before they moved operations to South Carolina.

I think the Winchestor quality is still good!

I would go with the 308, it is so versitile. I love the 270 Win....I have 3, in various forms but it's no 308. I think the 308 would make a good all round gun for North America and Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaotiancang2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rob404 wrote on Newboomer's profile.
I,d like to buy some pistol primers if they available,thanks
Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!