What makes hunting Eland special?

Maybe one of the meaningful hunts of my life. I screwed up my first shot (grazed his leg as he turned) at the end of shooting light. We tracked him by flashlight until I couldn't stand up, got a couple of hours sleep and started again before dawn. We spent a long long day tracking him (Bushman trackers) in the Kalahari heat.

I knew the wound wasn't fatal, or even serious, but that didn't make any difference to me -- I pulled the trigger; on me to finish it. The bull was old and smart and canny, but the Bushman are nothing short of amazing.

Hard to explain...that hunt turned me from a guy who hunts into a hunter...sounds like bulls#%t, but still true. The old bull's horns hang in a place of honor in my home.

Michael B

They are the hardest plains animal to hunt, and the most commonly missing species at the end of a multi-species safari.
They are so wary that they make white-tail bucks look like drunken college freshman staggering home from a Friday night keg party.
And if you do get into position, they are still tough to bring down.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.