What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

Thanks for the input, I spoke with my PHs and they understand my desires, as long as I stay down near the rear quarters they have no issues with a "little" help. Can't go anywhere near the cape.

Going on the first trip as a honeymoon trip with my bride to be, so the hunt will concentrate on her, I am trying to get a golden wildebeest. The second trip is the big one, kudu, land, zebra, blue wildebeest, orxy, impala, and a Sable. Just ordered a 300 win mag yesterday for that trip.
I got a beautiful golden wildebeest with Tsala and had it made into a beautiful rug at my farm

Another reason to carry a knife on safari. And it's better if the blade is damascus.

IMG_0941.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
All I've taken with me to Africa is the Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter. Small enough to fit in a pocket, or a possibles belt pouch (I don't wear any fixed blade knife on a belt), this little knife hits way above it's weight class. This link is for the new manufacture. I prefer the older manufacture that had a slightly shorter handle. I've used my mini hunter to gut and skin up to 4 deer/pronghorn without needing sharpening.

If you want a larger knife:

Attachments

• PENDLETON HUNTER 10A | Cold Steel Knives.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • PENDLETON MINI HUNTER | Cold Steel Knives.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Another reason to carry a knife on safari. And it's better if the blade is damascus.
I should have added two things:

1. The watermelon cost about 25 cents and was bought off a farmer in Ethiopia; and

2. The knife was made by a former member of this community . . . and the handle is New Zealand swamp kauri (which unfortunately you can't see).

That is a beautiful knife. What length blade?

You claim it is a watermelon, but it looks like half a duiker… well, maybe I need to zoom in more.

Swiss army Jeager

I wouldn't have been able to honor this long-standing tradition using my
Land Cruiser key . . .

IMG_3298-R.jpg

IMO and IME, a hunter needs to carry a pocket knife AND a sheath knife or a least a fairly large folding hunting knife.

The bush is not "Disneyland" or "Animal Kingdom".

Things can, and do happen, even if rarely... even in RSA, on ranches.

I've had to kill two animals with a knife in the good 'ole U.S. of A, when things got bad quickly and there was no time to get a rifle.

You won't need to field dress an animal (although every hunter should know how), but you could encounter a situation where you might need to defend yourself or assist your PH in dispatching an animal.

If a leopard jumped on my wife, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the leopard. In that case, I'd rather have a solid fixed blade.

I carry two knives and a pistol everyday, even when I'm not hunting.

That is a beautiful knife. What length blade?

You claim it is a watermelon, but it looks like half a duiker… well, maybe I need to zoom in more.
I haven’t measured it exactly but a bit over 4” I’d say.

And I have had a duiker cut in two by a shot . . . !

IMO and IME, a hunter needs to carry a pocket knife AND a sheath knife or a least a fairly large folding hunting knife.

The bush is not "Disneyland" or "Animal Kingdom".

Things can, and do happen, even if rarely... even in RSA, on ranches.

I've had to kill two animals with a knife in the good 'ole U.S. of A, when things got bad quickly and there was no time to get a rifle.

You won't need to field dress an animal (although every hunter should know how), but you could encounter a situation where you might need to defend yourself or assist your PH in dispatching an animal.

If a leopard jumped on my wife, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the leopard. In that case, I'd rather have a solid fixed blade.

I carry two knives and a pistol everyday, even when I'm not hunting.
Safari Dave, I like that you carry Two knives when you are hunting - so do I. I’m a bit unsure about the need to carry Two Knives AND a Pistol “everyday, even when Not Hunting”! Where do you live - jungle or next to a Biker Gang hangout ?

You just never know

Safari Dave, I like that you carry Two knives when you are hunting - so do I. I’m a bit unsure about the need to carry Two Knives AND a Pistol “everyday, even when Not Hunting”! Where do you live - jungle or next to a Biker Gang hangout ?

You just never know what might happen where I live and work.

I'm actually encouraged to carry a pistol while doing my state government (retirement) job, because I have to wear a uniform that makes me look like a game warden. (Some folks just don't like game wardens)

I live in a rural area, but work all over the place.

I've had to put down rabid foxes and racoons without time to get a rifle, and have had two encounters with 2-legged critters that definitely posed a threat while on the job. A co-worker had to put down a black bear last year that was coming for him.

I'm always shooting at something on Saturdays just for fun and I'm on my church's security team, so I have my Sunday-Go-To-Meeting pistol! (I do only carry one knife to church)

I only carry 1 knife on me while hunting… but several more are always close by if needed.. I keep a multi tool as well as a decent fixed blade in the truck glove box.. I also keep a multi tool and a fixed blade in the glove box of my UTV… and then there is always a multi tool and a fixed blade in my pack (which is usually sitting on the seat of the UTV…

I’m a rather have it and not need it… as opposed to a need it and not have it sorta guy…

You just never know what might happen where I live and work.

I'm actually encouraged to carry a pistol while doing my state government (retirement) job, because I have to wear a uniform that makes me look like a game warden. (Some folks just don't like game wardens)

I live in a rural area, but work all over the place.

I've had to put down rabid foxes and racoons without time to get a rifle, and have had two encounters with 2-legged critters that definitely posed a threat while on the job. A co-worker had to put down a black bear last year that was coming for him.

I'm always shooting at something on Saturdays just for fun and I'm on my church's security team, so I have my Sunday-Go-To-Meeting pistol! (I do only carry one knife to church)
Does your church have an active shooter protocol? Are you on.the team that would respond to that scenario? I wish... in Canada that would be unheard of... we are sitting ducks.... wounded sitting ducks.

Does your church have an active shooter protocol? Are you on.the team that would respond to that scenario? I wish... in Canada that would be unheard of... we are sitting ducks.... wounded sitting ducks.
HOYTCANON: But in Canada don’t you have very strict Handgun Laws to protect you ? I think they are (or were?) can’t carry a handgun concealed, No handguns with barrel less then 4”, must belong to a gun club or shooting range to even own a handgun, can only transport your handgun from your home-to-the-range and back-to-home, etc. SO Church should be really really safe !! Some NUT could pop up anywhere, I don’t ever worry about that and even though it’s possible - it does not affect how I live my life….there are far many more good things to enjoy. Also, I lived in Ontario for 2 years (temporary job assignment) and liked it there very much….nice people

HOYTCANON: But in Canada don’t you have very strict Handgun Laws to protect you ? I think they are (or were?) can’t carry a handgun concealed, No handguns with barrel less then 4”, must belong to a gun club or shooting range to even own a handgun, can only transport your handgun from your home-to-the-range and back-to-home, etc. SO Church should be really really safe !! Some NUT could pop up anywhere, I don’t ever worry about that and even though it’s possible - it does not affect how I live my life….there are far many more good things to enjoy. Also, I lived in Ontario for 2 years (temporary job assignment) and liked it there very much….nice people
Wow, you sound like a liberal... only law abiding citizens are disarmed in Canada... the criminals all have guns. Are we safe here? We are until some psychopath decides to enacted deranged violence against us for some perceived offense in his/her drug addled brain... and when they do, we are defenseless because our means of protection of our families is locked in a safe at home... our government has neutered us after Samuel Colt set us free.

Wow, you sound like a liberal... only law abiding citizens are disarmed in Canada... the criminals all have guns. Are we safe here? We are until some psychopath decides to enacted deranged violence against us for some perceived offense in his/her drug addled brain... and when they do, we are defenseless because our means of protection of our families is locked in a safe at home... our government has neutered us after Samuel Colt set us free.
Hoyt: I was never called a “Liberal” before —- sounds like a dirty word these days, Now “I’m hurt”….gonna have to pretend to be offended, whine about my “feelings”, maybe get an interview on NPR or MSNBC??

Yes, we do.

I am.

Those who carry are required (by the security team) to qualify one a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
$pyker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.