What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

And mid-size for no less useful but broader application. :cool:

My knife is the same size as the JT Ranger, but it has the "even an imbecile can sharpen it" scandi edge. VonGruff built a special knife for those amongst us that can't be trusted near a whetstone.

he can still get a pretty decent discount with his veterans status...

benchmade has a discount program through govx.. qualified members get 25% off MSRP..
I'll ask him. Thanks!

True story of courage and valor, however times have changed, and in todays day and age you are accompanied by a team of trackers, PH and possibly others armed to the teeth. Chances of being attacked and dragged by lion are slim to none..

True story of courage and valor, however times have changed, and in todays day and age you are accompanied by a team of trackers, PH and possibly others armed to the teeth. Chances of being attacked and dragged by lion are slim to none..
I'd be more worried about being bitten by some small rabid animal out in the bush and then dying a slow painful death because there's no rabies vaccine available? Maybe my apprehension is unfounded but ..... ?

Indeed. A right proper thread jacking you've encountered. Have we drained the legitimate topic at hand or do you have additional questions about knives for Africa? A pity VonGruff is no longer on this forum, he was profoundly wise on the topics of knives and he makes ideal small knives for practical hunting purposes.
Rookhawk-I have received more than my fair share of answers, the way the subject has transcended and continue to evolve I need to think twice before posing another question.. :D

I'd be more worried about a black Mamba bite or even a African cobra..jeez, now do we start carrying an assortment of vaccines ?? and be able to pick and choose whichever we want

I'd be more worried about a black Mamba bite or even a African cobra..jeez, now do we start carrying an assortment of vaccines ?? and be able to pick and choose whichever we want
There is a reason the client is 3rd or 4th in the line in an African hunt. Any black Mambas or Cobras will either skedaddle away or hit one of those up front first. :unsure:

Yes. LOL

There is a reason the client is 3rd or 4th in the line in an African hunt. Any black Mambas or Cobras will either skedaddle away or hit one of those up front first. :unsure:
A rabid critter wouldn't care who was in succession in line?

SOUMYA, chances of being “dragged by a Lion” were never very high but do you prepare for what “rarely happens”? Since no one can be prepared for everything - prepare for what you can, be as self reliant as possible - it’s great to have help but it may not always be there. Now, I don’t mean that carrying a 6” knife covers your Lion attack concerns - moat of us would be dead in a lion attack with or without a knife… it’s still a useful tool in many more common situations,

I easily open boxes with a key. And carrying keys is essential. Personally, I can't stand to have a lot of nonessential stuff in my pockets. I don't even carry a wallet anymore. Haven't for maybe twenty years. Why should I? Everything is done with cards these days. Wallets are just good for collecting useless detritus. This is all I need for ID and transactions. It goes in a front pants pocket, not poking me in the butt every time I sit down.
View attachment 585543
And no, I don't carry hankies either. Kleenex at home and in the car can handle any booger issues. Keys, card holder, and phone are all I need to have in my pockets. Oh ... I do often have a small comb in my back pants pocket but it is becoming less essential every day. Sigh!

I see way too many guys who wear Leatherman on their belts just to project a tough guy image that they are somehow mechanically inclined. Two of them I can think of right now can't figure out how to change oil in their cars. I can overhaul a car engine but don't see the need to advertise it.

Try living in Africa without a wallet and cash, and the leatherman. We obviously live in two worlds…

Ive carried both at different times..

I prefer a basic 4" fixed blade that has a general purpose design to it (can do anything reasonably well.. but really doesnt excel at any one particular task)..

But there is nothing wrong with a well built folder... I pretty much clip one of about a half dozen different 3-4" folders in my pocket every time I leave the house (Ive got a variety of benchmade, spyderco, etc quality knives that would serve me equally well in Africa as they do at home)..

Only problem- and don’t get me wrong- I love my collection of Benchmades and Spydercos is that they have a tendancy to scratch a beautiful wallnut stock if clipped in the right pocket. Carrying muzzle down somewhat mitigates for this, but then the blueing can stilll scratch.

Try living in Africa without a wallet and cash, and the leatherman. We obviously live in two worlds…
Dewald, you can gut and skin an animal with a “key” then “key” a stranger in the eye and rob their cash ! I haven’t figured out how to replicate the Leatherman?

I'd be more worried about being bitten by some small rabid animal out in the bush and then dying a slow painful death because there's no rabies vaccine available? Maybe my apprehension is unfounded but ..... ?
CEH,
You are not alone in your fear of rabid animals. On my last safari I met a property manager of a very large ranch, who is also a well.kmown PH. He will.openly admit to having more fear of rabies than any large animal in Africa. He's had the rabies vaccination course at least three times. I thought that was interesting, as he and my PH discussed a man they both knew that was taken and killed by a lioness who he night.
Made me a little more rabies aware.

I've only hunted PG once in RSA in June. It was kind of chilly but I was hoping for snow but didn't get any. Maybe July would be better? LOL. Anyway. the snakes are mostly hibernating due to the cold but rabid animals are year round.

Who would not want to carry this with a fine rifle?

View attachment 585611

All part of the adventure where wood and steel help us pursue our dreams.

Not dependent on PH when hunting as a local, but for me it's all part of the romance. Same reason I walk around in a pair of buffalo hide boots every day...

Andries Strydom’s knives are some of the best finished out there.

Luckily the polyvalent vaccine happens in hospital, as it is as likely to kill you than the Mamba of Mfezi. Polyvalent snake vaccines are derived from horse serum, and anaphylaxis occurs in more than 50% of cases.

CEH,
You are not alone in your fear of rabid animals. On my last safari I met a property manager of a very large ranch, who is also a well.kmown PH. He will.openly admit to having more fear of rabies than any large animal in Africa. He's had the rabies vaccination course at least three times. I thought that was interesting, as he and my PH discussed a man they both knew that was taken and killed by a lioness who he night.
Made me a little more rabies aware.

This is why we advocate that everyone on the eastern half of SA remains up to date with rabies vaccination. No one has ever contracted rabies after a saliva contact and correct protocol of antibodies and the vaccine, yet i know of a few deaths due to ignorance.

I have a von gruff knife which I truly enjoy the utility and craftmanship. Also a Boker and Gerber automatic plus pen knifes. I at least take it with me, carry locally. Hows that? Don't want to change the subject but how many of you have a Viking axe with a beard and without? Asking for a friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MayJason

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg