What can be done with a hide!

Well well well .
I thought i reconised the scenery in some of your photos .
You might hear from me one day .
Cheers Dory

look forward to it. I should have put Up in South Otago from you on SI

I was thinking about using the tanned back skins, hair on of coarse, as throws for the backs of chairs, sofas, etc. I think with the tails on, that would be soooo cool. Some of those critters, ie., waterbuck, have such need color pattern on their backside. And---I have the wife's permission! I'm taking over "my" living room after all these years. (45)
Husker in WA

Here is the one back skin I got this time from my Nyala that is getting mounted and the rifle case from the other side. The bench is just the correct size for the hide to sit in it and show all its color changes.
image.jpeg

Bhfs, Sent you a PM. Thanks for posting the photo. Exactly what I had in mind.

Thought I would put a couple more pictures of the rifle case. The lining is a smooth material with 1 inch foam. The back side without the pocket and the view of the hide from tail to neck. The pocket is made big enough to hole a box of shells.
Tom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hey Tom, Good looking case. Thanks for the additional pics. Saw your camo cover for the rifle. What is it's purpose? Also, it looks like a Safari Sling on that thunder stick. Got mine a couple months ago before my moose/caribou horseback hunt in BC. Never walked enough to get a good feel for it. How do you like yours. Any suggestions on how you used yours will be helpful.. I liked the traditional diagonal carry position across the chest, but found it cumbersome when crawling on the ground.

Hi Huskers-in-WA

When I was in SA the first time the owner used the rifle cover for his rifle and I thought that looked like a good idea. The rifle is a Ruger #1 300 WM and the stock is flawless. I thought it would be a good idea to keep it in that shape with all the tines in SA. Got back from my trip and the stock was the same as when I left.
That is a Safari Sling. I don't think I will put anything but that on any gun I own. When I was in SA I didn't have it on my rifle. I carried it over my shoulder without the sling. On a deer hunt in Montana the month after I did use the sling. Being able to have the Ruger #1 on my chest the whole time I was walking through a foot of snow and be able to pull it up to my shoulder and eye and shoot in seconds is great!!!!
You can have it tight to your chest/neck so when you bring it up to your shoulder you can use the pressure of the sling to keep it tight. I like to give more length in the sling so it can be lower on your chest then you can walk around with out touching the rifle and then when needed you can bring it up in seconds for a shot!!
I only had to get down in tall grass/snow but it was ready to bring up for a shot in seconds so I liked how felt.
Tom

Thanks for that Tom, I know they have a myriad of ways to use it, so guess I'm in need of more practice time.

Thank you for this post. I have contacted Daniel and shipped him my Kudu backskin. He's doing a 2 pistol case for me. Can't wait to get it back.

Zebra rug is on the floor.
Wildebeest rug is hung over the back of the couch.
Blesbok hide is draped over the back of a recliner.
The blesbok hide has the nicest feel - very soft.

Very cool. I saw this on the website of the Taxadermy place in RSA that's doing my buff. I thought it was pretty cool.
image.jpeg

Nice case. I’ve used Murray Leather for such projects.
Philip

I've always wondered if zebra hide would be as good (or better) than horse hide for leather holsters..........holster makers can't get horse hide anymore, and I have a Bianchi horse hide holster for my Colt Trooper Mk III and a Milt Sparks summer special for one of my 1911's. The hide is much stiffer ( durable?) than cow hide (and much more expensive). If I ever get a chance to go back, I may have the hide sent back to tan into leather to make some custom holsters for my carry guns.

I have a Bianchi horse hide holster for my Colt Trooper Mk III and a Milt Sparks summer special for one of my 1911's. The hide is much stiffer ( durable?) than cow hide (and much more expensive). If I ever get a chance to go back, I may have the hide sent back to tan into leather to make some custom holsters for my carry guns.

Yep!

I’ve got Kramer horsehide holsters for both my glock and my 1911... had them for more than 15 years... still look and function as good today as the day I bought them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.