Welcome To The Wonderful World Of BSA

Today, when most younger generations of hunters think of British firearms... they conjure up images in their minds of bespoke gun houses such as James Purdey & Sons or Westley Richards.

But this was not always so. Those of us who are a certain age (esp. the ones like me who were born informer British colonies) have fond memories of BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) firearms.

Building firearms up until 1974, BSA offered mass production decent quality firearms for the working class hunter. Many of their firearms still grace the second hand racks of gun stores found in Great Britain, Australia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh & Africa (albeit in varying conditions).

Since a lot of you gents frequently come across second hand BSA firearms on the market, I thought that perhaps it might help you if I uploaded some of these vintage book pages so that you can better understand BSA rifles & shotguns.

BSA rifles were unique in that the post World War II variants were built on their own proprietary actions. The early “Royal” models were control round feed; being built like the Mauser Model 98 action but with the two piece striker similar to what one encounters on a Springfield Model 1903A3. The later “Majestic” and “Monarch” lines employed a push feed action which was infinitely more reliable than a Remington Model 700 or post ‘64- pre ‘92 Winchester Model 70 action.

BSA firearms were (and still are) quite revered amongst African hunters (both white hunters and local resident hunters). Two of my white hunters (Mr. Cheffings in Kenya and Mr. Palmer in Botswana) almost exclusively preferred a BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum as their dangerous game backup rifle of choice. As did elephant culler Paul Grobler. It was also Mr. Richard Harland’s personally owned dangerous game rifle of choice until 1973 (which was gifted to him by Paul Grobler). Richard owned another BSA Majestic in .30-06 Springfield as his plains game rifle of choice. Much like myself, he loves these old British rifles but doesn’t have a kind word to say about those beastly built-in muzzle brakes.

Warmest Regards,
Habib
View attachment 605291View attachment 605292View attachment 605293View attachment 605294View attachment 605295View attachment 605296View attachment 605297View attachment 605298View attachment 605299View attachment 605300View attachment 605301View attachment 605302View attachment 605303
A BSA Monarch in 7mm Remington Magnum
View attachment 605320View attachment 605318
View attachment 605317
A BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum still doing what it was designed to do (Please note that this photograph is NOT mine)View attachment 605319
@Hunter-Habib, thank you for posting such excellent information about BSA rifles. Over the years, I have come to respect these. Your text pictures, I think are from Frank de Haas, "Bolt Action Rifles", an excellent source.

My first encounter with BSA rifles, was in high school, at a long-gone department store, Montgomery Wards. I bought my first centerfire revolver there in 1978 when I was just 17 years old. Ahh those days of the past.

The BSA Rifles were a "store brand" of Montgomery Wards for a few years. Unimpressive fit and finish. Later, at some gun shows in the South, I got to handle some import models, much better made, and then read Frank de Haas write up on these rifles.

In the early 2000s, often visiting the gun show in Greenville, South Carolina, an English engineering professor always had a table with English guns and rifles, the likes of Westley Richards, W.J. Jeffery, John Rigby, Joseph Manton, Joseph Lang, Webley and Scott, and many others. I would stay at his table for hours.

One day he had a couple of BSA rifles, from the 1970's. I was intrigued, having just read Frank de Haas's review.

He appreciated the engineering and work that went into these rifles, especially during the 1970s. Such workmanship is just a fleeting memory for most. I appreciated the smooth actions.

Thank you for the articles and stories of Africa.

They made some very nice 303 as well. The Lee Speed.
Lee-Speeds are really interesting rifles. I have a Lee-Enfield "sporter" a friend gave me, have been thinking about having it customized like a "Lee-Speed" version.
It handles and shoots really well, I think the stock dimensions work.

Appreciate your posting this thread. Good information.

@Hunter-Habib, thank you for posting such excellent information about BSA rifles. Over the years, I have come to respect these. Your text pictures, I think are from Frank de Haas, "Bolt Action Rifles", an excellent source.

My first encounter with BSA rifles, was in high school, at a long-gone department store, Montgomery Wards. I bought my first centerfire revolver there in 1978 when I was just 17 years old. Ahh those days of the past.

The BSA Rifles were a "store brand" of Montgomery Wards for a few years. Unimpressive fit and finish. Later, at some gun shows in the South, I got to handle some import models, much better made, and then read Frank de Haas write up on these rifles.

In the early 2000s, often visiting the gun show in Greenville, South Carolina, an English engineering professor always had a table with English guns and rifles, the likes of Westley Richards, W.J. Jeffery, John Rigby, Joseph Manton, Joseph Lang, Webley and Scott, and many others. I would stay at his table for hours.

One day he had a couple of BSA rifles, from the 1970's. I was intrigued, having just read Frank de Haas's review.

He appreciated the engineering and work that went into these rifles, especially during the 1970s. Such workmanship is just a fleeting memory for most. I appreciated the smooth actions.

Thank you for the articles and stories of Africa.
Hey, I still have a plaid shirt from Montgomery Wards.

If you looked at the emblem of BSA you would of seen the 3 Stacked rifles on them.

BSA was making fire arms 50yrs before they started making bikes, I had a BSA push bike when I was a kid to go with my Air Rifle lol
I had to look that emblem up, interesting. I'm sure they were making arms prior, just not a common thing in the US. Even the bikes are pretty rare in my part of the world and honestly I don't think I ever saw the one that old coworker talked about highly, which was easily 25 years ago now. The only emblem I can recall is just the three letter emblem, probably something newer.

@ Hunter-Habib,
Thanks for a great write-up!
My first rifle was a BSA air rifle. I still have it and it’s fully functional.
Also has a better trigger than 99% of todays production rifles.

@Boela… that’s an amazing collection!

Lee-Speeds are really interesting rifles. I have a Lee-Enfield "sporter" a friend gave me, have been thinking about having it customized like a "Lee-Speed" version.
It handles and shoots really well, I think the stock dimensions work.
My mother came home from a garage sale with a WW2 sniper rifle Lee-speeds in .303
she paid like $65-$70 for it
I killed many a nilgai, deer & hogs with it using Remington 180gr cor- lokt
till some thieves broke in and stole it
if I still had it that’s what I would use for PG , awesome gun

Today, when most younger generations of hunters think of British firearms... they conjure up images in their minds of bespoke gun houses such as James Purdey & Sons or Westley Richards.

But this was not always so. Those of us who are a certain age (esp. the ones like me who were born informer British colonies) have fond memories of BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) firearms.

Building firearms up until 1974, BSA offered mass production decent quality firearms for the working class hunter. Many of their firearms still grace the second hand racks of gun stores found in Great Britain, Australia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh & Africa (albeit in varying conditions).

Since a lot of you gents frequently come across second hand BSA firearms on the market, I thought that perhaps it might help you if I uploaded some of these vintage book pages so that you can better understand BSA rifles & shotguns.

BSA rifles were unique in that the post World War II variants were built on their own proprietary actions. The early “Royal” models were control round feed; being built like the Mauser Model 98 action but with the two piece striker similar to what one encounters on a Springfield Model 1903A3. The later “Majestic” and “Monarch” lines employed a push feed action which was infinitely more reliable than a Remington Model 700 or post ‘64- pre ‘92 Winchester Model 70 action.

BSA firearms were (and still are) quite revered amongst African hunters (both white hunters and local resident hunters). Two of my white hunters (Mr. Cheffings in Kenya and Mr. Palmer in Botswana) almost exclusively preferred a BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum as their dangerous game backup rifle of choice. As did elephant culler Paul Grobler. It was also Mr. Richard Harland’s personally owned dangerous game rifle of choice until 1973 (which was gifted to him by Paul Grobler). Richard owned another BSA Majestic in .30-06 Springfield as his plains game rifle of choice. Much like myself, he loves these old British rifles but doesn’t have a kind word to say about those beastly built-in muzzle brakes.

Warmest Regards,
Habib
View attachment 605291View attachment 605292View attachment 605293View attachment 605294View attachment 605295View attachment 605296View attachment 605297View attachment 605298View attachment 605299View attachment 605300View attachment 605301View attachment 605302View attachment 605303
View attachment 605317
A BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum still doing what it was designed to do (Please note that this photograph is NOT mine)View attachment 605319
I had a BSA 222 REM in the 1960s thank you for your article.

Warmest Regards,
Habib
View attachment 605317
HH - thank you for this excellent write up . I am constantly amazed at how few people know about the BSA conglomerate. Firearms ( both military contracts and commercial arms ) , motor cycles and fabulous high end motor cars under the Daimler brand . BSA made many sporting rifles under the Lee Speed patents pre 1914 and once the patents lapsed simply as commercial Lee Enfields. These rifles were often supplied to the other big London and Birmingham concerns and rebranded “Shot & Regulated by Holland & Holland “ or Rigby or Greener or WR to name a few . They were and are superb rifles in 303 , 315 and 375 ( the rimmed 2.5” case ). Sadly many confuse sporterised ex military surplus rifles with Lee Speeds - they are very poor imitations of a very fine rifle . I have 2 . Both are 303s . The first is a BSA&M Co rifle a Pattern No1 type . This was based on the Magazine Lee Metford II action. It was made pre 1897 . It must have been a revelation to hunters in its day. Happily shoots 215 grain bullets at 2100fps . A really fine looking rifle . The other is an Army & Navy CSL ( made by BSA ) . Another pattern No 1. Has a shotgun type safety . I imported it from England - but not in my possession currently as I jump through hoops to register it. If people have not heard of British Daimler cars google Docker Daimlers and see how fabulous these things were . My uncle drove a Daimler Majestic V8 - a superior car to a Rolls Royce by any measure . These were the cars favoured by the British Royals .

They made some very nice 303 as well. The Lee Speed.
Fyi the 5 shot Army&Navy rifle shown in this article is mine . Imported it to OZ but being delayed by red tape to finally pick it up . It is a lovely Pattern No1 “best “ quality rifle .

Warmest Regards,
Habib
View attachment 605317
@Hunter-Habib
BSA certainly made some very fine firearms but I personally think someone lost the plot when they put integral muzzle brakes on some rifles. This to me turned a beautiful rifle into a noisy ugly pice of rubbish. In Australia a lot of people removed them.
BSA also made the No1 Mk111 and No4 Mk1 SMLE for wartime production. Few people realise they also made some beautiful motorbikes.
Even tho I'm not quite the same age as your good self I remember selling BSA rifles to customers as a 15 year old shop assistant back in the early 70s. A common calibre back the was the 222 Remington that fox and roo shooters bought along with a few 270s and the odd 30-06.
My father always said the latter two were to big for most Australian game and that a good 303-25 on a P14 Enfield was more than adequate for anything short of buffalo.
Bob

@Hunter-Habib Excellent info, thanks for posting. It brought back many memories of both BSA rifles and motorcycles. The bikes were less revered by us...."Bastard Stopped Again" was a common moniker. But the rifles were a cut above the usual junk that us kids hunted with. I think, from your prior posts, that we are born the same year. And although half a World apart, share many of the same memories....thanks again.................FW Bill

I only own one BSA and it’s certainly not a big game cartridge. However, as a young bloke there were plenty about where I grew up…mainly in 222 Remington. And of course in the little martini action rifles chambered for cartridges like.310 cadet, 32/20 and 22LR.

Here’s my BSA in .310 cadet.

IMG_6852.jpeg
IMG_6853.jpeg
IMG_6856.jpeg
IMG_6855.jpeg
IMG_6857.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hunter-Habib
BSA certainly made some very fine firearms but I personally think someone lost the plot when they put integral muzzle brakes on some rifles. This to me turned a beautiful rifle into a noisy ugly pice of rubbish. In Australia a lot of people removed them.
BSA also made the No1 Mk111 and No4 Mk1 SMLE for wartime production. Few people realise they also made some beautiful motorbikes.
Even tho I'm not quite the same age as your good self I remember selling BSA rifles to customers as a 15 year old shop assistant back in the early 70s. A common calibre back the was the 222 Remington that fox and roo shooters bought along with a few 270s and the odd 30-06.
My father always said the latter two were to big for most Australian game and that a good 303-25 on a P14 Enfield was more than adequate for anything short of buffalo.
Bob
I couldn't agree more, Bobby. They put an integral muzzle brake on a .22 Hornet. What were they thinking ?!

Clearly, someone at the factory had become imbalanced. If you need a muzzle brake to tame the recoil of a .22 Hornet, then firearms are not for you !

I couldn't agree more, Bobby. They put an integral muzzle brake on a .22 Hornet. What were they thinking ?!

Clearly, someone at the factory had become imbalanced. If you need a muzzle brake to tame the recoil of a .22 Hornet, then firearms are not for you !
@Hunter-Habib
I think someone in management must have been either off their medication or taking something funny at the time that severely affected their judgement. As much as I hate the 243 hearing one go off with that muzzle brake made me hate the already noisy sob even more.
When the muzzle brake was removed it changed the ugly duckling back into a swan.
Bob

@Hunter-Habib Excellent info, thanks for posting. It brought back many memories of both BSA rifles and motorcycles. The bikes were less revered by us...."Bastard Stopped Again" was a common moniker. But the rifles were a cut above the usual junk that us kids hunted with. I think, from your prior posts, that we are born the same year. And although half a World apart, share many of the same memories....thanks again.................FW Bill
Bill, I was born in 1951. I couldn't agree more. We are all more similar than different. Hunting & firearms have a really unique way of uniting people from all walks of life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OUCIsis169

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.