AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
I'm looking for a Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 458. In particular one whose bolt handle is mid-bolt. If anyone has one they'd like to sell please let me know.

I'm looking for a Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 458. In particular one whose bolt handle is mid-bolt. If anyone has one they'd like to sell please let me know.

All Mannlicher Schoenauers had the bolt handle 'mid bolt' which passed through a split bridge, making the bolt handle a 'third lug' when closed.

The models of M1952 and later typically had swept back handles, but the 'Magnum' offerings did not.

MS Stoeger 1952 02.jpg

MS Stoeger 1954 01.jpg

MS Stoeger 1958 Magnum Action.jpg

Stoeger, 1958

MS Stoeger Magnum 1958.jpg

Stoeger, 1958

@Sourdough Best of luck with your search. I'll bet not very many of these were produced or sold in .458. Interesting to note that in 1952 M-S knew better than to sweep the bolt handle back on the hard kicking 458. @Brian Rothhammer always appreciate your expertise on these rifles. Would mak an awesome buff gun. I'll see if I can help you find one...........FWB

@flatwater bill Any/all help is appreciated. This is the gun Richard Harland used (and loved) in his government work of eradicating entire elephant herds in the Tsetse fly corridors. I love hunting with these old guns.

@Sourdough I just finished reading The Hunting Imperative by him and immediately thought about Harland when I saw your want ad. Good luck in the search!

@Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy thanks. Another excellent book he wrote is "Guide to Ndlovu - The Art Of Hunting The African Elephant"

Sourdough,
The rifle I'm holding in the attached photo is I believe what you're looking for. I hunted with Jofie Lamprecht for leopard in Namibia in 2016. After bagging the leopard, I accompanied Jofie and another hunter for white rhino. The client used this rifle which is chambered in the caliber you're looking for. Jofie's late father Joof had used this rifle to bag the last elephant of his career, and no doubt many others.
I remember it was a beautiful gun, and has no doubt seen historic use, but is clearly very well kept.
I don't know if Jofie is willing to sell, but you could always discuss it with him at either of next year's SCI or DSC conventions :D Beers:
P1000412.JPG

@Anbessa Gedai that would be the one. Thanks for the brief history on that gun, and the photo. Imagine the stories it could tell.

@rookhawk no idea what to expect cost wise, but I do own a 1910 W.J. Jeffery 475 No 2 (my favorite hunting rifle) and a 1914 Holland & Holland 375 H&H, among many others so not too worried about cost as long as it's south of $50k.

Very rare gun. Very valuable. Extreme recoil due to its lightweight. I hope you understand what you’re asking for in regards to cost and performance?

Ideal PH gun. They don’t jam and reload silky smooth.
I read some where that only 77 were made. I have no idea if it's true.

@rookhawk no idea what to expect cost wise, but I do own a 1910 W.J. Jeffery 475 No 2 (my favorite hunting rifle) and a 1914 Holland & Holland 375 H&H, among many others so not too worried about cost as long as it's south of $50k.

They were a factory firearm unlike your preferred H&H and Jeffery, but they made less than 80 of them. At least 40 are owned by PHs in Africa. Rare and expensive are the general rule.

It is. That’s what makes a $1400 MCA 1952 into an $8000+ gun. It’s a very rare collectors item.

MCA and M1952 are distinctly different models.

MCA denoted a 'Monte Carlo All Purpose' (actually Monte Carlo Amerikanische) stock configuration whereas the M1952 (GK) was the last MS with a traditional 'prewar' stock comb.

Mannlicher Schoenauers chambered in .458 were neither M1952 (GK) nor MCA, they were Magnum models which had longer receivers than M1952 or MCA:

MS Stoeger 1960 GK Stock.jpg

MS 1952 GK 01.jpg

MS Model MCA 1962 Stoeger.jpg

MS Magnum Stoeger 1961.jpg

Attachments

• MS 1952 GK 01 b.jpg
    MS 1952 GK 01 b.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 60
I have a. 458 Mannlicher Schoenaur MS model 1958 available. Unfortunately I am residing in South Africa. I do not need to sell it, but will be interested if you will handle all permanent Export documentation from your side, I will handle it from my side.. Determining factor will be the offer to me for the. 458 Mannlicher Schoenaur, I will throw in Richard Harland's book sign by Richard Harland himself as well..

Yes, rotary magazine, like the Mauser bottom metal and magazine floor , this rotary magazine can not open under heavy fire rate and dump all the rounds on your feet while a lot of elephant cows are storming you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Read the link on my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer there are photos of this rotary magazine with the rounds in in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!