Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
Love mine with Coil Check stock. Large price if wood but really works with the 460 Weatherby. Often thought about a rebarrel to 500A2, but this one is a laser to 200+.

Reactions: SLG

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I'm not sure, but I think that @USMA84DAB may have something for you. If he doesn't respond, send a PM.

Reactions: SLG
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life DSC, TSRA, Life NRA
Hunted
US, Argentina, Scotland, Austria, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.48.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.48.50 PM.png
    664.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.48.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.48.51 PM.png
    507.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.48.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.48.53 PM.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 30

C.W. Richter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 3x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
They ARE shooters, and Art Alphin's large surface area butt just makes perfect sense, adding to the accuracy (of many heavy-hitting calibers). Many are full-length bedded and feature coated SS barrels. Good luck! 'Wish his bullets were still available (esp. Lion Loads.) I don't think the smaller caliber (non-Enfield mag action) M70-based guns required the big stock, but they too are very nice!!!

IMG_20131105_165922_321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JPmbogo

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
NRA, Grays Harbor Rifle and Pistol Club
Hunted
Indiana, Michigan, Alabama, Montana, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, South Africa
The 577 T-Rex is a beast of a rifle. Never shot one, but years ago handled one at a local SCI banquet. Seemed like a rifle built for an NFL lineman - very large rifle. I have an original A-Square in 500 ASq. Also a beast, but certainly not in the category of the 577!

SLG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
pistol-training.com
The 577 is bigger than I want, but a 416 or 458 of some type might be nice. I agree that it is wasted on a small caliber, but the stock design just seems so good that I would like to try one in a biggish caliber.

JPmbogo

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Hunted
Have not seen one with checkering. My 500 has great wood but no checkering. I will have to check my ASq lit on checkering as an extra. I had corresponded with them several years ago before they closed shop for good. Does the pictured rifle have the "Coil Check" stock. It looks a bit light in the butt stock?
ASquare2.jpg

SLG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
pistol-training.com
Nice rifles, but I don't think that is a coil check either. Shouldn't have checkering, but also the lines don't look right. hard to tell from the angle maybe.

JPmbogo

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Hunted
For the good of the order, in 2003 A-Square produced three models, the Hannibal (Big Bore), the Hamilcar (Small Bore), and the Genghis Khan (Varmints). All of the heavy hitters were produced only in the Hannibal model which was the "Coil Check" stock. Their literature and order forms made no mention of checkering. In fact, I think checkering was a no-no due to the heavy recoil of some of the chamberings, including my 500. My last contact with A-Square was in 2008. At that time, they were located in Chamberlain, SD. They had three T-Rex in stock - regret not buying one. I have also owned one in 416 Rigby.

SLG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
pistol-training.com
I think I would want checkering, but Art Alphin made it clear that he thought checkering would remove skin when shooting the big boys. I don't need the biggest stuff he made, but I think a 416 Rigby or 458WM would be a nice compromise with the Coil Check.

JPmbogo

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Hunted
I think I would want checkering, but Art Alphin made it clear that he thought checkering would remove skin when shooting the big boys. I don't need the biggest stuff he made, but I think a 416 Rigby or 458WM would be a nice compromise with the Coil Check.
Frankly, finding a Hannibal will be a challenge. I had looked for several years without success until I found the 500 on GI, and it had just been listed. I had even posted here for wanting one as you have. I got a couple of responses, but no pure Hannibal offered. If you succeed let us know. As you recall, I had offered you the one I have, but now I am glad you did not take me up on it!

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
FWIW, the A2 catalog had upgrades on wood upon request, I'll phot my copy when I'm back home. Mine is confirmed original (as in A2 built) in a Coil Check stock with checkering. I doubt it was done after, but possible I guess
Screenshot_20210228-164533_GunBroker.jpg

JPmbogo

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Hunted
FWIW, the A2 catalog had upgrades on wood upon request, I'll phot my copy when I'm back home. Mine is confirmed original (as in A2 built) in a Coil Check stock with checkering. I doubt it was done after, but possible I guess
View attachment 479280
The 2008 price list showed $350 for A grade fancy walnut, and $650 for AAA grade. The .577 T-Rex and 505 Gibbs listed $550 for these specific guns. Interestingly, the base price for an Hannibal in 2002 was $3625 - in 2008, $3500. The 2002 price listed showed a synthetic stock additional charge of $550 - no such offering in 2008. Neither price list said anything about checkering.

TTundra

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
The 2008 price list showed $350 for A grade fancy walnut, and $650 for AAA grade. The .577 T-Rex and 505 Gibbs listed $550 for these specific guns. Interestingly, the base price for an Hannibal in 2002 was $3625 - in 2008, $3500. The 2002 price listed showed a synthetic stock additional charge of $550 - no such offering in 2008. Neither price list said anything about checkering.
I believe mine is from the mid-late 90s, and comes with a separate pricing sheet. I'll be able to check it when I am home end of this week. I would also guess that a custom rifle company's such as A2 would perform clients requests if reasonable. However, I do seem to remember chechering being on that build sheet, but will check to confirm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fogessentialshoodie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

geoff rath wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'day, Von Gruff; Could you give me an idea on your Bearded Chef Knife, as per your posted photos, delivered to Australia? I'd like to reward a good mate (excellent amateur chef) who has done me big favours in the past. Cheers, Geoff Rath
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on TERMINATOR's profile.
I just received a forwarded e-mail from you, concerning our Web Site. We just finished a leopard hunt yesterday. While on the hunt my wife mentioned to me that she had finally had it with the person that was maintaining the site and that she was going to get someone else to maintain the site.

If the site is not active you can contact me thru the AH forum.

Cheers, Lon Denney
Tokoloshe Safaris,
Zimbabwe
Bwana Man wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
Interested in the
  • JP Sauer 90 Luxus .375 H&H West German with EAW swing mounts and Varix III 2.5-8x40 scope (Euro Model hand rubbed oil, express sights) 99.9%
yamoon wrote on C.W. Richter's profile.
Hello
The book is still available, I will consider it sold. Personal check is fine. Send me your address.
Thanks
Michael
[redacted]
Mark Audino wrote on ryno111's profile.
Hi Ryan,
Did this note come to you as a private message?
Thanks,
Mark