Want To Buy Westley Richards .425

It may have been less than $20,000, but that's the number that sticks in my mind. I believe it was a breakdown model, but can't be sure of that either.

Same subject but a different take. I am a big Rigby fan and have been since I learned what a Rigby was many years ago. I only own Winchesters and Rugers, with a couple of exceptions of Chapuis and Webley and Scott. If I could afford a Rigby Big Game in .375 and .416 I would own them, not because I could necessarily shoot them better than I can my current rifles, but because they are Rigbys. That is probably the reason the OP wants a WR .425

My dad's books and The Explora ignited and fanned the flames for wanting a WR. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Rigby- one of the first African game cartridges that I remember seeing as a kid that caught my attention was a .416, and I'm definitely looking for interesting .425 alternatives if I can't track one down. But Rigby prices can get pretty 'aggressive' to say the least, like a lot of these makers.

The Rugers in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 look pretty great if I wanted to mess around with 'weird' calibers compared to the famous British makers... and I do love my Ruger in .270, but it's not a WR...

Last edited:
https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6971128

The rifle has been on sale for months. The seller is a very serious supplier. I was already in business with him.

https://www.feine-jagdwaffen.de/

Claton, did you take a serious look at this? This rifle looks pristine. If you wanted to, I'd almost be willing to bet that you can speak to the seller in English. I'm also sure that the rifle can be imported. Of course there would be some additional fees involved.

I did. I've got a message out to him in English and German. Knowing many Europeans, he probably speaks better English than I do, but I gave it a shot in both languages just in case. We shall see!

Its probably no damn help to you guys, but I know of two 425WR's for sale in Zim. I don't believe either are "Best" grade rifles, but they are ex Game Dept. Rifles. The one I have looked at was in pretty good condition. These are certainly nothing like the $12-20k that is being talked about here.

I managed to buy my 425WR just last November. I found it in Namibia - also an ex Rhodesian Game dept. gun. Tsetse Control rifle. Built late 1940's early 1950's. Its apparently one of only 13 built for the Tsetse control dept. Its in really good condition for a 70 year old rifle that was used as a tool by game dept. staff.

I still haven't fired it, but cant wait!

So Clayton, I can fully understand your desire for one. I can say I have now got a real piece of history in my safe (Not an ex Selous rifle - but old Africa none the less!)

I know where there are two at least they were available a few months ago. Unfortunately they are with a dealer here in Zim. The two of theme were brought to me to see if I was interested, I wasn't. If I remember correctly one or both and been re blued by the same dealer. Personally I think his bluing sucks! If you want I can get you contact details.

I know where there are two at least they were available a few months ago. Unfortunately they are with a dealer here in Zim. The two of theme were brought to me to see if I was interested, I wasn't. If I remember correctly one or both and been re blued by the same dealer. Personally I think his bluing sucks! If you want I can get you contact details.

What the hard life in the bush doesn’t destroy, bad gunsmithing finishes off.

Rule #1 - do no harm.

0000 bronze wool
Soft toothbrushes
Denatured alcohol
Kroil
Bronze bore brushes
Cotton patches
Brass jags
Soft t-shirts
Jb bore paste
Foaming wipe out bore cleaner
Pink rubber erasers
Gun stock wax

I’ve turned countless 65% condition guns into 90% condition guns only using the items above. It amazes me how unqualified people restore (destroy) things when conserving them is completely benign and usually better.

I once sold a Westley to a guy because it was in pristine condition. He passed on the same gun a year earlier (in disbelief it was the same gun) at a dealer because of its poor condition! It was 90%+ condition after ten hours of conservation work!

Reactions: WAB
That's a shame about the reblue. I've gotten in touch with the gentleman in Germany regarding his rifle, and I'm reaching out about import details. It'll be a new experience if I do go for that one.

That's a shame about the reblue. I've gotten in touch with the gentleman in Germany regarding his rifle, and I'm reaching out about import details. It'll be a new experience if I do go for that one.

Before dropping $20 grand on a foreign rifle, I'd suggest you reach out to gunsinternational.com's owner, David Powell. David is a dyed in the wool Westley Richards aficionado. I wager he may own or may know someone else that owns what you're looking for Stateside. I've found him to be an honest gentleman so he's unlikely to refer you to a dodgy gun.

Thanks, will do! I appreciate the tip. I'm definitely in search/evaluation mode rather than strict buying right now (that sort of money's definitely not burning a hole in my pocket), looking for the confluence of the best price, option, and condition.

There is a what I would consider a reasonably priced WR double in .450 NE on Gunbroker. I was half tempted myself but I don't know enough about a good double to buy one without an expert seeing it first. Had lots of brass and ammo with it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848957841

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 4.57.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 4.57.19 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 4.57.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 4.57.20 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 4.57.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 4.57.22 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I kick myself every time I remember the WR 98 Mauser 7x57 I snagged many years ago from a guys trunk in parking lot in Seattle, circa 1989. Guy just wanted to dump it, apparently a bad thing must have happened with the PO. Anyway I shot it for a while, enjoyed it, then sold it for double my money to someone who knew its real value. Sold it for,,,, $1000 US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or.....
E35D6816-FB48-4C26-84E6-44F74F4A6727.jpeg

You know the second one is more my speed. Haha. Just so I can dream, did it have a price posted or was it strictly for exhibition? Interesting and beautiful rifles, either way. Thank you for sharing!

You know the second one is more my speed. Haha. Just so I can dream, did it have a price posted or was it strictly for exhibition? Interesting and beautiful rifles, either way. Thank you for sharing!
The old adage if you have to ask, you can’t afford it! So I didn’t ask!

There is a what I would consider a reasonably priced WR double in .450 NE on Gunbroker. I was half tempted myself but I don't know enough about a good double to buy one without an expert seeing it first. Had lots of brass and ammo with it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848957841
The tiger on this rifle looks like the engraver had a box of Frosted Flakes as an example of what a tiger looks like! Make the Merkel animal scenes look realistic! Lol

It’s also been restocked.
In the email notice I got you said it was a fraud, not a NE but a black powder. Is that true or did you change your post?

In the email notice I got you said it was a fraud, not a NE but a black powder. Is that true or did you change your post?

I throttled back on that because I found conflicting info on 70gr cordite and 480gr. Wikipedia says that’s BPE, but another source says that’s the full 2150fps load. Unsure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelineP

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you