Vz-24 Questions

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Aaron Nietfeld, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Aaron Nietfeld

Aaron Nietfeld AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    I’m in need of some opinions here! I know there are a bunch of Bruno fans lurking around.

I’ve come across a VZ-24 action in 8mm for what seems to be a decent price. I’m just wondering if there are any years I should stay away from, or were they all solid actions.

Also, I’m not sold on an 8mm, am I crazy in thinking of turning it into a .270? Any caliber suggestions?

2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Do you see a U in BRNO somewhere that we don't?? Its BRNO, not Bruno. Now as to the actions, good actions all as far as I know. I had a nice 7mm sporter made on one once. BRNO didn't make junk. However having said that the pre war actions of just about any maker will be better in some ways than those made during the war. The actions made in the mid to late 30's are the ones to have.

3. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

try a 280 rem.
    would be lovely on that action.
    add a 375 and you would never need another hunting rifle except for very specialized applications.
    bruce.

Hearties likes this.

4. Aaron Nietfeld

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    Yes you're right, obviously auto-correct doesn't like BRNO

5. Aaron Nietfeld

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    I already have the 375, and it needs it's little brother the 300, but that's a whole different can of worms!

6. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Auto correct, right. My typing of BRNO never gets "corrected". Many people say BRUNO, but its incorrect. Pet peeve of mine.

7. Cousin Bongo

Cousin Bongo AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - Benefactor
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zambia, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, Paupa New Guinea, Philippines, USA (various including Alaska)
    The VZ.24 is a fine action and I've converted many of them into sporting rifles. Those with the Rampant Lion crest are my personal favorite. That said, converting one into a decent sporter - even if, like me, you can do all of the work yourself - means lots more money, time and effort. It also means dealing with lots more hassles than just buying one of the many fine off-the-shelf sporters available today. It's just not a cost effective route to take nowadays (but that doesn't stop me!).

Some of the rifles I've built on VZ.24 actions:

Custom pseudo-Scout built on a VZ.24 action and chambered for 30-06. Many head of game taken and thousands of rounds through it. I took this rifle through one of Jeff Cooper's rifle classes back in the day - "Uncle" Jeff really liked it.
    [​IMG]

Another 30-06 built on a VZ.24 with Rampant Lion crest.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

375 H&H muscle-Scout built on a VZ.24 action with custom bottom metal (5+1 capacity).
    [​IMG]

CB

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2019

8. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    I have two rifles built on VZ-24 actions, a 25-06 and a 375 whelen AI. Really like both of them.

9. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

bongo,
    what are the stocks on those rifles?
    bruce.

10. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    Ive built 2x rifles using VZ24 actions.. The first was a 35 whelen that is one of my favorite rifles in the safe.. the second is a 270 that is lights out accurate and is the smoothest action I have ever owned on any rifle..

If I knew where to find another one in good shape at a good price, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat..

11. Aaron Nietfeld

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    For the 270 did the mag box have to be lengthened? I’m finding mixed messages online about it!

12. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    Not at all.

COAL for 270 is 3.340 which is the same as 30-06, 35 Whelen, .25-06, etc (all pretty common conversions for LR Mauser actions)..

I've built a 416 Taylor, 35 Whelen, 270, and a 30-06 all on LR Mauser actions.. All of them feed and function flawlessly..

13. Aaron Nietfeld

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    That's also how I read the numbers, but there are people out there claiming that some work needs to be done to the mag, so I was hoping for some real world experience!

14. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    If you want to change calibers, go ahead. There is nothing wrong however with the 8mm. It is a fantastic Africa round. It is also a great North American round out to 300 meters, or further if you want.

30-06, 303, 8mm. Similar calibers with over 100 years of performance. Everybody has a 270. How many people have an 8mm.

15. Cousin Bongo

Cousin Bongo AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - Benefactor
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zambia, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, Paupa New Guinea, Philippines, USA (various including Alaska)
    The two gray stocks are MPI Kevlar/carbon fiber stocks - excellent stocks! The tan stock in the middle pictures is a High Tech Specialties stock - also a very good stock. I buy stock blanks and fit, bed and finish them myself.

+1 on the 8mm Mauser/8x57/7.92x57 - it's one of my favorite cartridges/chamberings and it will do everything the 30-06 will do. Unfortunately, ammo isn't so readily available off-the-shelf anymore and most of the American made stuff is loaded to low pressures and velocities.

CB

16. USMA84DAB

USMA84DAB AH Member

Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    MO, CO
    I have built several 308WIN scout rifles on the VZ24 actions. You see, in 1996 I was running ammo production at A-Square and Art pointed out the surplus VZ-24 actions coming into the country at $80 each. I managed to snatch up a half dozen or so. Smartest gun buy I have ever made!!!!

Have also made two .35 Whelen Ackley Improved Scout rifles one on VZ24, one on a Turk Mauser. Just wrote Cousin Bongo regarding how he is keeping his rails in place - mine are shooting off the barrel/sliding forward under recoil.

But the upside of that is I just bought a .375 Ruger Alaskan because the .35WAI shot itself apart and is at the gun doctor being fixed.

Next project gun will be a 7mm-08 for one of the remaining VZ24s.

I too have some with the rampant lion crest which was a real driver for the scout rail vs. conventional mounting.

8mm slew a metric boatload of Russians and some Yanks and Brits as well - there is no dirt on that cartridge!

17. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Vz-24 is a solid, robust action. We have one in our attic in .270 Winchester. My son used it on his first and only white tail. Deer .It's a very good gun.
    I personally favor the ZKK Series action from BRNO myself ( borderline obsession ;) )

18. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    How large a caliber can a VZ-24 handle?

Hoss Delgado likes this.

19. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I know FOR a fact that you can get them to handle .300 Win Mag , 9.3 × 62 and .350 Rigby Magnum in the Vz -24 Action :)

WAB likes this.

20. USMA84DAB

USMA84DAB AH Member

Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    MO, CO
    The caliber really isn't the issue - it is the length of the cartridge. I have one that feeds certain .30-06 cartridges, and hangs up un others when the projectile catches on the side of the action coming out of the feed rails. Filing on feed rails is a tenuous practice - the tiniest bit too much and you are screwed. VZ24s are looked at for 7mm-08, .358 WIN, 8x57, .308 WIN. I use a Turk Mauser for .30-06 length cartridges.

Hoss Delgado likes this.