513.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 8.37.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 8.37.59 PM.png
    352.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 8.38.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 8.38.02 PM.png
    801.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:
I am tracking with @Jeff 907 . If you are willing to make a meaningful investment in binoculars, then I would get something with a Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski logo on it.

Buying one of the “big 3” simply because of their name plate doesn’t interest me. It’s kinda like telling someone who’s interest in a Camry to just buy either a BMW, Mercedes or Maserati.

I actually did look through the Swaro’s at Cabelas and while the glass was DEFINITELY better, the rangefinder sucked compared to the Vortex. Not to mention that the Swaro’s cost 2.7 times the Vortex - they certainly weren’t 2.7 times better.

I also just looked up the warranty on the Big 3’s products and it’s worth noting that the warranty on NONE of the big 3 optics manufacturers can even touch the Vortex warranty, especially on the electronics.

This wouldn’t bother me much on standard binos, but binos with built in electronics that carry only a 1-2 year warranty on those electronics is too risky for me, especially when they’re $2-3k.

That’s fine. You asked my opinion. Let me be specific. I am completely underwhelmed with Vortex optics, and were it my money, I would absolutely invest it in one of the three I suggested because they are in my experience superior products - I have used them extensively. But if you have this all figured out, why ask?

That’s fine. You asked my opinion. Let me be specific. I am completely underwhelmed with Vortex optics, and were it my money, I would absolutely invest it in one of the three I suggested because they are in my experience superior products - I have used them extensively. But if you have this all figured out, why ask?
I have to agree with this.

More specifically I have purchased Vortex scopes and binos. The binos for my (now ex) wife. One trip to Africa and had an issue with a broken eye piece. Of course their warranty and service is top knotch. But they broke and had to be sent in. And I quickly tired of looking through the glass compared to my Zeiss and Swarovski's. Had also bought a mid to higher end Vortex scope with illuminated reticle that was on a fantastic sale price at Cabelas some years back. Tired of that also, especially all the junk that lit up worse than a Christmas tree. But the glass is decent, but not great. All I want illuminated is the aiming point. That ended up a gift to PHs son.

I think because of price and warranty, essentially with the young PHs in South Africa, Vortex has a following. Because it is way over there, seems they are likely to just be handed a new replacement for warranty. And then the tactical folks here seem to like Vortex.

Serious Professional Hunters I've hunted with, especially in the wilderness (where it better work!) outside of South Africa, all seem to have Leica, Swarovski, and a couple young ones had Leupold.

I did ask for opinions - “I'd love to hear from anyone who has them or who has used them in the field and what they think about them.”

You chimed with zero information I asked about and anecdotally mentioned what brands you felt were superior. I didn’t ask for opinions on the best glass ever made, not everyone can afford that. Are the Big 3 better products better than Vortex? Likely so, given that they’re 2-3X the cost.

At least ActionBob provided some information on actual Vortex products. Have you ever even held the binos I asked about? If not, then you can’t really address my original question.

If you’ve got some information to add about why Vortex underwhelms you, I’d love to hear it, especially if it’s specific to the product I asked about.

I looked at getting a pair of these to try and kill 2 birds with one stone. I wear glasses and did not like these at all. Might just be me, who knows. I ended up going with the razor bino and the rangefinder separate.
I looked at swaros and they are nicer and less eye strain but I just couldn’t do it. On a hunt in Colorado I did break my eye pc on my binos. Brought them to scheels in MN (where I live)and they exchanged them on the spot. But I did have to use the warranty.
I also just came back from New Mexico on an antelope hunt and the best I could get my 1800 yd rangefinder from vortex was right at 1000 yds. And that was only 2 times on a steady rest. Didn’t really need it but not what is advertised. Good luck

Buying one of the “big 3” simply because of their name plate doesn’t interest me. It’s kinda like telling someone who’s interest in a Camry to just buy either a BMW, Mercedes or Maserati.

I actually did look through the Swaro’s at Cabelas and while the glass was DEFINITELY better, the rangefinder sucked compared to the Vortex. Not to mention that the Swaro’s cost 2.7 times the Vortex - they certainly weren’t 2.7 times better.

I also just looked up the warranty on the Big 3’s products and it’s worth noting that the warranty on NONE of the big 3 optics manufacturers can even touch the Vortex warranty, especially on the electronics.

This wouldn’t bother me much on standard binos, but binos with built in electronics that carry only a 1-2 year warranty on those electronics is too risky for me, especially when they’re $2-3k.
I think the commonly accepted scenario on warrenty is that Vortex is second to non, but also that sooner or later you are going to need it.

Personally I prefer products that are such quality that they are more likely to not need to be warranted. And my experience with Swarovski (on a used scope with an illuminated reticle that was not working when I bought it), they were every bit as good as Vortex.

And a friend had scratched up his Zeiss binos and sent them in for a small repair on the eyepiece. They cleaned up the the glass and have him new cover . No charge.

I did ask for opinions - “I'd love to hear from anyone who has them or who has used them in the field and what they think about them.”

You chimed with zero information I asked about and anecdotally mentioned what brands you felt were superior. I didn’t ask for opinions on the best glass ever made, not everyone can afford that. Are the Big 3 better products better than Vortex? Likely so, given that they’re 2-3X the cost.

At least ActionBob provided some information on actual Vortex products. Have you ever even held the binos I asked about? If not, then you can’t really address my original question.

If you’ve got some information to add about why Vortex underwhelms you, I’d love to hear it, especially if it’s specific to the product I asked about.
Wow, not the way for a new member to start out here... Maybe on some other boards?

@Red Leg is a gentleman of considerable expertise and experience and a man who deserves a huge amount of respect.

I own a few Vortex products. No doubt the warranty is outstanding, but they have a considerable amount of fisheye when looking through and scanning. I posted the Zeiss link because the price point is a push and the glass is much higher quality. Budget will play a role in any decision made about hunting products. One other thing to look at is how long you will be using them for at a time. If you have a long session of glassing a ridge or field then the higher end brands will help with eye strain. If you will only be using them in the thickets to id animals then, Vortex would be a fine choice. Money spent on quality optics and cheaper rifle is better than nicer rifle with lesser optic on top.

I have owned one set of Vortex binoculars and two scopes. I now own one of the three - I think. The binoculars were given to a tracker, a PH’s son has one of the scopes mounted on his .22, and the third is likely in the gun room somewhere, but I am unsure exactly where. I know exactly where every one of my Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski optics are located. I have never had to have one repaired.

The binoculars were not the model you are looking at, and the scopes weren’t in your original question. However, all were Vortex and all were just ok when compared to first quality optics. That observation tracks with the dozens of others that I have seen in use in the field. None were Tasco’s by any means, but you seemed prepared to make a meaningful investment in optics, and I merely suggested a bit of looking and slightly higher investment would get you a significantly better quality optical instrument - not a name plate.

If that isn’t what you want to hear, fine, and I wish you every good fortune with whatever you purchase.

I’ve got the Sig KILO3000BDX binos and been pleased with the glass and range finding in them so far....haven’t been to the field with them yet, so won’t know how they hold up until this fall...Sig stuff is normally pretty durable so not worried about it...got them for about a grand on sale and if they don’t work out I’ll give them to my wife and get a pair of Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss ranging binos. Don’t know if Leupold make a pair of range finding binos with their HD glass but if they do I’d definitely take a look at those as the HD scope glass is excellent and they warranty their stuff for life.

Thanks for the posts, I appreciate the feedback, but it’s interesting that the guys who have posted on here about the “sub par” quality of Vortex as a brand haven’t listed the model of scope or binocular that they weren’t pleased with.

Their scopes run from about $129-$3700.
Their binos from about $89-$2000.

That’s a BIG range in price and quality. So, which product level Vortex are you trying to compare to the Big 3? If you’re talking about their low-mid range, $200-500 products, well then no duh they’re not going to compare to $2,000-3000 high end glass. But if you’re saying a Razor HD doesn’t compare, that’s a different story.

I’m curious, of the Vortex products that were so bad that you gave them away, how much did you spend on them, and how long ago were they purchased if you can’t remember which model they were? Also, I’d imagine like a lot of companies started within the last decade or so, their products have gotten better over time. So, if you had their early stuff, it likely doesn’t compare to what they’re building today.

I’m not trying to defend Vortex or say they’re as good as the Big 3, it’s just interesting how many people are essentially posting on here, and I exaggeratively paraphrase, “I had some Vortex products once and they sucked, so spend 2-3x more money for very best optics known to man.” It’s almost like hearing, “I had a Chevrolet Chevette back in 1986, what a POS, don’t ever a buy a Chevy product. It’s Lexus, BMW or Mercedes or nothing.”

Like I said earlier, I actually looked at the Swarovski’s and while the glass was awesome, the rangefinder was garbage. And when buying a combo product, it needs to do both well, especially for $3,200. I wouldn’t buy those even if they were the same price as the Vortex. To be fair, I haven’t looked through the Zeiss or Leica, but for what they cost, they should come with a lifetime warranty on the electronics. After all, if they’re THAT good, they shouldn’t be afraid to stand behind them.

But like someone said earlier, better to not need the warranty at all in the 1st place and I agree on standard optics. But when they’ve got integrated electronics, I’m not willing to risk it, especially if it’s something I plan on keeping and using for decades.

This thread also reminds me of a Tommy Boy quote, “if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will, I’ve got time.” LOL

It seems you already decided on Vortex and just looking for validation from individuals on this site. Buy whichever makes you happy.

I’ve owned scopes:
Diamondback
Crossfire
Razor HD
Razor HD gen 2
Viper PST

Spotting scope Razor HD
Range finder Ranger 1000

Red Dot Venom and Viper

All have been sold or removed from rifles and sitting in cabinet minus the red dots. Those are mounted on handguns and work just fine. All others never used past range days. I’d would gladly take any Leupold over any Vortex. Last one removed was Aug 2019.

Not looking for validation, was just looking for real world feedback on a specific product I was interested in.

Guess I’ll keep waiting.

Gater, I have been in the market for a bino/rf unit for a couple of years now, and have seen and used them all except for the new GPO unit that's not available yet, and the new Meopta made Leupold unit, which is a rebadged Meorange, which is fantastic.

I have compared the Nikon Laserforce, Vortex Fury, and Sig Kilo3000 but only in the parking lot at Cabelas, which was better than nothing, and definitely better than indoors only. The glass was comparable in all of them, and I'd give a slight edge on rf *to the Sig unit as it was definitely the fastest. The Vortex worked fine, and Nikon was deadass last of the bunch. Nikon's customer service is a joke.

There have been numerous accounts on sniperhide and 24 hour campfire of Swaro RF failures in their unit. It's not all that reliable from what I've read from people who've actually used it for a while. The glass is great. I owned a Leica Geovid unit for a short while and used it out in the field, a discontinued HD unit of newer, dual hinge configuration. The RF was rated at 2000 yds. It was fine in good weather, but when the temps dropped to 32* the unit wouldn't read past 250-300 yards. Unacceptable. The new Zeiss unit has the best glass of them all, and is very fast....and expensive. Leica's CS is hit and miss, and IME is piss poor. They couldn't even get the warranty registered correctly on my Geovids. I sent them back and got a refund, and won't own a Leica anything again.

One thing is guaranteeed when electronics are concerned, that being they will fail at some point. While I'm not necessarily a Vortex fan, in this case the warranty on the Fury will definitely give a guy peace of mind when the RF unit dies, and it will, period. I can see the Fury being a reasonable choice here, and the glass is definitely good enough.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

You’re supporting my exact point on the warranty of a combo unit. The electronics are likely going to fail eventually, regardless of who’s nameplate is on the unit. The Big 3 have unimpressive warranties on their electronics, so that doesn’t instill confidence.

Again, for straight up binos, scopes, spotting scopes, etc, there’s no doubt the euro glass is superior- but they're optics companies, not electronics companies.

I found this video interesting, the reviewer seemed to think the Fury HD 5000 was a good value.

I’m trying to think objectively about the big picture on this purchase, but I get the feeling that a lot of the AH crowd is very sensitive about even inferring that Euro glass may not be the best option in every instance.

I do own several nice binos, including Swaro SV, Meostar HD, Swaro SLC, and a few others. For over 15 years we were a small time outfitter for whitetails, muleys, antelope, aoudad sheep. We had over 150 hunters in camp and I got to see and use most everything that I didn't own, and that was a big sample of binocs, spotters, RF;s, etc. While I do think the top end Swaro's, Leica's and Zeiss and Nikon EDG optics are the best (The 10x50 SV has no peer IMHO), pretending you can see things through the alpha stuff that you can't see equally as well with a Conquest HD, Meostar HD, TractToric UHD, Gold Ring HD, Razor HD, or even a Viper HD......well, you're just kidding yourself. We spent hours behind glass in the wide open W TX spaces, and I still do, only for myself. The Fury's remind me of somewhere in between the Viper HD and Razor HD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg