US $$ in and out of Zimbabwe

Flipper Dude

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hey guys. Anyone have the latest practical info on bring in lots of cash for safari? Leaving with leftover cash , if any? Customs form 47?

Thanks!

I believe as usual, international travel puts a limit of $10000, before you need to declare and do paperwork.

Zimbabwe will love to see you come with as much as possible, but I’ve been told that when they see large amounts entering, they might try to stop you from leaving with it again. So whatever you bring, pretty much make sure at the nearest few 1000$ you’ll be spending it anyway.

snippet off the internet

It’s illegal to leave Zimbabwe with more than USD $2,000 (or equivalent) in cash, unless it is left over from funds which you have brought in yourself and declared on arrival. You should keep the proof of declaration to avoid problems with officials on exit. It’s illegal to exchange foreign currency anywhere other than at officially licensed dealers (e.g. banks or bureau de change).

I am actually going in July, do you still have to declare it if you plan on spending it ?

"The import of cash is still possible in unlimited amounts. However, it is essential to declare the amount imported to Zimbabwean customs upon entry, so that the remaining amount can be brought back when leaving the country".

copied for you from the information page of the German Foreign Office.

I am actually going in July, do you still have to declare it if you plan on spending it ?
I would assume it would be a little unkosher to have any undeclared cash even if you plan to use it all ?
I went through a road check point with $7000 in cash and was glad I had my paperwork in order even though I didn’t have a problem

I did declare my cash when entering and was given a receipt of sorts I think. Otherwise, no issue.

I don't think you're required to declare how much money you're bringing into Zimbabwe (subject to the normal $10K limit I think) - so long as you don't care about taking any out.

If you want to - or just might - take some money out - and you've declared none upon entry, then you will 'technically' have to smuggle it out. And if you're caught, it won't be a defence to say you brought it in with you. I have to say in a number of trips I've never been asked on the way in or out how much money I have on me.

Personally, I don't find it a comfortable situation to tell someone in authority that I'm carrying five or more times their annual salary in my pocket. I generally bring in what I think I'll need for tips, apart from my PH, and so generally leave with very little cash. My PH gets paid by wire transfer when I get home. That allows him to direct the money to a more congenial location than Zimbabwe, which he appreciates.

Good point I plan on taking more then $10k and really do not feel comfortable letting anyone know I am carrying that much cash. Something I will bring up with my PH.

Good point I plan on taking more then $10k and really do not feel comfortable letting anyone know I am carrying that much cash. Something I will bring up with my PH.
Are you taking that much because you plan to pay for your safari in cash? Tips are pretty well known in advance and I wouldn’t declare normal amounts. There are a lot of variables in the final hunt cost. In this case, I’d declare it on arrival if you are paying for safari in case you leave with a large amount. You also need to declare with us customs when leaving USA with more than $10,000.

Yes, I plan on paying for the safari in cash.

Yes, I plan on paying for the safari in cash.
I pretty much do the same; and ya‘ that’ll bother folks on forums, oh well.

So here’s what I did in a couple trips to Zim, last in 21’. I declared the extra funds. I know what I’m dropping on day rate balance, tips, activities outside the hunting part of the trip and I figure I’m going to be taking something in trophy fees in 10 days. So I declare a part of my total, what I have as extra to cover additional trophy fees.That gives me a receipt for leaving if required. I have not been asked about exiting with money, but was asked when entering. I have been asked about how much ammo I used, so I always put a mix box together of live rounds and brass to have something, and say I used up the rest or lost in the field.

And yes, cash gets a discount, and it’s not an insignificant amount either. Lodging outside the safari is about 2/3 the book rate.

Personally, I would never take that much cash anywhere. Just wire your outfitter the money. For tip money head to an ATM they dispense USD.

On a side note why would you want to fill out the form for Uncle Sugar. Not me.

No way I bring that kind of cash on a hunt.
Example:
80K Lion/leopard/cape hunt in Tanzania.
20K at booking
50K 60 days out
The next amount is based on outfitter…some will have you pay final balance before you arrive and others when you get home. Tip for staff is in cash. Most PH’s have a bank set up for wiring the tip.
I would not feel comfortable arriving in Dar es Salam with over 20K in cash…that’s asking for trouble.

HH

Personally, I would never take that much cash anywhere. Just wire your outfitter the money. For tip money head to an ATM they dispense USD.
Zimbabwe has a USD shortage, especially smaller bills. You need to bring the money over. There won’t be an ATM with the amount of USD available for normal tips.

I'd take the tip money but there is no way that I'd pack $10k+ on me.

There are just way too many things that can happen from the airport to camp.

I personally only travel with enough cash to pay tips to the local staff. Usually around $2,000. I pay my PH and tip him with a wire transfer when I get back to the U.S. I don't like to carry a lot of cash for all the obvious reasons. I have never declared that amount of cash either entering or leaving any of the African countries I have hunted in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!