Typhoid Vaccine

I took it, my 23 year old son took it, and my wife took, it because it was recommended by the local international travel clinic.

That one does not concern me.

Interject bullshit politics and I don't trust any government.

I take everything recommended, unless I know that only politics are the driver.

Even rabies (probably, because my employer pays for it).

No one can call me anti-vax!

My job requires me to trap/capture foxes, racoons, skunks, etc., therefore the free rabies vax.

My job requires me to trap/capture foxes, racoons, skunks, etc., therefore the free rabies vax.
How long does the rabies vaccine last?

Reactions: CJW
Being retired military I am very familiar with what vaccines are required for various countries.

I contacted a friend still active military and requested a copy of the regulations regarding vaccines for South Africa.

I had the following vaccines and meds:

Yellow Fever
Tetanus shot (which everyone should get)
Miliaria (tablets, Doxycycline)(RSA Very low risk probability) ( prescription in hand)
Doxycyclone (for pain and antibiotic for injuries) (prescription in hand)
Aspirin (as an anti inflammatory)
Rolaids/Tums (indigestion, heartburn, other gastric problems)

Other OTC meds:

Sunscreen/sun tan lotion
Chapstick/lip balm
Ben Gay/Aspricream ( muscle spasms, arthritis pain relief, joint pain relief)
Hydrogen peroxide (cleaning wounds)
Alcohol (rubbing/ sterilizing 90% for cuts, scratches, similar wounds)

RSA requires certain vaccines for children of certain ages to have various vaccines prior to entry.

You can Google the phone number for the RSA Embassy in Washington DC contact them for the lists. I had a good experience dealing with them about recommended vaccines.

Many may have a different opinion, but IMO, it is better to have the above vaccines as a minimum just in case something was to happen to avoid your health insurance company from denying a claim because you didn't get the proper preventative vaccine(s) prior the trip.

Being retired military I am very familiar with what vaccines are required for various countries.

I contacted a friend still active military and requested a copy of the regulations regarding vaccines for South Africa.

Yellow Fever
Miliaria (tablets, Doxycycline)(RSA Very low risk probability) ( prescription in hand)

Other OTC meds:

Sunscreen/sun tan lotion
Chapstick/lip balm

RSA requires certain vaccines for children of certain ages to have various vaccines prior to entry.

You can Google the phone number for the RSA Embassy in Washington DC contact them for the lists. I had a good experience dealing with them about recommended vaccines.

Many may have a different opinion, but IMO, it is better to have the above vaccines as a minimum just in case something was to happen to avoid your health insurance company from denying a claim because you didn't get the proper preventative vaccine(s) prior the trip.
What about a typhoid vaccine? Several people on here seem to have received one at various times. I would also think a pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine might be even more necessary than some of the other lower risk virus/bacterial diseases?

Last edited:
I get a titer done every year to see if I need a reboost.

I think the rabies vax last about 2 years.

Has anyone heard of a having to get a Typhoid shot for South Africa ? My son is 13 and his pediatrician is saying he needs a Typhoid shot prior to our trip in June.
No nothing is needed for RSA Except tetanus maybe. Don’t get any vaccines that are unnecessary.

Yellow Fever

Other OTC meds:

Sunscreen/sun tan lotion
Chapstick/lip balm

There are no required vaccines for Southern Africa with the exception of Yellow Fever for Zambia or countries further north.
You might want to rephrase to “recommended vaccines”.
I just don’t want more online hysteria here on AH due to bad information.
thanks
Philip

I worked in Angola and Nigeria for a total of about 12 years. I wore out my first WHO shot record booklet and now have a second one. Tetanus, PPD(tuberculosis), Typhoid, Polio, HepA/HepB, Cholera, MMR (mumps, measles, rubella), rabies and TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis). The Cholera shot is noted as (NG) which is "Not Given" because it is a painful injection and doesn't work all that well. Wash your hands and drink clean water and you don't get cholera.

Has anyone heard of a having to get a Typhoid shot for South Africa ? My son is 13 and his pediatrician is saying he needs a Typhoid shot prior to our trip in June.
Yes. Last week I got a typhoid vaccine for my upcoming Zim trip and also re-upped my tetanus and hepatitis vaccines at the same time. I won’t get the ineffective COVID jabs but the others are proven and certainly worth the trouble IMO. Guess that makes me anti-vax LOL.

Yes. Last week I got a typhoid vaccine for my upcoming Zim trip and also re-upped my tetanus and hepatitis vaccines at the same time. I won’t get the ineffective COVID jabs but the others are proven and certainly worth the trouble IMO. Guess that makes me anti-vax LOL.
Did you happen to get a rabies vaccine for Zim?

Reactions: RTG
In Australia we are strongly encouraged to get Yellow Fever, Tetanus, Typhoid, Diphtneria, Hep A and an anti malarial course of tablets for RSA trips. And of course Covid + boosters
Interesting? A DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis (Whooping cough), Tetanus) vaccine is given to children here at a young age and boosters continued through adulthood. When I got vaccinated for shingles (since I had chickenpox as a kid) a few months ago, I mentioned to my doctor I would be travelling to RSA. He told me I was up to date with the DPT and no other vaccines were required and have fun. Guess it just depends on who one asks? I've travelled to Mexico/Caribbean several times and you'd think they would have all sorts of nasty stuff there, but apparently no special vaccines/precautions are required. This thread on travelling to Africa now has me wondering about diseases/vaccines "recommendations" for other parts of the world that neither I or anyone I know has ever been concerned about?

If you're going to get typhoid vaccine, don't bother searching for the pills right now. Only option is the shot. The pill option got shut down a while back which I'm sure was due to the lack of international travel. No clue if they are going to be starting production again anytime soon.

There are no required vaccines for Southern Africa with the exception of Yellow Fever for Zambia or countries further north.
You might want to rephrase to “recommended vaccines”.
I just don’t want more online hysteria here on AH due to bad information.
thanks
Philip

My wording should have been more direct. I am referring to what vaccines the military regulations requires soldiers deploying are suppose to receive.

I also had the Hepatitis and DPT vaccines. I will have to look at my "shot card" for other vaccines.

For civilians the CDC provides lists of recommended vaccines by country.

Should "tourist", vacationers, hunters, etc wanting to take children under various minimum ages, refer to that country's requirements, i.e. South Africa for required vaccines for children under (13?, I think) years of age to entry.

Question: Can you enter a foreign country without having the recommended or required vaccines?
Answer: Depends on how strict those checking you though that country's immigration is/are.

It is the responsibility of military commanders to insure soldiers are properly immunized prior to deployment (s).

It is the soldier's responsibility to ask if there are any required vaccinations prior to deploying to that/ those particular country/countries.

Should a soldier or soldiers become sick without having been properly immunized Both {parties} can be held liable depending on circumstances:

1. Soldier refused to be properly vaccinated.

2. Commanders refused, denied, prevented, failed in their {commander's duty} to insure proper vaccines were available for and properly administered to soldiers prior to deployment.

Civilians are on their own as to whether or not to be vaccinated. Thus assume solely all responsibility should they become sick or injured why in a foreign country outside U.S. jurisdiction.

Each individual should check their individual health insurance policy/policies for "loopholes" their health insurance policy/policies provider(s) have to legally deny any claim. Most notably the "War Clause" [ most insurance policies limit or deny coverage outside the U.S. borders and certain "high risk" activities] that is in every insurance policy I have purchased, sold, or read in detail.

This is why I recommend everyone planning a vacation outside the continental U.S., Alaska and Hawaii to review their insurance policy/policies. And as such if necessary purchase temporary overseas travel insurance, i.e. Global Rescue or alike insurance policy.

Bottom line: It is every individual's choice whether or not to get properly vaccinated. It is the parent or parents or legal guardian(s) choice to get their children properly immunized prior to entering any foreign country in accordance and have on them the required documentation of proof of having the proper vaccinations within that country's immigration requirements.

Will countries allow foreigners to legally enter without being properly vaccinated? Maybe or Maybe not.

That is why it is recommended to contact the embassy/embassies of foreign country/countries during the planning process to get their respective recommendation (s)/requirements.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,