Typhoid Vaccine

Dakota Hunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone heard of a having to get a Typhoid shot for South Africa ? My son is 13 and his pediatrician is saying he needs a Typhoid shot prior to our trip in June.

Your pediatrician needs to get out more.

Salmonella Typhi, the bacterium that causes Typhoid fever is endemic in South Africa, in general the country sees fewer than 150 cases a year. Typhoid fever is a life-threatening bacterial infection. Typhoid fever is still common in the developing world, where it affects about 21 million people annually.Feb 16, 2022

For both my trips, I took a five pill regimen. I was told it lasts five years, whereas the shot, I believe, was three.

I did the shot. It lasts 2 years per the nurse at Travel Health. Optional, not required, is what I was advised.

She said it was fairly low risk with the issue potentially being an infected worker in a restaurant or something similar.

Risk assessment is an individual matter.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destin...th-africa?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001
Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 17.56.17.png

My Travel clinic suggested Rabies vaccine for my trips to Namibia. I chose not to. Simply avoiding the risks was my plan of action.

I stay current on typhoid.

RSA didn't require it for my two trips, one being just last year. But my doctor did recommend it in 2012 or 2013 for my 2013 trip to Namibia, just in case. I had it as a shot in the Air Force every year. But the oral regimen I had for 2013 lasted longer.

Went there last year with my 13 year old son too. Doctor told me he will be fine without it. Traveling around South Africa was fine as no one asked about anything other than our negative test for Covid. To be honest I had a book of documents with me that was notarize, again no one asked.

flew into Jberg then flew to port Elizabeth for 10 days, then flew to Cape Town for five days then back home.

I don't trust anything the CDC says. If you went by them and the State Department, you wouldn't leave your street.

Has anyone heard of a having to get a Typhoid shot for South Africa ? My son is 13 and his pediatrician is saying he needs a Typhoid shot prior to our trip in June.

I'm curious as to the context of the word "need" as your doctor said it. Is he confused as to the vaccination requirements of RSA or is he just of the strong opinion that your son should have the vaccine? Big difference.

I too have taken the shot for that. Why not?

I had it prior to our Africa trip this past spring, no issues. Good prevention even though risk is low.

I don't trust anything the CDC says. If you went by them and the State Department, you wouldn't leave your street.
MONKEYPOX is coming to Delaware @Hogpatrol! One if by land, two if by sea. Ha! Ha! Ha!

MONKEYPOX is coming to Delaware @Hogpatrol! One if by land, two if by sea. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Yowza! I'm going to call my travel health provider, my PCP and all pertinent government agencies for guidance. Probably be a Level 4 do not travel to countries where monkeys live and a warning to stay away from zoos here in the U.S. Google info says there's a vaccine in trials but the side effects are
excessive body hair growth, toe and finger lengthening, moving about on all fours and an insatiable desire for bananas.

Yowza! I'm going to call my travel health provider, my PCP and all pertinent government agencies for guidance. Probably be a Level 4 do not travel to countries where monkeys live and a warning to stay away from zoos here in the U.S. Google info says there's a vaccine in trials but the side effects are
excessive body hair growth, toe and finger lengthening, moving about on all fours and an insatiable desire for bananas.
I was reading somewhere where your balls turn blue too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.