Tough Bullet?

High Desert Hunter

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 25, 2014
Messages
141
Reaction score
74
I went out shooting last weekend, and took my 375 Ruger in addition to some handguns. For the Ruger, I was shooting at an old well pump housing, 1/16" steel, then 1/4" of aluminum with a bunch of gears and a circuit card inside. The Hornady 300gr FMJ punched right through, and then approximately 21" into the dirt berm behind the target, not loose dirt either. This was from 28 yards, I was trying to shoot 3 times as quickly as I could and keep them all centered on this 14"x16" target. IMG_0802.jpg
There is one unfired bullet for comparison. I am wondering if anyone has ever used this bullet in Africa, and if so, how did they perform?

Dave
 
Since I'm clueless; how are FMJ's different than solids?
 
Well I think 20 years ago a lot people used them as their solid load for Cape buffalo and elephant hunting. The solids today are more stronger metal and design, they don't change coarse after hitting bone. And they don't deform, you can practically reload them again in some cases.
 
Thanks! They definitely aren't solids, but I was surprised at how tough these appear to be. I prefer a flat nose for better straight line penetration, but these are inexpensive trigger time bullets.
 
Thanks! They definitely aren't solids, but I was surprised at how tough these appear to be. I prefer a flat nose for better straight line penetration, but these are inexpensive trigger time bullets.

Yes, they are solids. I used the same brand bullet to take my 2nd buffalo (1990) with one shot, bang flop! It was a copper and steel jacket over lead. They are not monolithic solids, one metal, but they are still a solid, same as a FMJ, full metal jacket.
 
These must be different, they don't have a steel jacket, they are a thick gilding metal jacket over a lead core. They are tough, but unlike the new Hornady Solids, a magnet will not stick to them. These are the ones I am shooting: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .375 375 CAL :: 375 Cal .375 300 gr FMJ Encapsulated .

Hi Dave, I know the bullet you mean. Mine were the older steel jacket ones, like the "new" ones I guess. Either way, if its full jacketed, its a solid regardless whether there is steel or not. In the old days, before mono bullets, that is what FMJ lead core bullets were called by everyone, a solid.
 
It wasn't until Barnes got into business that the whole solid bullet line changed to what you have today. Back in the day, FMJ was a solid....and the usual load for tough game shots.
 
Got it! I was thinking of the monolithic solids. Even without a steel jacket, I am surprised at how tough these are. I am going to have to buy a box of the new style Hornady solids one of these days and do some non-scientific comparison testing. Thank you guys for the replies, I really appreciate them.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,357
Messages
1,574,083
Members
169,896
Latest member
jun88srcom
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top