Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hi culinary inclined members of AH,

I just purchased an industrial grinder for the production of minced meat (for bolognaise sauces) and sausages. But I have actually never produced either up until now. Obviously I purchased some dried intestines as well, to be able to produce the sausages with, as well as some bratwurst seasoning for the meat.

My goal is to produce fresh sausages that I can then freeze and put on the bbq grill or cook in a flat pan, as we usually do here in Belgium. For the moment I mainly have access to wild boar meat, so that will be my primary ingredient.

Does anyone want to share their tips, suggestions and prep ideas, so this will be a success from the start for me? (and for my fiancee, who otherwise will put an early stop to this experimenting :) )

Thanks and cheers!

V.

Never made Bratwurst but a fair amount of our Boerewors. Boerewors is minced a lot coarser than Bratwurst. If you can get your hand on some Boerewors spice from our Crown National company , I would gladly assist you with that.
Generally if I mince, I cut up my meat and fat in blocks and spice it in a big mixing container and leave it overnight that the spices can pull into the meat. And then I mince the pre spiced meat with the mincer. And off it goes in the sausage stuffer which is a 2 man job.
The intestines you need to soak in luke warm water before use. Then you take the one end of the sausage casing, open it up with your fingers and drag it through the water with the open end so that water can enter the inside of the nozzle. This help to push the casing over the sausage stuffer casing.
Be careful not to stuff to fast, otherwise the casing can/will rupture

Never made Bratwurst but a fair amount of our Boerewors. Boerewors is minced a lot coarser than Bratwurst. If you can get your hand on some Boerewors spice from our Crown National company , I would gladly assist you with that.
Generally if I mince, I cut up my meat and fat in blocks and spice it in a big mixing container and leave it overnight that the spices can pull into the meat. And then I mince the pre spiced meat with the mincer. And off it goes in the sausage stuffer which is a 2 man job.
The intestines you need to soak in luke warm water before use. Then you take the one end of the sausage casing, open it up with your fingers and drag it through the water with the open end so that water can enter the inside of the nozzle. This help to push the casing over the sausage stuffer casing.
Be careful not to stuff to fast, otherwise the casing can/will rupture
Thanks Jörg, indeed I would rather make Boerewors (what we call boerenworst over here), I just did not know that there was a difference between the two in the coarseness of the grinding.

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks @BourbonTrail, I had read those, but still had a lot of questions :)

Specifically on how to make fresh sausage, that I'll be able to put into the freezer, for grilling or frying in a pan later on.

What @Zambezi said is absolutely correct.
Bratwurst is very fine. The fat that gets used in Boerewors does not need to be fine as it melts from the heat of the fire. If Boerenworst and Boerewors is the same, I cannot say. A lot of people use sheep's tail fat but that is not cheap. I use Brisket fat from cattle.

Last edited:
Thanks @BourbonTrail, I had read those, but still had a lot of questions :)

Specifically on how to make fresh sausage, that I'll be able to put into the freezer, for grilling or frying in a pan later on.
Fat gets rancid after a while even, in the deepfreeze . I do not freeze sausage for longer than 4-6 months. In my opinion it looses quality as well. I rather make batches that last me that long and use that up, and then rather make a new batch. What I well do, is cut my meat up in blocks before hand and put it in freezer bags with the weight of the packet of meat tagged on it. Then when you make a new batch you know the weight of the meat and buy fresh fat to mix in with the amount of meat you want to use.
If you want to store sausages for longer in the deep freeze, I would invest in a quality vacuum pack sealer. It stays fresh a lot longer that way.

Enjoy making your Wild Boar Boerewors !!

Once only through the mincer course is better than fine.
Ice cubes together with the meat chunks before mincing
20% sheep fat
20% pork
No artificial casings
Let it rest 24 hrs before going to the freezer
Spices to your own taste

Looks like a lot of good advice here.
I made sausages once, I know a lot in theory from interest.

Tried Boerwors in SA, .

Keeping it cold is important. In Australia our Sausage is finely minced meat with probably about 20-30% pork fat. The Sausage meal binds the meat with cold water. It's like adding breadcrumb and spice etc.

I prefer Natural casings.

Some places do a Continental Sausage. It's Coarse ground Pork with a % of fat. Probably that 20-30% again.
The continental sausages don't use the sausage meal but just salt, pepper and spice. I think a little garlic and Fennel are common.

I think experienced butchers can judge the meat/fat ratio visually.

I like the idea of small batches or at least variety because you only eat so many sausages.

Italian type Salami can be cured in cool weather. Haven't done it but a curing mix is available for home use. It's a good use of pork

Maybe do o some with a mate share the sausage and the cost so you get more turnover.

On Australia we can buy small bags of meal in flavour varieties.

Look at eBay for sausage meal and smallgoods seasonings.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!